Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
DH doesnt like my gown :(
1  2  Next

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:14 pm
I finally found a gown for Dh's sisters wedding which is in a month. I am 6 months pregnant and the gown is a form fitting type that kind of accentuates my belly. I am small everywhere else. DH just told me that he really doesnt like fitted gowns on pregnant women. I hear him- I think I knew in the back of my head that he didnt like the showy tummy look but everyone at the store told me it looks really good and I shouldn't go for the classic baggy/ sheath dress.
I am most likley going to keep the gown but I am looking for your opinions about fitted maternity!!! Is it tacky????????? Is it better than looking like a shapeless box???? Opinions needed!!! Dont hold back!!!!
(side point: the material is not clingy- like you wont be seeing an out-y belly button. but its definitely form fitting. think mermaid dress style)

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:18 pm
well you said dont hold anything back so here it goes, gross!!!!

momofqts

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:19 pm
Its a fashion issue or tznius issue?

sourstix

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:24 pm
pleeeeeease listen to your dh. do what is right and get rid of it. you asked for opinions. its the form fitting that is bothering me. I can clearly see why your dh doesnt like it. hes a erliche guy. appreciate it.

Sake

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:24 pm
It's up to you and dh's preference is really just that, a preference. Unless he voices a founded objection. Personally, I like the subtle mommy tummy emphasis. I think what you describe sounds elegant! What colour did you pick?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:32 pm
The shapeless box look is horrible. I would only wear the look you are describing. A pregnant belly is beautiful. Not meant to be hidden.

cnc

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:39 pm
There's something in between shapeless and mermaid style. You don't need to wear something shapeless, but I would definitely not wear a form fitting mermaid style during pregnancy.
There are some things that are better left to the imagination, instead of being clearly visible.

tryinghard

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:39 pm
Empire waisted dresses can work really well - someone posted this on another thread today: http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk.....t=yes

rofa

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:06 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Empire waisted dresses can work really well - someone posted this on another thread today: http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk.....t=yes

wss.

When pregnant I like to keep it simple- like this one

http://www.jjshouse.com/Empire.....w_wcB

I'd dress it up with a stunning, showy necklace. Or a fresh flower necklace, which is something I've always dreamed of.

MamaBear

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:11 pm
Honestly, whenever I see a pregnant woman wear a tight form fitting dress, I end up staring at her body for a moment. I can't imagine I'm the only one. Do you really want that at someone else's simcha?

Go for a classier look - there are plenty that are not shapeless.

happy12

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:14 pm
Listen to your husband. Do you want him to be disappointed the whole time by his siblings wedding and anytime he looks at the pictures afterwards.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:19 pm
I wouldn't wear it. My brother got engaged tonight and I will probably be in my 9th month by the wedding. I am dreading looking for a gown. I definitely wouldn't soba dorm fitting gown because I hate the look. I can't even stand when pregnant women wear dresses....

greenfire

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:25 pm
what else do women hide - their boobs ... gosharuni

Butterfly

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:10 am
OP have you considered the possible fact that the dress might show more shape in a month from now being that baby grows and tummy expands quite a bit during every passing week within the third trimester?

little_mage

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 6:11 am
It's not my style. That being said, I think that if you like it and it makes you feel good, go for it. I know by the time I get towards the end of a pregnancy, I just start feeling fat and ugly. You're the one who has to wear the dress, so you get final say.

Dandelion1

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:03 am
I think it depends on the type of relationship you have with your dh. Some couples are very hands off in terms of independent decisions and some are more involved in each other's day to day choices.

That said, in this case, it's not like he's telling you he doesn't like the shade of green you chose, it's more of an overall look.... The accentuated pregnant tummy is a choice, but realize that your gonna have a bunch of people who really love it, and another bunch (probably larger) who are going to think it's in really bad taste. Only you can decide if you are comfortable with that, especially if your dh is one of them.

esther09

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:11 am
Most people aren't going to agree with me but I don't understand the big deal.

You are the one that is pregnant, dealing with going to a simcha with a body that is not what you're used to. So, YOU are the one that gets to decide what makes you feel comfortable and beautiful.

Dandelion1

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:21 am
esther09 wrote:

You are the one that is pregnant, dealing with going to a simcha with a body that is not what you're used to. So, YOU are the one that gets to decide what makes you feel comfortable and beautiful.

Obviously she gets to decide. As does anyone who dresses themselves. But feeling "comfortable and beautiful" can quickly be undone by an embarrassed unhappy dh, and an uncomfortable feeling that others find your choice distasteful.

cnc

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:26 am
esther09 wrote:

Of course.
But she asked for our honest opinions and I gave her mine.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:34 am
First of all, I think it's awesome that you are comfortable with your pg body.

But... marriage is a partnership, and your DH obviously has strong feelings about this. That needs to be taken into consideration.

I think that an empire waist would be very flattering, still be form fitting on top, and would be a good compromise. It will also give you extra room in case your size goes up more than you expected before the simcha. Empire waists look lovely on non pg women too, so you'll get more use out of it later on, so win/win.

If I were you, I would return the dress you bought, and look at dresses online with DH. Use the time to bond with him, and discuss what you can both agree on. Who knows, it could be a fun experience for both of you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics