Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please help with protein ideas to send for school lunch
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

little_mage

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:26 am
http://www.realmomnutrition.com/use/ She also wrote a post about what she uses, but I couldn't find it quickly. Still, might be worth poking around the site for a bit.

momofone613

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:10 am
Do ur kids like mushrooms? I have a meatless meatball recipe that calls for mushrooms. Really tasty and then wont be a problem room temp.can serve with rice (if thats ok...?) Or mashed potatos or quinoa. Let me know if u
Homemade Veggie bergers with GF free bread.

If u get a thermos, potatos and franks are good.

Pareve chopped liver (has eggs in it= prorien)

I have chicken recipes if u want as well.

Meatloaf topped with potato kugel is good.

Salmon casserole with GF macaroni. (And pareve cream)

Chicken lomein. (GF noodles, or eice. (Is rice ok...?

Chicken or beef with veggies

Shakshuka with cauliflower cous cous

Veggie or meat egg rolls. (Can make pesach noodles with potato starch for wrappers. Did it on pesach was good Smile )

Breaded fish (can use corn flake crumbs)
If u need recipes for any of this, let me know. Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:16 am
Cloud bread! http://www.food.com/recipe/car.....11501 (exchange the artificial sweetener for a tsp of honey or agave)

If your kids like spreads or meat salad, I make a really good cold roast meat spread that works really well in sandwiches and wraps. Take leftover roast, and cube it into about in inch or so. Put it in a food processor, with some mayo and a bit of mustard, salt, and pepper. Pulse blend, checking the texture as you go, so it doesn't get too mushy. Just look to see if it seems like a tasty texture, and taste every now and then to make sure the flavors seem balanced. In a wrap with really crunchy lettuce and a couple of juicy tomatoes, the total effect is very satisfying.

As for bringing soups in a thermos, kids have been doing that for ages. I haven't heard of anyone getting food poisoning from it. If it's super hot when it goes in, it should be just fine. If there was a serious danger, you know it would be all over the mommy blogs.

Kudos to all of you wonderful mamas who are working so hard to keep your kids healthy. Add in picky eaters, and it's enough to make you want to scream. I am in awe of all of you.

dhm

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:29 am
I just got small thermoses from amazing savings yesterday. I sent with one daughter leftovers from last night supper. She was very excited about it.
Goldbaums gluten free pasta has some protein in it. Almost 5 grams per serving.
And yes for 2 kids to be on such restricted diets is a full time job for me!

Edited to add I don't know why it went through as anonymous last time.

seeker

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:30 pm
dhm wrote:
I just got small thermoses from amazing savings yesterday. I sent with one daughter leftovers from last night supper. She was very excited about it.
Goldbaums gluten free pasta has some protein in it. Almost 5 grams per serving.
And yes for 2 kids to be on such restricted diets is a full time job for me!

Edited to add I don't know why it went through as anonymous last time.

Where do I find Goldbaum's protein pasta - is that a Jewish product or in mainstream stores?

asweet

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:33 pm
I didn't read the full post but if you was delicious gf bread - buy UDi's that's the BEST gf bread ! no need to toast it =. my very picky eater likes it!

if you need gf ideas pm me as my dd is gf now for almost 3 years and I have tons of ideas - but she doesn't have any other allergy

dhm

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 2:20 pm
Yes it's a Jewish brand. I find it in almost any grocery. In Brooklyn & monsey.

seeker

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:55 am
GUESS WHAT. Teacher called me today to let me know that I can't send fleishig lunches to school because they don't serve fleishigs. (first of all, that's news to me. Last year they for sure had fleishig at least once a week. This year I don't remember seeing a menu sent home, though I do remember wondering why I wasn't getting menus, and being curious what was offered all those days that my child said she only ate bread.) No, it's not enough that she will be eating from her own containers. No, a placemat won't cut it. It's a school lunchtime so her lunch needs to be able to seamlessly integrate into the tableau.

All my great ideas just went flying out the window. And just when I had finally gotten my act together to actually MAKE her the chicken cutlets she likes, sent a portion to school (that prompted the call) and put the rest in the freezer for some other time WHICH ISN'T COMING ANYMORE.

*bangs head against wall*

Now what - no gluten, no dairy, no nuts, no peanuts AND NO MEAT OR CHICKEN.
She tolerates tuna but gets tired of it fast - sent it twice this week, the first time she was excited by the novelty of having her own lunch and ate the whole thing. The second time I sent the same portion and she ate only half of it, and because she'd eaten it all the last time I didn't even bother to put a backup hard boiled egg in either, so it's not like she was already filled up on that.
Same for HB egg. Can do it once a week maybe. Other egg forms she doesn't eat.
She doesn't eat beans or non-tuna fishes or quinoa.
So: Monday tuna. Tuesday egg. Thursday tuna. friday she's home by lunchtime. So I really need one more great idea for every week, and another good idea for variation because sending two tunas and one egg a week is going to get very old very fast.

momofone613

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 3:25 am
Sooo annoying! I feel for u! I dont see y she couldn't bring meat especially since she has so many allergies as it is!

Can she have rice? U can do veggie fried eice with scrambled egg in it for protien, I make that all the time. She may not even be able to detect egg in it if flavoured well and has lots of veggies.

Fish sticks?

Veggie egg rolls with pesach noodle but in crape form for wrappers.

Soy meats

Can look up good tofu recipes as well. (Dont know any off hand except cutting it into squers and frying it with soy sauce and dried onions, not surehow healthy or kid friendly it is tho)

Veggie bergers. Can make at home using veggies shed like, u can look uo recipe.

Does she like salmon? Salmon is good and lots of recipes will change it up so not so boring...

If she eats mushrooms I have a meatless meatball recipe, (mushrooms instead of meat..) but if not, u can probably find online one without mushrooms.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 4:14 am
Can you call the principal to discuss this with him or her?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 7:39 am
I have organic rice protein powder by growing natural. Would you want to bulk up muffins, pancakes, waffles and such?

mummiedearest

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:39 am
seeker wrote:
GUESS WHAT. Teacher called me today to let me know that I can't send fleishig lunches to school because they don't serve fleishigs. (first of all, that's news to me. Last year they for sure had fleishig at least once a week. This year I don't remember seeing a menu sent home, though I do remember wondering why I wasn't getting menus, and being curious what was offered all those days that my child said she only ate bread.) No, it's not enough that she will be eating from her own containers. No, a placemat won't cut it. It's a school lunchtime so her lunch needs to be able to seamlessly integrate into the tableau.

All my great ideas just went flying out the window. And just when I had finally gotten my act together to actually MAKE her the chicken cutlets she likes, sent a portion to school (that prompted the call) and put the rest in the freezer for some other time WHICH ISN'T COMING ANYMORE.

*bangs head against wall*

Now what - no gluten, no dairy, no nuts, no peanuts AND NO MEAT OR CHICKEN.
She tolerates tuna but gets tired of it fast - sent it twice this week, the first time she was excited by the novelty of having her own lunch and ate the whole thing. The second time I sent the same portion and she ate only half of it, and because she'd eaten it all the last time I didn't even bother to put a backup hard boiled egg in either, so it's not like she was already filled up on that.
Same for HB egg. Can do it once a week maybe. Other egg forms she doesn't eat.
She doesn't eat beans or non-tuna fishes or quinoa.
So: Monday tuna. Tuesday egg. Thursday tuna. friday she's home by lunchtime. So I really need one more great idea for every week, and another good idea for variation because sending two tunas and one egg a week is going to get very old very fast.

this is ridiculous. stand your ground. call the teacher back and tell her that this is unacceptable, your child is ALLERGIC TO DAIRY, and not being able to send some form of fleishigs in does not allow your child to have the nutritional value she needs throughout the day. call the principal, get your doctor involved. your child should not have to be limited like that. don't give in. if necessary, she can eat at a tray table you send in for her. go on, be the crazy mom. we're behind you.

momofone613

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:44 am
mummiedearest wrote:
this is ridiculous. stand your ground. call the teacher back and tell her that this is unacceptable, your child is ALLERGIC TO DAIRY, and not being able to send some form of fleishigs in does not allow your child to have the nutritional value she needs throughout the day. call the principal, get your doctor involved. your child should not have to be limited like that. don't give in. if necessary, she can eat at a tray table you send in for her. go on, be the crazy mom. we're behind you.

Yes times a million! You should definitely call and explain. Its ridiculous that ur kid should lose out on a nutritious lunch!

dhm

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:07 am
When I started my kids on their diet, I called the principal and explained the situation. She heard me out and told me she will talk it over with the other principal and get back to me. She bh worked with me and made alot of allowences for us.
I suggest you call the principal and tell her the situation and make it clear that it's not a choice...

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:07 am
The teacher is also making it harder on herself, a wel fed child behaves better and learns better. A hungry child can be disruptive and temperamental.

seeker

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:55 pm
I'm definitely not taking it up with the teacher because it's her responsibility to stick to school policy, she doesn't make it up. Why should I antagonize my kid's teacher? I did talk to someone else at the school, not a principal but you could call her an "insider," for advice and she said I should consider myself lucky that they are even letting me send my own lunches when it's just a trial elimination diet and not a confirmed allergy. They are usually much more strict about letting in outside food at all.

Lymnok, no child of mine is going to go hungry... I just might run myself into the ground seeing to that!

Today I sent sun butter sandwich on TJ gf bread, which she ate most of; a hard boiled egg for backup in case she was still hungry, which she did not eat; mini peppers which she did not eat; string beans of which she said she ate some but I couldn't tell if any were missing. fruit dessert she ate, of course.

Yesterday I sent gf pasta with flaxseed in the sauce, which she ate; carrot and zucchini sticks - she ate the carrot and left the zucchini; an emergency backup egg which she did not eat; and again a fruit dessert which she ate.

Sunday she had the tuna wraps, and a peanut butter sandwich for supper. So I feel like I've already run through all the easy options and now I'm grasping at straws for two more days. One of which I will do tuna wraps again and hope she eats them. And the other... the other... dang, I have no idea. If I send a HB egg and no alternative main dish would it finally get eaten, or do I give up on the egg because they keep coming home untouched?

Still hunting around the web for some kind of food-disguised-as-muffin that is not too hard to make, looks like my kid will like it, and doesn't contain gluten and/or nuts. So far no luck.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:22 am
I would make an egg salad wrap.

I would also try a legume based mock tuna on a bagel for variety.
http://www.pennilessparenting......l?m=1

Also, there are some great gluten free flour mixes available. Would you make muffins with those, fortified with protein powder?

seeker

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:35 am
She does egg but not egg salad. Never heard of legume mock tuna, thanks for the tip (I was working slooowly through the pennilessparenting recipe section...)

Gf flour is expensive but I'm open to using some when needed. I don't like too much white starch, though. I also like using whole foods as much as possible, rather than protein powder (I sprinkle flax or chia seeds on things for a bit of extra protein boost, which is not nearly as much protein as powder but a lot more like food). I used a flour mix to make cookies for treats, which went well, and pancakes as a special supper, which also went well but was probably not the healthiest move. I also tried making bread with it and let's just say I went right back to Trader Joe's bread. It was inedible. Anyway my free trial bag of flour mix is almost gone and replacing it would be something like $20+ so I'll have to do some homework to figure out what's next.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 7:59 am
if you have the patience, you can make lentil falafel. I'll post the recipe if you want it. it's not actually hard to do and doesn't take that long in comparison to other things.

also, my kids are more likely to eat hard boiled eggs if I shape them. I use these: http://www.amazon.com/APT®-plate-Heart-Rabbit-Shape/dp/B00ENZLB92/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463572651&sr=8-3&keywords=egg+molds

it takes a few more minutes but can be done in advance. consider giving her a small container of salt to dip it into.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:45 am
Here's a great flaxseed bread recipe that "Pineapple" posted:
https://www.verywell.com/focac.....41708

Here's a peanut butter muffin recipe that you can probably make with sunbutter. It's also just an all around great site:
http://detoxinista.com/2012/08.....fins/
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen