Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Planning shavuos in CA, Help me please!

Pamela

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:48 am
Hi, my family would like to go to California for shavout. It would be our first time there. We are four adults and four children under the age of six. What can you tell me about re where is the best place to stay with access to entertainment, kosher eateries and Shuls (besides LA). Thanks in advance Very Happy

observer

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:53 am
Lol my immediate reaction was....a shaveout? Does that mean everyone is shaving their heads?

Pamela

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:58 am
Oops must have been a typo. Shavous

Miri7

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:45 am
I think that LA is the only place with a lot of kosher restaurants.

The Bay Area has a few options for food and a kosher market where you can order prepared food. I think at some SF hotels you can order kosher meals to be delivered. It is a fun area with lots to do and see: California Academy of Sciences is a great place for families, Golden Gate Bridge, redwood forests, Chinatown, the museum of modern art is reopening after a big remodel. There are nice orthodox communities in SF, Palo Alto, Oakland and Berkeley where you could spend chag. In my experience all of these OOT communities are quite welcoming and if you call the rabbi ahead I'm sure you could be set up with invitations for meals.

Pamela

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:50 am
Thank you Miri7. You have been quite helpful. What about San Diego? I know there is a beautiful aquarium and Legoland. Is it someplace that I can consider? Are there kosher venues there too?

Miri7

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:53 am
I really don't know San Diego at all. Legoland is great for kids but I don't know much else.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:14 am
Pamela wrote:
Thank you Miri7. You have been quite helpful. What about San Diego? I know there is a beautiful aquarium and Legoland. Is it someplace that I can consider? Are there kosher venues there too?

San Diego does not have a great kosher restaurant scene ( there may be one place that's open) but there is a grocery store with lots of kosher take out. Is it important to you to be near a shul or have an Eruv over Shabbos/ Shavuot? Do you mind driving? San Diego is not so far from la. There are also really cool places that are only a few hours from la like Joshua tree, sequoia, Santa Barbara, ojai, so if you are up to driving after or before chag that's an options

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:18 am
Legoland is not in San Diego but it's not far from there. The San Diego zoo and safari park are both great. Balboa park is nice. Personally I would probably choose la over San Diego, but they are both nice options.

doctorima

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:18 am
San Diego is very family friendly and would be great for kids (Legoland, Sea World, Zoo, La Jolla) and has 2 main shuls, but the kosher eating-out options there are limited.

Pamela

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:14 pm
Thank you tichellady and doctorima!! You are all such a help!! So I think that for the actual holiday I should stay in LA since it has all the kosher venues and I can travel by car to sea world, Lego land etc. but I would like to stay before the holiday someplace by the ocean and from what I understand LA is more of a city... Where is nice but not to expensive? And of course access to kosher food and not to far from LA .... Sorry for the long shopping list but u ladies are my only help

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:41 pm
You can stay in Santa Monica or Malibu or Oxnard. Since you are so many people you may be best off renting a house through Airbnb or vrbo and having a fridge and kitchen. You will not want to drive to la for every meal because you will spend all day in traffic but there are coffee beans all over where you can get kosher drinks and bagels/ sandwiches ( dairy) and there is a fish grill in Malibu, a pizza place in agoura ( pizza nosh) and a fancy meat restaurant in Oxnard ( Tierra sur)

Miri7

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:50 pm
Tichellady's idea of renting a house is good. You could fly into LA, stock up on kosher takeout and then go to a house by the beach. Sounds fun!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics