Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Zara Shabbos dress- advice?
1  2  3  Next

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:42 pm
I saw this in the store and fell in love with it.

http://m.zara.com/us/en/kids/g......html

However, despite buying two sizes larger than normal (one size up for tznius reasons, and another size up to allow for shrinkage, which unfortunately I find common in Zara merchandise), it's still too short with no hem to work with. With beautiful Shabbos wear at Brooklyn standards starting easily at upwards of $100 for young girls and tweens, $39.99 is a bargain. However, if I include a cardigan for close to $100, and add extra fabric plus alterations costs, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle, especially since Zara quality is so iffy- it may shrink terribly and be worthless, and especially if the added length doesn't shrink and may get pulled in a distorted manner. I would love to hear others' opinions.

Also, what are some solutions for alterations? I don't think it's worthwhile to buy an extra dress for the added fabric. Would turning it into a skirt work? I wasn't planning on having them wear the cardigan all the time, so would need a more summery top to wear with it if it becomes a skirt. (Since we have several simchos coming up, especially in late September, I figured a cardigan addition would be an acceptable way of wearing such a summery dress at that time.)

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Fri, May 06 2016, 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:44 pm
This is the sweater I paired it with, in neon fuchsia:

But now I'm wondering if the pink is too dark for the dress.

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Fri, May 06 2016, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:23 am
Bump

rofa

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:29 am
The dress link isn't working...

cm

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:35 am
If you add length, pre-shrink the fabric and the dress by washing and drying several times using whatever method you would use for the garment regularly.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:40 am
Neither of the links are working.
Can you post pictures?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:23 am
Sorry about that. I corrected both links.

cfriedman2

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:27 am
honestly not loving the dress sorry. Also I find that the zaras dresses I order for my daughter are SOOOO Short! shes 4 and I had to order a 7 which makes it more boxy everywhere else.

check out next direct. nice stuff and better quality

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:31 am
cfriedman2 wrote:
honestly not loving the dress sorry. Also I find that the zaras dresses I order for my daughter are SOOOO Short! shes 4 and I had to order a 7 which makes it more boxy everywhere else.

check out next direct. nice stuff and better quality

It's OK, you don't have to like it. Tastes differ, and I do! But it's definitely much prettier in real life. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. However, I love Zara's free shipping and returns.

rofa

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:42 am
Maybe add an eyelet scalloped trim underneath?

Or just buy a piece of similar weight white fabric and have it sewn on. I've even see people do it with wide grosgrain ribbon.

gilamom

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:47 am
Like PP said, try a wide grosgrain ribbon or eyelet edging lace, I'm not a seamstress so I attach it to the hem with iron on hemming tape.

cnc

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:50 am
the dress is really really pretty. the sweater might be too bright for it , unless you add lace or ribbon in the same color as the sweater.
BTW, I usually go up 3 sizes for my daughter in Zara.

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:53 am
Tip tip in your hood has prehemmed stuff- a big variety. Add that to the bottom.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:10 am
cnc wrote:
the dress is really really pretty. the sweater might be too bright for it , unless you add lace or ribbon in the same color as the sweater.
BTW, I usually go up 3 sizes for my daughter in Zara.

I already went up to the largest size for DD1- can't go higher. But besides, if I go up too large, it needs to be taken in and it's not cost effective. What do you do?

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:18 am
That dress is just too short to begin with, so it doesn't give you many options. Even if you wanted to extend you would need alot of fabric.

When I buy a dress from Zara's I try to take a longer dress for starters, and then work with it.

I got this for DD: http://www.zara.com/us/en/kids......html

I started with two sizes up - She could technically fit the 7 or the 8 - but I went with the 9-10. Plus it had a bit of hem that I took down to the longest possible, and now it's fine. I do alterations myself, and steamed it out, and voila! Beautiful dress for 39.90.

I'm debating whether to take the sides in a drop but it totally looks fine on her.

I also figure that if she has a growth spurt mid-summer (she usually does) I'll buy a length of thick gross-grain ribbon in one of the colors matching the dress, and sew it to the bottom to extend it's wearable length thru the season. Ribbon is not very expensive, and I can do the sewing myself.

pause

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:19 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
This is the sweater I paired it with, in neon fuchsia:

But now I'm wondering if the pink is too dark for the dress.

Sorry can't help with sizing, but I would go with a lighter pink cardigan.

cnc

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:31 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I already went up to the largest size for DD1- can't go higher. But besides, if I go up too large, it needs to be taken in and it's not cost effective. What do you do?

I take it in and I only buy extremely cheap dresses from Zara's (just got one for 17.99). Otherwise it's not really worth getting dresses from there.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:32 am
Chayalle wrote:
That dress is just too short to begin with, so it doesn't give you many options. Even if you wanted to extend you would need alot of fabric.

When I buy a dress from Zara's I try to take a longer dress for starters, and then work with it.

I started with two sizes up - She could technically fit the 7 or the 8 - but I went with the 9-10. Plus it had a bit of hem that I took down to the longest possible, and now it's fine. I do alterations myself, and steamed it out, and voila! Beautiful dress for 39.90.

I'm debating whether to take the sides in a drop but it totally looks fine on her.

I also figure that if she has a growth spurt mid-summer (she usually does) I'll buy a length of thick gross-grain ribbon in one of the colors matching the dress, and sew it to the bottom to extend it's wearable length thru the season. Ribbon is not very expensive, and I can do the sewing myself.

Also pretty (but I still like mine a lot better, lol). Similar enough to my dress, but also seems to be the same style dress in another print as I purchased two summers ago from Zara (all the frum little girls were wearing it in the large neighborhoods in the tristate area)- it came in a royal blue floral or yellow floral print. I added white grosgrain ribbon but it also shrunk. Is this dress longer than the one in my link?

cnc

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:33 am
Chayalle wrote:

I know many people that got this dress. It is beautiful and looks very expensive IRL .

kollel wife

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 11:53 am
I would buy another dress and use that fabric - I think it's more likely to lie properly- not shrink etc. Since it's a Shabbos dress- wash in cold water and hang don't dry !!!

If you have two daughters - you could probably use one extra dress for both.

I've done that before bought 4 dresses - for three girls - but the dress was just a bit too short. I bought the largest size for the extra dress and add a "tier" to each dress- I got lots of compliments, and I'm not a great sewer.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics