Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Anyone's child diagnosed with global delay?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:15 am
What to expect? What's the future?

working hard

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:21 am
Global delay is a moniker given when a child has delays in many areas without a specific diagnosis. It ranges from very minor to very severe. The title on its own is so widely used and overused that it means nothing.
I have 3 kids diagnosed with global delay. 2 of them are getting therapy and are outgrowing minor issues. One has more involved issues.
To answer your question, it depends on what the issues are and how severe they are.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:25 am
He was delayed in all physical areas as well as mentally he is 3 and doesn't talk yet... Do you actually ever get out of it?

working hard

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:45 am
DD will be turning 3 in a month. She did not talk until about a month ago when we switched her speech therapist and schedule. She went from almost no sounds to sentences in about 2 weeks. She is getting PT as well and making slow but steady progress.

What is your definition of getting out of it? My DD will always have "issues" but will IY"H go to regular schools and succeed among her peers. In my opionion that is considered getting out of it.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:07 pm
Thank you so much! Making me feel so much better...

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:11 pm
Mine ended up getting a formal diagnosis of mild ASD at age five. He is able to learn in a regular yeshiva with some extra support and is expected to grow up to be an independent, though probably quirky, adult.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
Mine ended up getting a formal diagnosis of mild ASD at age five. He is able to learn in a regular yeshiva with some extra support and is expected to grow up to be an independent, though probably quirky, adult.

Wow you people giving me so much hope!!
Thank you!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:12 pm
My DD is now 19. Her physical development was always on track but speech/cognitive etc has been delayed. She continues to make progress. Our psychologist estimates that she is now on the level of a 16 year old and expects her to catch up by 25-30.

Get your child whatever help possible as quickly as possible. Love him/her for who they are.

One of the main difficulties is that for example people expect a 7 year old to act XYZ when your 7 year old may be acting on the level of a 3 year old. This causes a lot of social difficulties.

Odd are excellent that your child will function independently.

Kol Tuv.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:14 pm
Yes. I have a 6 year old in a special ed school who has global delays. Initially, the doctors thought she would just have learning disabilities but its turned out very severe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers