Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Teach me how to make roast

Faigy86

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:05 pm
After every yom tov, I promise myself that I'm going to get a tutorial in making roast. I'm never happy with how it comes out.

We usually buy real meat only for Y'T
I try to buy the cheaper cuts
I usually buy around 4 lb
I don't have a grill and keep my oven parve so can only cook meat dishes fully covered.

I'm looking for start to finish techniques and recipes so my shavuos roast will come out good.

TIA!

mha3484

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:11 pm
I cook mine in the crockpot on low for 8 hrs and then cool and slice. Always comes out great.

Faigy86

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:17 pm
What cut do you use? What spices/sauce do you add?

mha3484

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:19 pm
I have made briskets, chuck roast, beauty roast and lamb shoulder. I have tried all kinds of marinades and spice mixes. What do you like? I have done asian, coffee chili, herbs and soy sauce. I like variety and we are not picky.

tiredmommy

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:37 pm
I'm not a fan of brisket but I tried a new recipe on pesach and got rave reviews. I don't remember exact amounts and the cookbook is locked away already. But iirc it's 1 32 Oz jar of saerkraut plus one can whole peeled tomatoes plus half a box brown sugar. Put the brisket in the pan then add the sauerkraut and tomatoes. The crumble brown sugar over all it. Cook covered about 2.5 to 3 hours. Cool and slice and reheat in sauce. Yum!

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:40 pm
I think you need to Define your terms. To me, a roast is pink and moist with no sauce, to many people a roast is very well done with lots of sauce and can shred with a fork. For the former, the cut of meat really matters for the latter you need lots of time to let it braise and some good tenderizing ingredients like tomatoes or beer or coffee

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:48 pm
I've always had success with French Roast and Chuck Roast....I do it simply but it always gets rave reviews and is tender and delicious.

Sautee about 6 diced onions and a head of garlic sliced up in a pot
Season the cut of meat by rubbing your hands over it with salt, pepper and paprika
You can make little slits in the meat throughout the top of the roast and slip in whole cloves of garlic
Then when the onions are just about clear add the meat to the pot and brown the meat on all sides...this can take a few minutes for each side
Once browned add about half a cup of water or just enough water to cover a third of the roast , cover and let simmer on a low flame for about 3 1/2 hours
After you let it cool transfer the roast to a disposable aluminum pan, cover with foil and refrigerate until the next day
Pour all the gravy into disposable containers along with the onions etc. and store in freezer
The next day , using a good knife and cutting board slice the meat very very thinly. Package slices in a food storage bag and freeze
Before use, about a day before remove from freezer, defrost in refrigerator both the roast and gravy
To heat the meat, pour gravy and the fat the congealed on the top into a pot spread the slices out in the pot so the gravy covers the meat. Cover pot and heat until hot...the meat should be very tasty and tender.

Water Stones

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:55 pm
tiredmommy wrote:
I'm not a fan of brisket but I tried a new recipe on pesach and got rave reviews. I don't remember exact amounts and the cookbook is locked away already. But iirc it's 1 32 Oz jar of saerkraut plus one can whole peeled tomatoes plus half a box brown sugar. Put the brisket in the pan then add the sauerkraut and tomatoes. The crumble brown sugar over all it. Cook covered about 2.5 to 3 hours. Cool and slice and reheat in sauce. Yum!

Oh this sounds very delicious! I think I will go now quickly to buy the brisket!! I have sauerkraut in the cans, is that ok as jar kind? DH not being home until 8 o clock and I can able to cook now!

tichellady

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 3:08 pm
Seashells wrote:
Oh this sounds very delicious! I think I will go now quickly to buy the brisket!! I have sauerkraut in the cans, is that ok as jar kind? DH not being home until 8 o clock and I can able to cook now!

Yes I always use the can

Faigy86

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 3:17 pm
Tichellady, I guess I'm calling a roast a cut of meat that gets sliced to serve, as opposed to something like a steak, or stir fried beef.

We tend to not go so exotic, not a big fan of prepared sauces, or too sweet sauces in general, but well-done and well-flavored.

I see some good suggestions here. Would love to hear more.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:23 pm
Low and slow, completely covered.

Slice onions and pkace at bottom of pan. Add mushrooms. Baby carrots if it interests your family. Slit the meat. Shake some pepper, garlic powder, onion powder on it (real garlic cloves too if you want). Pour a cup of broth/soup on top, and cover tightly. I like 5 hours at 300 for really tender meat.

Maybe

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:40 pm
Simplest way, 1st sauté 2 lb freshly minced onion, 2 tbs oil & pinch of salt per 1lb of beef. When ready add beef, low flame, cover until you can stick in a fork or blunt knife. Cut when cold

You end up with plenty spare onion & gravy to freeze,make a beef soup with grass fed brisket, minute stake or french roast, cook like chicken soup just longer, tastes better. sliced some of the beef & cover with spare onion & gravy

Maybe

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:52 pm
( 1/2 the spice may be enough for many)

1 tablespoon ground bay leaves

1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves

2 teaspoons sweet paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1 chuck eye roast

Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

Salt

4 cloves garlic, minced

3 tablespoons shortening or oil

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 375°. In a bowl, mix the bay leaves, pepper, thyme, paprika and cumin. Drizzle the roast generously with olive oil and season with salt. Rub the garlic and spice mixture over the roast and let stand for 10 minutes.

Using butcher's twine, tie the roast to give it a uniform shape. In an ovenproof skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the roast and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned all over, 12 minutes.

Transfer the skillet to the upper third of the oven and roast the meat for 1 hour, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 130°. Transfer the roast to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Discard the twine. Using a thin, sharp knife, thinly slice the beef across the grain and serve.

Jeremy Stanton,

http://www.myrecipes.com/recip.....roast

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:06 pm
Op, you gotta ask ra-mom!!!

I promise you , your meat will be yummy!!!!!

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:09 pm
French roast is supposed to be the best cut, I think so.

Spare ribs is also yummy!

Which kind of recipes would you like? A suated type, or sweet and sour saucy?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics