Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Easy Dessert Ideas w/o unhealthy marg., whip etc

Grateful2bhere

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:13 am
Any ideas for quick, easy dessert ideas, but not just ices, jello or fresh fruit? I saw loads of great recipes on site, but many use whip, store bought cookies, ready made pie crusts etc that'l have hydrogenated fats/trans fats etc. Any ideas?

MamaBear

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:33 am
Pavlova is quick to prepare. Then it just sits in the oven.

Tofu or avocado based chocolate mousse.

Berry crisps or cobblers are beautiful and can be healthy.

None of these are three min desserts but they're not too many steps either.

sky

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:47 am
Baked Apples.
lots of options:

peeled or with skin
bake with just cinnamon or add maple syrup or brown sugar

Bake until apples are soft and starting to fall apart. Different types of apples will give different results.

Sprinkle with walnuts before serving and/or a scoop or ice cream. Drizzle with pan sauces.

I once go a recipe on imamother to stuff the baked apples with a cobbler filling - it was really good served warm.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:07 am
Apple crisp, there are many cookie recipes out there with oil, peanut butter flourless cookies, sorbet

jump

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:08 am
MamaBear wrote:

how do you make avocado based choc mousse? thanks

Miri1

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:23 am
MamaBear wrote:

How long would you store the Pavlova if made in advance? I would make it before the general Shabbos cooking begins.
I've made it many years ago, but I used whip, and then a layer of fruit. What would you use to on it to avoid whip (or the whip was unnecessary altogether?)

I've made a some really delicious crisp, using almond or cashew meal combined with oats sugar cinnamon and oil - it's more of a wholesome looking dessert than gourmet (as pavlova would be described).

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:10 pm
Miri1 wrote:
How long would you store the Pavlova if made in advance? I would make it before the general Shabbos cooking begins.
I've made it many years ago, but I used whip, and then a layer of fruit. What would you use to on it to avoid whip (or the whip was unnecessary altogether?)

I've made a some really delicious crisp, using almond or cashew meal combined with oats sugar cinnamon and oil - it's more of a wholesome looking dessert than gourmet (as pavlova would be described).

If you make crisp in mini ramekins ( one per person) it is elegant. Pavlova can be made on Wednesday. I make mini ones because they are easier to store and I find the big ones a pain to cut and serve. I agree they need a creamy topping- you can use lemon or raspberry curd or coconut whipped cream ( made with a can of coconut milk)

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:35 pm
Grateful2bhere wrote:
Any ideas for quick, easy dessert ideas, but not just ices, jello or fresh fruit? I saw loads of great recipes on site, but many use whip, store bought cookies, ready made pie crusts etc that'l have hydrogenated fats/trans fats etc. Any ideas?

Love this instead of margarine- and the coconut flavor is undetectable! Excellent for pie crusts!

http://www.iherb.com/Nutiva-Or.....P8HAQ

rofa

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:38 pm
http://minimalistbaker.com/no-.....ream/

Tried and tested! Make sure to really pulse the dates or it'll be a bit piecey (if that kind of thing bothers you)

Miri1

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:21 pm
tichellady wrote:
If you make crisp in mini ramekins ( one per person) it is elegant. Pavlova can be made on Wednesday. I make mini ones because they are easier to store and I find the big ones a pain to cut and serve. I agree they need a creamy topping- you can use lemon or raspberry curd or coconut whipped cream ( made with a can of coconut milk)

Sounds intriguing. How would you make these? Do they involve raw egg?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:22 pm
Just got a Yonanas, not sure if a dessert produce with this is something that can be stored, or if it's only good when served on the spot.
Haven't tried it yet!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:27 pm
I know you said "no fresh fruit", but I make a fruit salad that everybody loves. I don't put in so much of the usual fruit, but look for things like star fruit, asian pears, papaya, or whatever looks interesting and in season. You must use at least one orange or a couple of tangerines, because the citric acid keeps the other stuff from turning brown.

I add a few tablespoons of raw honey, a dash of cinnamon, and a tiny pinch of cloves. It makes a huge difference, and tastes very decadent.

(If you're like a friend of mine who is seriously allergic to all kinds of uncooked fruit, then try making it into a compote so that the allergens will change their structure.)

Serve with sponge cake on the side.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:39 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Sounds intriguing. How would you make these? Do they involve raw egg?

The egg starts out raw but is cooked. Look online for recipes, I can't remember which one I use. If making raspberry you will need a strainer to strain the seeds.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:44 pm
tichellady wrote:
The egg starts out raw but is cooked. Look online for recipes, I can't remember which one I use. If making raspberry you will need a strainer to strain the seeds.

The Wall Street journal and couldn't be pareve both have recipes for curd, you can use coconut or canola oil ( probably would work without oil too)

Grateful2bhere

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:03 pm
Thanks everyone for the nice suggestions!

UnFarvosNischt

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 3:53 pm
Carrot cake or banana bread! Yummy and healthy!

Grateful2bhere

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 6:46 pm
Miri1 wrote:

Would you please give more description to how you make this?
Does it top a cooked fruit? I don't have much experience baking crisps or crumbles. I did make a nice fruit bake with cranberries, apples, splash lemon juice & I can't remember but maybe a sweetener. Then topped with a crumble but years ago. Thnx!

thanks

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 7:58 am
I make pudding with soy milk. It has sugar, but it's healthier than the stuff with whip and margarine. I serve it in a nice cup so it looks like a mousse. You can garnish with coconut or a chocolate chip in the middle. You can also layer vanilla and chocolate. Looks nice, and is really simple.

Miri1

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 11:17 am
Grateful2bhere wrote:
Would you please give more description to how you make this?
Does it top a cooked fruit? I don't have much experience baking crisps or crumbles. I did make a nice fruit bake with cranberries, apples, splash lemon juice & I can't remember but maybe a sweetener. Then topped with a crumble but years ago. Thnx!

I don't follow any recipe anymore, but I've seen plenty of versions of what I make.

Basically, I use chopped apples, with a mixture of defrosted blueberries, or strawberries (I really liked the apple blueberry mix this time).
I've seen some people squeeze in some lemon juice, but I don't usually bother. Depending on the sweetness you want and the tartness of the apples, I add in some white sugar to the fruit mixture.

Then mix about half nut meal and half potato starch (less funky tasting) or half uncooked oats (not instant!), with about 1 tsp cinnamon, and a few teaspoons of brown sugar (again depends how sweet you want it, sometimes if this is for the main course I lower the sweetness).
To give it a crunchier taste you could use margarine, but I always use a few tablespoons of canola oil to make a crumble. Over Pesach I put in an egg, I think that made the crumble a little firmer, I intend to try this out with oats.

Sprinkle the crumble and bake at 350 - 375 for about 45 min. You want to see some bubbling in the juices of the fruit.
When the fruit are tender, and the top looks brown and crunchy it is done. I tend to overcook, but this Y"T I didn't and the fruit were firmer, and in my opinion tastier.

Sorry this is not a true recipe, and more of "bit of this bit of that" narrative - less scientific, and more intuitive Smile

I guess if you used small dishes or ramekins, you could experiment with different quantities and cook times to get to your preferred taste.

water_bear88

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I know you said "no fresh fruit", but I make a fruit salad that everybody loves. I don't put in so much of the usual fruit, but look for things like star fruit, asian pears, papaya, or whatever looks interesting and in season. You must use at least one orange or a couple of tangerines, because the citric acid keeps the other stuff from turning brown.

I add a few tablespoons of raw honey, a dash of cinnamon, and a tiny pinch of cloves. It makes a huge difference, and tastes very decadent.

(If you're like a friend of mine who is seriously allergic to all kinds of uncooked fruit, then try making it into a compote so that the allergens will change their structure.)

Serve with sponge cake on the side.

Sounds delicious! Just make sure to warn guests that there's honey in it if they have a baby on solids to whom they might give a taste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking