Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please help with protein ideas to send for school lunch
1  2  3  4  Next

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:17 am
Need two kinds of help: Urgent tonight help, and ideas to prepare for the future so I don't keep needing urgent tonight helps anymore.

Here's the catch:
No gluten
No dairy
No nuts including peanuts and tree nuts

Today I sent two options because I wasn't sure either would go over well - mini tuna wraps and a hard boiled egg (with some embellishments Smile ) DD liked and ate both. So that's on the menu for the future but I don't want to repeat the same thing too often or she will get sick of it. So back to the drawing board for tomorrow.

for the future I want to look into buying SunButter (anyone know how much to expect to pay for it? Amazon is like $10 a jar, is that normal?!) and make sandwiches with that. Will need to work out gf bread too but ok... whatever.

She is usually pretty good with chicken, so that's one idea. Will need to make some... sigh. A little late for that tonight.

We don't do deli meats because of health concerns. She likes roast like we make for yomtov as well as meatballs but that's not going to stay warm until lunchtime and I can't imagine it being very appetizing cold. So I guess meat will be home protein, because we are sure going to need to come up with more ideas for home as well.

Desperate for more school lunch ideas! Please help!

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:21 am
forgot to mention child also strongly dislikes anything with beans including hummus. Yikes.

pumpernickle

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:27 am
Does he like different types of fish like white fish or lox spreads?

How about avocado?

Sardines?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:36 am
Meatballs are great at room temperature
As is sliced chicken and turkey
Quinoa and avocado stuffed peppers
Tuna pizza (I hide the tuna mixed in with the sauce under daiya cheese)
Tuna balls (in place of falafel balls) with a mayo based dipping sauce
Breaded fish cubes on toothpicks
Salmon croquettes

momX4

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:36 am
Make a turkey boneless roast.(freezes nicely) When cool slice it thinly and use it instead of cold cuts in a sandwich.
Salmon or tuna patties with veggie sticks

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:38 am
Are lentils also hated?

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:39 am
What about tofu

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:46 am
That is a tough one. I'd say visit the health food store for some ideas. You may find some good products there.

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:46 am
Thanks all! Keep em coming!

I will definitely look for a boneless turkey roast next time I do a meat run, which will have to be soon I guess.

Tuna she ate fine but I don't want to be sending that too often due to mercury concerns. Maybe twice a week. Plain wraps seemed to go over fine so I won't bother with fancy tuna ideas.

Salmon (either as patties or any other form) she has an on-off relationship with. It would be great if she decides to like it the day I send it but it might be too risky to do on a school day when if she doesn't like what I send then she won't eat anything. Sardines and other fish definitely not.

She won't eat quinoa when it's recognizable but it has gone down as an ingredient, like as a pizza base or blended into cake batter.

Room temperature meatballs? Really? Is that even safe? Confused

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:49 am
flowerpower wrote:
That is a tough one. I'd say visit the health food store for some ideas. You may find some good products there.

Those tend to be really expensive, which is an issue.
So far I splurged on gf rice pasta which has zero nutrition but if I cut out pasta from our diet the kids will run away from home or something. And non-dairy "milk."
I'm looking for a bread recipe I can handle and will accept any tips. So far everything I found seems complicated AND involves many ingredients I would have to go looking for. I do have a bread machine and plenty of oats, if that helps. And a largish bag of gluten-free all-purpose baking mix but I can't find good healthy recipes to use it for, just fancy things.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:56 am
seeker wrote:

Room temperature meatballs? Really? Is that even safe? Confused

I meant not ice cold. Though I've enjoyed those too straight from the fridge Tongue Out

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:02 am
Re. lentils tell me how to prepare them and I'll let you know how it goes! I bought lentils but never decided what to do with them. I don't much care for lentil soup personally.

Ashrei

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:25 am
Would she like scrambled eggs? If goat cheese is okay, what about a wrap with goat cheese and eggs or avocado (ds loves these wraps) - I have a panini press and make them every day. Re tuna, there is wild planet tuna which has relatively very low mercury for tuna. It's more expensive than regular tuna, but it might be a good compromise for you versus say buying a grass fed free range beef ($4 a can vs $60 for some beef)

I slice a skinless salmon filet thin and broil it in the oven with some seasoning salt and the kids enjoy this in case you want to try it. I broil it until the sides are a touch brown. Then, it also goes good in a wrap esp with some dip/salad dressing/etc.

Also, have you considered protein drinks/bars? Spirula you can get large and buy a thermos for her?

How about egg salad or chicken salad?

That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned for now - hatzlacha! We're big on protein here too. We actually have a prize system for one of our kids regarding it. "Protein prize!" We try to have a choice of proteins for the kids to eat with hardboiled eggs usually available as a backup.

Ashrei

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:35 am
Forgot to mention as an aside that we really like Danielle Walker's paleo cookbook, Against All Grain, esp for gluten & dairy free baked goods. We just had to get used to using a food processor instead of a mixer, but the recipes were very doable. There is a recipe for bread in there that we never tried but it's supposed to be excellent. I would try the crepes too for bread alternative at lunch time. (however, the recipes use a lot of almond flour which is $$$) you can check out her blog, I think many of the recipes are on there. Smile

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:47 am
forget the $$$, we have a nut allergy and all these paleo and gf recipes and cookbooks are full of nuts Sad But if there's a good substituting guideline then maybe I can work it out.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:58 am
http://www.jweekly.com/cook/fu.....bill/

We like Greek salad with marinated tofu instead of feta cheese. Also like baked tofu with soy sauce and honey with baked sweet potatoes. Moroccan salmom with olives and chickpeas, peppers and onions is good room temperature with brown rice ( short grain brown rice is the best not heated).

Raisin

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 5:06 am
Cold meat roast is delicious. Slice very thin. You can serve it in a wrap.

You can also buy pickled brisket, cook and slice thin.

What about tuna patties, frittata, egg wraps.

little_mage

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 5:47 am
www.pennilessparenting.com has a lot of recipes, and she's gf too, at least recently. She does use nuts, but is pretty clear about indicating substitutes/nut free. I think she's got at least one bread recipe. Will she eat soup? I've heard of people taking soup in a thermos, and if you use a meat stock based soup, especially with other bits of meat, that should have plenty of protein. Also, what about yogurt?

srbmom

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:08 am
You can put meatballs that are in a sauce in a thermos and they'll stay warm.
I eat sunbutter and although it's not the same as pb, it's definetely a good alternative. $10 sounds like a lot. I would guess it should be more in the $6-7 range.
What about using cauliflower as a base for some things. I saw some yummy recipes for cauliflower rice and cauliflower cheese bites over pesach.
Also, making things in muffin tins makes cute transportable food. There are lots of recipes for eggs, brocolli, meatloaf...that way. Those are just a few off the top of my head

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:13 am
I'll be following here as well... 2 of my kids are on a similar diet. Gluten, dairy, corn, soy, sugar, food coloring free. And one is allergic to tuna. It's not easy but bh I see results. Yesterday I sent egg salad. Today I sent avocado, mayo, and pepper. They dont like sunbutter.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen