Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Moving to israel

amother
Coral

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 7:08 am
My husband and I are considering moving to israel for a few years and then coming back to america. Any advice about moving?
Does it make sense to get a storage unit? Does it make sense to ship a container? Is it worth just buying new things in israel?
Any and all advice will be helpful! Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:32 am
Why just for a few years?

A shipping container averages about $10,000. Unless you are emotionally attached to your stuff, that can buy a lot of new furniture. I have my great-grandmother's living room set, and a lot of her china, so we ended up shipping everything - but also because we are staying here forever. Very Happy

You can rent furnished apartments here if you keep an eye out.

queenert

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:42 am
I would recommend buying things here if you're going to be in/near Jlem. There are many, many families that come for few years and sell things before they leave. There are always moving sales, but especially before/after the different zmanim.
It should be easy to find things that fit your budget/style too. Some people sell brand name, like-new items, others sell lesser quality for cheap, etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:46 am
queenert wrote:
I would recommend buying things here if you're going to be in/near Jlem. There are many, many families that come for few years and sell things before they leave. There are always moving sales, but especially before/after the different zmanim.
It should be easy to find things that fit your budget/style too. Some people sell brand name, like-new items, others sell lesser quality for cheap, etc.

Agreed. While we were waiting for our lift to arrive, we bought some cheap furniture from a woman who was moving to a smaller house. Once our stuff got here, we moved the sofa and dining set that we'd bought, out to our covered balcony, to make a "fresh air living room".

fiji

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:03 am
OP here. Were going for a few years bc we will have to come back for work reasons. Is it worth shlepping pots and pans? Linens? Storage is so crazy expensive that it rlly doesnt pay to keep things like bedroom furniture...but it is so painful getting rid of them knowing we are coming back!

queenert

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:07 am
I was actually talking about smaller things like pots, pans, and linen since someone mentioned a furnished apartment.
Maybe rent/lend your furniture to someone? Plenty of people would be thrilled with that and you'd save on storage (provided they're liable for damages).

SacN

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:25 am
We made aliyah for good, so I don't know about going back, but we made a shipment of 3 beds, all housewares (pots, linens, etc), sefarim, couches, baby equipment and a few toys. It cost us about 4000$, and we bought the rest of our furniture here, and sold the remainder before we left.

If you are staying only a few years, find an anglo neighborhood. There are great deals on this stuff because it's always turning over hands, and a furnished apartment will be findable.

Where I live, you'd have to start from scratch, appliances, closets, etc. It's a fortune, unless you're investing in a long term home situation. Don't do that.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:30 am
wrong thread embarrassed

amother
Teal

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:34 am
The bigger issue is this: If you are not making aliyah, then you do not receive the benefit of an oleh. That means that whatever you ship to Israel will be taxed. So if you are going for a few years, then do not send a shipment.

jkw

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 7:21 am
BUMPING this up as we are looking for moving companies that imamothers would recommend. Not much furniture, mostly books, painting, china -- how was your company at packing breakables? All advice pro and con re moving companies welcome.

TIA
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions