Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Looking for special school for sensitive boy in Yerush

PurpleLady

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:29 am
My son is in a regular cheder, 3rd grade. He is a very sensitive kid with social difficulties and this year has become angry and defiant. One-on-one (as long as you're not trying to get him to do something), he is a dream child; non-teacher adults love him.

We've been through months of evals that ruled out ASD and ADD, (ODD as well), and he was "diagnosed" with an "emotional problem" (which they explained means he's emotionally hyper sensitive and therefore it's hard to meet his needs and he is not open for learning or to give his part in a peer relationship until his needs are met) with social difficulties and a slight auditory processing disorder.

His principal, my husband, and I are not sure we are ready to put him in a special ed setting. We've been advised against it, as once you start in that system, the kids tend to remain there, and he is a bright boy who has been managing until this year. (We're not closed to the idea, but we feel we should try other things first.)

I really want him in a school where he can thrive, not just manage to stay out of trouble. I feel that a Montessori approach or something similar would have been the answer, but there isn't that option for his age here. (I looked before putting him in cheder. Now there is a Montessori gan, but it's too late for him.) Does anyone have a son in a school that is either just a really special school, really sensitive staff, or a mainstreaming school, or ???

I am open to look at different ideas, even outside the charedi world. I believe there is an educational system in which he can thrive, I just don't know what it is yet.

(I know about Yedidim and Tvunot.)

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)