Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please help with protein ideas to send for school lunch
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:23 am
lentils: you can make dahl, lentil burgers, lentil falafel, lentil loaf.

one of my kids' favorite school lunches: crock pot soup packed in a thermos container. I make them burger soup pretty often: pre-cooked burgers (leftovers work wonderfully), a ton of shredded carrots, an onion, fresh garlic, salt, pepper, dill, water. cook overnight.

flower3

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:47 am
Zucchini, carrot, onion ,potato lakes all mix together

rofa

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:28 pm
Tolerant Foods makes an incredible pasta made from lentils!

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:56 pm
Some interesting ideas, thanks! My kids don't usually go for "interesting" but anything's worth a try as long as it's not expensive enough for one failed try to hurt much.

Anyone know of a kid-friendly (I.e. kid-portion-sized) thermos that will keep things like meatballs warm enough to be safe after 4 hours in a backpack? Also, I guess that means you need to heat it up right before they leave which could be a pain. But for starters I don't even know where to get a container - in Amazing Savings they were all either huge or said only for keeping things cold, no hot things.

Amother with no gluten, dairy, corn, soy, sugar, or tuna OMG I am so happy I'm not you right now!!! Wow! I generally try to avoid corn and soy but I'm not strict about it in the sense that we're trying to do a total cleanse from gluten and dairy. Not going to take on more for now either. We basically don't happen to have anything with soy going on anyway. Corn yes - I'm relying on corn tortillas to help with the gluten transition and corn chips may come into the snack substitute scene. I don't use white sugar but I do use more natural forms of sugar.

Muffin tin meatloaf sounds good! DD#1 has definitely eaten meatloaf before. DD#2 is not much of a meat eater but I'm waiting for summer to start her because her school serves decent meals already. Hopefully by then I'll have more of a menu and budget figured out.

Kugel, quiche, or frittata type of ideas have been fairly consistently disliked. Oh well. To me they seem tasty and a fun way to combine veggies and protein but it's not DD's taste.

I could see soups as a possibility for DD#1 but DD#2 has never liked any soup. Must be a texture thing. Sigh. To me that's like an entire food group down the drain!

Meat is pricey but I can see the quantity of roast slices needed for a 5-year-old's lunch could be reasonable.

Deep breath. After a couple of good shopping trips this should fall into place.
(of course davka this week, not only after pesach and new diet but somehow all my chicken cutlets in the freezer smell spoiled, my favorite store for meat and chicken sales has NOTHING I need on sale. TYVM. Sigh.)

Maybe

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:03 pm
Tuna or egg on rice cake. pea butter, tehina

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:08 pm
seeker wrote:
Some interesting ideas, thanks! My kids don't usually go for "interesting" but anything's worth a try as long as it's not expensive enough for one failed try to hurt much.

Anyone know of a kid-friendly (I.e. kid-portion-sized) thermos that will keep things like meatballs warm enough to be safe after 4 hours in a backpack
? Also, I guess that means you need to heat it up right before they leave which could be a pain. But for starters I don't even know where to get a container - in Amazing Savings they were all either huge or said only for keeping things cold, no hot things.

amazing savings has the thermos brand funtainers. they are exactly what you are looking for. they're in a strange aisle, though. best price I've seen, and they work. I bought six of them, three for meat and three for dairy.

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:02 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
amazing savings has the thermos brand funtainers. they are exactly what you are looking for. they're in a strange aisle, though. best price I've seen, and they work. I bought six of them, three for meat and three for dairy.
If we're talking about the same thing, did you read the label? Because I was pretty sure they said only for cold.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:12 pm
seeker wrote:
If we're talking about the same thing, did you read the label? Because I was pretty sure they said only for cold.

keeps things cold for 7 hours, hot for 5 Smile

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:14 pm
http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-.....ainer

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:15 pm
Link or pic please???

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:18 pm
seeker wrote:
Link or pic please???

already posted. there are a number of different characters in amazing savings, including the one I posted. there are also minnie mouse, hello kitty, star wars, batman and superman. batman/superman just have the logo. I don't know your feelings on licensed characters on kids' stuff, but I've never seen these sold cheaper.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:23 pm
Is there a reason you are specifically looking for proteins? It's really not necessary to have protein at every meal. Most proteins are much more appetizing served warm and fresh, so why not leave that for the at-home meals? For lunch you can send more carby things that will last better, like cereal, pancakes, gf bread, rice cakes etc.

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:30 pm
Oh for some reason I didn't notice the link. I googled it and came up with drink bottles cold only. Which section of Amazing Savings is it in? I was in the one closest to me and it wasn't with any of the food container things, and I took a little browse around the rest of the store and didn't notice it either. My girls would love Minnie and Hello Kitty, I don't look for licensed characters but if they're not trashy and in all other senses the product is what I'm looking for without a big character markup, why not. I have an appointment near Amazing Savings one day this week so will take another look.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:37 pm
seeker wrote:
Oh for some reason I didn't notice the link. I googled it and came up with drink bottles cold only. Which section of Amazing Savings is it in? I was in the one closest to me and it wasn't with any of the food container things, and I took a little browse around the rest of the store and didn't notice it either. My girls would love Minnie and Hello Kitty, I don't look for licensed characters but if they're not trashy and in all other senses the product is what I'm looking for without a big character markup, why not. I have an appointment near Amazing Savings one day this week so will take another look.

I know they're in the amazing savings on Ave M. I don't recall which aisle, but I bought a few more recently and had a hard time finding them. they were not with the other "insulated" containers. I recommend you ask an employee if you can't find them. I'd save a screenshot on your phone in case they don't know what you're looking for. I can't imagine they're out of stock, they've stocked these for the last year + .

they have the drink bottles too, but they're pretty heavy and the straws are difficult to clean.

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:
Is there a reason you are specifically looking for proteins? It's really not necessary to have protein at every meal. Most proteins are much more appetizing served warm and fresh, so why not leave that for the at-home meals? For lunch you can send more carby things that will last better, like cereal, pancakes, gf bread, rice cakes etc.

first of all, I do believe in at least some protein with every meal.
Secondly I don't believe in filling up on empty carbs just because, and the gf carbs tend to be very empty of nutrition.
Third, many of DDs previous protein sources involved gluten so with gluten out of the picture I need ideas to replace what she used to have and is now missing. (e.g. whole wheat pasta is something like 8g of protein per serving whereas gf brown rice pasta has 0. That's not "well most kids eat more protein than they need anyway," that's ZERO.)

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:49 pm
Thanks for the help, mummiedearest!

kakky

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:03 am
Just recieved an interesting recipe for Techina Bread. I did not try it yet (tomorrow I hope) but my friends kids loved it. and it is nutritious.

6 Tablespoons raw Techina
2 Tablespoons honey
4 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt

mix everything, will be very liquidy
pre-heat oven to 350 F
pour into english-cake pan (31cmX10cm)
bake for 18-20 minutes
check that it is dry before removing from the oven.

good luck

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 6:26 am
Hi. Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have one quick question. I am also recently off of all gluten, and was wondering what you buy for wraps. I am in Israel, and haven't found anything here....might be able to have someone send something that I could keep in my freezer.
Thank you!

rowo

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 6:43 am
Can you use buckwheat ?
There are some good recipes with buckwheat flour.
My kids will eat buckwheat pancakes. I guess it's just another way of presenting eggs, but if they eat it, why not Wink you could add chia seeds for more protein.
I play around and make muffins and cookies with oats and different flours, adding in various seeds. I don't have exact recipes though, sorry.

I've never been a fan of lentil soup, but my fussiest eater saw their friend brought some to school and asked me to make it for them. Very simple recipe, but tasty.

Sauté 2 onions and garlic
Add in a carrot, zuchinni, (celery- optional)
add in half a bag of rinsed red lentil
Add salt
Cover with water
bring to the boil
Simmer until the lentils are soft and falling apart.

You can blend it up for a smoother soup, but I like to grate the vegetables before and leave it like that.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 7:31 am
seeker wrote:
Thanks for the help, mummiedearest!

no prob. I hope you find them.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen