Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you have a child with ASD?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:19 pm
Seeker, I really enjoyed your article in Binah! I don't have an official diagnosis for any of my children, but 2 of them have tendencies and I think it's sort of genetic.

Check out the website Asperger Experts, it's really helpful. It's run by a guy with Aspergers and has some good free webinars, etc.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 5:49 pm
I am located in Brooklyn, and am looking for some resources for my child that has possible high functioning ASD, and was wondering if any moms on this thread can help.

1. He was evaluated by Dr. Chaim Neuhoff, does anyone know if he can officially diagnose ASD, or where in Boro Park I can get an official diagnosis so that he can qualify for services.

2. I think my son would benefit from Behavioral therapy and social groups.
Does anyone know where I can get those services in BP, preferably covered by insurance.

Please let me know,

Thank you,

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 6:07 pm
I once heard of dr fox he is able to diagnosis and give u a referral to get services thru the government.

He works for Toshia. You need his number?

seeker

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 6:08 pm
I don't have personal experience with them but a colleague recommended Proud Moments for social groups covered by insurance I believe in BP. They also provide ABA but I didn't ask about that.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:
I once heard of dr fox he is able to diagnosis and give u a referral to get services thru the government.

He works for Toshia. You need his number?

Yes please

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 6:33 pm
seeker wrote:
I don't have personal experience with them but a colleague recommended Proud Moments for social groups covered by insurance I believe in BP. They also provide ABA but I didn't ask about that.

I contacted them, but at this time my child has insurance through family health plus, and they don't accept it.

If necessary I can try to change insurance, but am wondering if there are options through FHP, or through the education system.

potatoes

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 6:55 pm
DD 3.5 has high functioning ASD. Diagnosed at 18 months.
Probably doing so well because we started therapy so young.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 9:53 pm
What type of doctor is the one who did your evaluation?

We used developmental pediatrician Dr. Hubermann at SUNY Downstate. He was nice, is considered a good doctor for this, and accepts insurance. You may have to wait a few months for an appointment but you can ask to be put on a waiting list for cancellations.

Child health plus is going to do nothing for you in terms of ABA unless the child is low functioning enough to be on SSI. It's crazy. Depending on the child's age and what their problems are, you are better off going to the department of ed.

If your child is less than 5 years old get to the department of ed IMMEDIATELY because it's almost the end of the school year. Preschool years are much more willing to give services for social and behavioral issues and then you can get them continued into school age, but if you start after preschool it is much harder to get approved.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics