Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Selling Yichud room present for $
Previous  1  2

SRS

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 6:46 pm
Selling jewelry is a decision best made with your husband. But, I'm a little concerned when I hear people wanting to sell something to fund an ongoing expense. It seems to me that when you are selling "big ticket" items to fund regular expenses like a playgroup, the 1st stop should be a good look at day to day income and expenses. Eventually you run out of stuff to sell, so it is important to figure this out. (Again, just my opinion).

amother
Black

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
funny. I didnt know people get jewelery in the yichud room

I got a kiss.

I got both!!! Smile

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:50 am
amother wrote:

I got a kiss.

My niece was telling me that a friend told her that nowadays some Kallahs get their Chossons a present for the Yichud room (back in my day it was only the Chosson giving the Kallah...)

to which my niece responded "In the Yichud room, I am the present!"

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:18 am
I didn't read the other posts, but if you need the money and it's worth it, finance-wise and you're dh is on board, I say go for it. The reason why I say this is because a few years ago someone stole my yichud room gift off my neck. Clearly I was very, very upset, but after awhile I got over it.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:38 am
I think this is a great idea.. I want to do it now. Never use it, no sentimental value at all.. Any idea where I can sell for decent money?

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:59 pm
Around 2 years ago, I was strapped for cash and traded in 4 pieces of jewelry. I got about 4500 shekels for it and was shocked to get that much. One was my yichud room necklace, which I absolutely hated and never wore (MIL chose and paid for it), another was an 18k hideous watch that MIL got from some relative and passed on to me because she didn't think anyone else in the family was thin enough to fit into it, another was an 18k wedding band that I found in my possession and have no idea where it came from, and the last was a 14k earring that was missing its match. None of the pieces were large or heavy, but the money I received was quite substantial. I say that if your DH doesn't mind, you should go for it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:

I got a kiss.

Me too!
My dh bought me a leather siddur set and hid it with the gifts. Nice!!
Not Chareidi, neither of us heard abt Yichud gifts.....Nor did the moms, I guess
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics