Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much did pesach food cost you?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

happyone

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:17 pm
Under $500
500-1000
1000-2000
2000-3000
3000+

What size family ??

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:22 pm
I think we spent about $800 this year on pesach expenses (including some non food items). Family of 4, 2 adults and 2 little kids. We went out for 2 meals and had 2 adult guests for one meal.

MamaBear

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:26 pm
A better question, imo, would be how much more did Passover cost you? It always costs my family $ to eat Wink

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:27 pm
I spent $900 in the grocery for a family of 4 children and two adults but we had my inlaws over for the first days, and my sister and her kids for the end days.
My FIL gave me free chicken since he works in shechita and that's what he gets from his company...that was another $200.00 worth and my FIL purchased our matzah was $325.00 and about another $100.00 on wine. Total food cost was about: $1525.00

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:39 pm
We spent $700 on Pesach in supermarket, not only food for a family of 5.

boysrus

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:41 pm
total food cost for family of 8, plus guests for a couplr of meals = approx 1150. OOT USA

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 4:06 pm
1000-2000

Family of 6. Hosted two sedarim with around 20 people at each.

Hosted in laws for the last days.

We overbought pesach foods this year after doing really well last year. Luckily the things we overbought are not pesach-specific foods like cake mixes. DH did some of the Pesach shopping and he tends to overbuy.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:13 pm
I am curious to hear from those who splurged...but I guess they usually arent the one to keep track of the dollars and cents amount.

My mom ( with a lot of guest) probably spent around $15,000 on yom tov food.

justforfun87

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:16 pm
We are a family of 4 with two small kids. I would say just groceries was about 600 or so. We were home only for night meals though with some guests. We did buy two big pieces of meat which is not the norm for us. Not including matzah and wine.

Classicookie

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:32 pm
I would say between 500-800 don't have an exact count family of 5 and hosted guest for 2 Yom tov meals and had family over for supper one night then breakfast in the morning.but still have meat and chiken in my freezer some soup and meatballs which are all good year round

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:48 pm
We spent about 3k, family of 5.

Includes cases of fancy wines, matza, and cases of chicken and meat which will last for a while (I hope!!)

(Edited because I realized that the original total included regular expenses like utilities too.)

amother
Tan

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:50 pm
this thread is making me feel a lot better about how much I spent Smile

Sudy

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:56 pm
Family of 7

We spent approx $800 total including wine and matzoh.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 6:21 pm
a heck of a lot.

We ordered 40+ lbs. of shmura matzah.

Went though more than 500 eggs.

50 lbs. of potatoes.

Massive amounts of fresh fruit & veg, not to mention chicken, meat & fish.

We were about 30 ppl. at all meals, all Pesach.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 6:30 pm
Family of 8. Spent around $1800 including wine and matzoh.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 6:32 pm
We spent $1700 (includes paper goods and such) for family of 4 with some guests at each yom tov meal (no guests over chol hamoed). This was over a period of 3 weeks and we usually spend $1000 over such a period of time so the numbers don't seem bad.
But it's so much at once including $1000 for new wardrobes for the kids which is not a Pesach expense but this expense is right on top of the other, then there was $400 in hardware (yes Pesach related) and $225 in chol hamoed activities, and to top it off we're down a full paycheck for the week of chol hamoed. So it's tough. But bh we had a beautiful yom tov and have a lot to be grateful for.

Maya

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 6:56 pm
Family of four, $650, but we were only home for the first days and chol hamoed.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 8:29 pm
We eat only machine matza - big savings: $54
Wine - seder plus every wine at every yom tov meal and once a day on chol hamoed: $150
Meat (we don't eat chicken and eat meat every yom tov meal and once a day over chol hamoed): $300
Tons of fruits and vegetables and lettuce (trying to eat healthy - lots of salads)

At least $1200 on just food for the week. Approx 4 adults and 4 children at every meal.

BUT - my food bills for the 2 weeks before pesach were half of what they typically are so it helps a tiny bit.

by chance all our chol hamoed activities were 100% free and a ton of fun (full days every day) so that was a savings over other years.

Mevater

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
I am curious to hear from those who splurged...but I guess they usually arent the one to keep track of the dollars and cents amount.

What did she buy for $15,000? Ive never heard of spending that much on one week unless shes a hotel owner. How many guests?

doctorima

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:

Whoa!! I know that Pesach food is expensive, but which aisle did I miss out on with products that cost $15,000? Did she buy a new car for Yom Tov?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics