Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do you justify Pesach programs AND tuition assistance???
  Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 2:31 pm
MrsDash wrote:
I find this hard to believe. Unless you are her therapist, you have no way of knowing her true mental health conditions. Why is it that you feel you're the one to decided who is more deserving of therapy?

My point is really that there is no valid way of judging these things. I said that in my op. I used this as an example specifically because it is so debateable.

In this case, I disagreed with my friend's assessment of the situation. It's ok that you don't. Again, there's really no need to argue with the facts I'm presenting though. Take it at face value that this was indeed the situation and I was indeed close enough to know the intimate details.

I will admit though that my comment that I needed it more than she is probably sour grapes.

princessleah

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 3:16 pm
Here's my strategy.
Apply for financial aid from the school. Give school the information they want. Don't lie on the application. Pay the amount they offer after application.
Use other money as desired. If finances change, let school know.

Schools have a system for determining who gets what. Some ask you to list where you spend every holiday and vacation. Some don't. They know what they're doing, I think. They key is to not lie on your application. Sof.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 3:21 pm
I don't put therapy in the category of "indulgence". If I had an extra $1000 to play around with I can think of many things I'd rather spend the money on. I wouldn't use it for therapy unless I really, really needed it.

I also don't air my very close friends personal situations in online forums, even anonymously, but I guess we all have different definitions of friendship.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 3:29 pm
Jeanette wrote:
I don't put therapy in the category of "indulgence". If I had an extra $1000 to play around with I can think of many things I'd rather spend the money on. I wouldn't use it for therapy unless I really, really needed it.

I also don't air my very close friends personal situations in online forums, even anonymously, but I guess we all have different definitions of friendship.

Great, then we totally agree. I also wouldn't accept $1,000 monthly to pay for private therapy while taking tzedaka money to pay tuition, unless there was a situation of utter desperation. Which in this case, there wasn't, not even close, although you weren't sure if you believed me about that or not....

That was really my point all along.....

In terms of "airing" personal situations online anonymously.... You've stumped me once again..... Whaaaaaaat?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 5:20 pm
tzemerupishtim wrote:

A grandparent has the right to take their children on vacations . They have no obligation to fund the crazy fees that are being charged for tuition these days. Would the schools go without janitors etc? The schools really need to super scrutinize their money management before they dare go into other people's pockets.

THIS is what bothers you about how schools spend their money? That they get janitors? Are you serious? How, exactly, do you propose schools do without custodians and janitors? I am all ears.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 8:25 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
THIS is what bothers you about how schools spend their money? That they get janitors? Are you serious? How, exactly, do you propose schools do without custodians and janitors? I am all ears.

Yeah, I often think "Can't they go without so many color copies and plastic-bound books? Do they really need to laminate everything?" but this is a new one...

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:09 pm
seeker wrote:
Yeah, I often think "Can't they go without so many color copies and plastic-bound books? Do they really need to laminate everything?" but this is a new one...

Having been through schools that didn't send home huge several page newsletters every week (especially with pictures! On oversized papers!), color copies, where lamination was rare... Where we didn't have posters covering every wall, awards and prizes and parties for every thing...
I don't get it. We didn't need it and I didn't realize I was missing it. Schools have to cut costs. I'd say start with these things...

Janitors are necessary unless every parent goes on the rotation. Great way to keep costs down- one parent from each class gets a night to do their classroom on the rotation, then a second rotation for lunch room/communal areas. Principals must do their offices...
Who's in?

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:55 pm
Yeah come to think of it it's amazing how many papers I throw out every week. Not to mention how many I'm not sure I can throw out because of shaimos. And the ones I can't throw out because they're Special to my kids, and yes they really are special but did they really have to exist? A Special booklet for everything? Color printed and bound? I am going to need a bigger house soon. At least a bigger bookshelf. They're sending home thick coloring books for every yomtov. My kids color a lot but they move onto the next thing very quickly, and you can't color on the yomtov itself, so these don't get a lot of use. But you can't throw them out because Special. And Wasting. Try teaching kids about wasting when you throw away the things from school by the shovelful.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 12:02 am
LittleDucky wrote:

Janitors are necessary unless every parent goes on the rotation. Great way to keep costs down- one parent from each class gets a night to do their classroom on the rotation, then a second rotation for lunch room/communal areas. Principals must do their offices...
Who's in?

Well remember what happened on that thread where amother offered to barter work for a tuition discount and they said she could help with cleaning? didn't go over so well. Personally I'd rather pay someone to do the cleaning.

And, re my previous post, it's bringing to mind that gif of papers going straight from the copier into the shredder...heh

chaiz

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 6:42 am
seeker wrote:
Yeah come to think of it it's amazing how many papers I throw out every week. Not to mention how many I'm not sure I can throw out because of shaimos. And the ones I can't throw out because they're Special to my kids, and yes they really are special but did they really have to exist? A Special booklet for everything? Color printed and bound? I am going to need a bigger house soon. At least a bigger bookshelf. They're sending home thick coloring books for every yomtov. My kids color a lot but they move onto the next thing very quickly, and you can't color on the yomtov itself, so these don't get a lot of use. But you can't throw them out because Special. And Wasting. Try teaching kids about wasting when you throw away the things from school by the shovelful.

A million percent! As a student I hated most handouts; almost always I had no need for them after class and it was just a waste. It makes it hard for those who are organizationally challenged to have to handle so many papers.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 7:07 am
My kids school emails out reports. Saves everyone on paper and costs!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:55 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Having been through schools that didn't send home huge several page newsletters every week (especially with pictures! On oversized papers!), color copies, where lamination was rare... Where we didn't have posters covering every wall, awards and prizes and parties for every thing...
I don't get it. We didn't need it and I didn't realize I was missing it. Schools have to cut costs. I'd say start with these things...

Who's in?

Yeah, and I grew up without internet and cell phones and did fine. I think we're going to drop it all and just go with landlines.
So many, many things we can do without...
Look, I think there are ways to cut costs, but it's possible that your premise that I bolded is faulty. Kids need different types of motivation and sure, cut out the over top stuff, but some campaigns and awards might be crucial for them.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:25 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yeah, and I grew up without internet and cell phones and did fine. I think we're going to drop it all and just go with landlines.
So many, many things we can do without...
Look, I think there are ways to cut costs, but it's possible that your premise that I bolded is faulty. Kids need different types of motivation and sure, cut out the over top stuff, but some campaigns and awards might be crucial for them.

I totally get that some motivation is good and even necessary but when there is a prize or award for everything... I wonder what percent of tuition goes just for the stupid plastic toys, the candy and pizza parties, the awards.... And then the papers.
It is just wasteful.
And bad chinuch. If everything gets a prize then why do anything without one?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:31 am
LittleDucky wrote:
I totally get that some motivation is good and even necessary but when there is a prize or award for everything... I wonder what percent of tuition goes just for the stupid plastic toys, the candy and pizza parties, the awards.... And then the papers.
It is just wasteful.
And bad chinuch. If everything gets a prize then why do anything without one?

I agree. Definitely scale back. But don't eliminate.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 11:30 am
Let's say the school cuts down on paper and silly gifts. That could save some $5000 a year, which is real money. Now divide by 500 kids in a school and we're talking peanuts. Money saving ideas are great. Bring them up with the board. Now you have saved $10. That's not quite enough to fund a Pesach vacation.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
Let's say the school cuts down on paper and silly gifts. That could save some $5000 a year, which is real money. Now divide by 500 kids in a school and we're talking peanuts. Money saving ideas are great. Bring them up with the board. Now you have saved $10. That's not quite enough to fund a Pesach vacation.

But what about money-saving ideas that also contribute to the kids' chinuch, like revamping the contests, prizes, etc.?
And cutting down on paper can be both too.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 12:49 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
But what about money-saving ideas that also contribute to the kids' chinuch, like revamping the contests, prizes, etc.?
And cutting down on paper can be both too.

All good ideas. I totally agree that schools need to be creative in budgeting and in education.

The thing is that these moves won't cover the cost of scholarships. Most schools budget as close to the edge as possible, but something like 85-90 percent of the budget goes to salaries, and at least where I live, no one gets rich in chinuch.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 1:00 pm
And just to put school budgets into perspective:

From Census.gov
June 2, 2015 — Per pupil spending for the nation was $10,700 during fiscal year 2013, a 0.9 percent increase from 2012, but varied heavily among states with a high of $19,818 in New York and a low of $6,555 in Utah.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:

I have heard "but it's only going to save 5,000 so that's $10 a student...". But:

They spend way more than $10 a child a year on prizes, wasted papers etc. but even if hypothetically that was the amount, If that is one teachers salary that is paid on time isn't it worth it? (Not talking about raises here... Our schools often have a hard time making payroll as is.)
Also, and more importantly- if several of these cost saving measures are put into play that can add up to significant sums that should stop tuition increases! What about people who don't turn off lights when they leave a room? Water wasters? Teachers making unlimited copies? (I have seen "worksheets" that just have a few words on them and it wasn't something the kids couldn't write. Like "dvar Torah" and lines under it. Why can't they write it in their notebook? Do they NEED a special sheet for it?).

Schools need to cut back. Just like every household budget has ways to cut back (except if you are homeless and eat out of soup kitchens but I am not advocating that!) schools should work to try to cut back.
They don't have unlimited funds (even though they know they have an almost captive market). And if someone gave me an extra $20 or $50 a year I'd be grateful.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:51 pm
amother wrote:

The prizes might be silly to you but I know that my kids love getting prizes and it really motivates them.
Page 9 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics