Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Are you kidding me?
1  2  3  Next

RW

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:37 am
Is Deblasio really expecting everyone to pay an extra 5 cents per bag at supermarkets? Its enough that everything is so expensive as it is, this just adds insult to injury. I am a stay at home mom without a car. I need the shopping bags to schlep my groceries home. Canvas bags seem so uncomfortable to use. I am seething as I am posting this!!!!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:40 am
I dont know where you live but many countries already do this and israel will be starting this in 2017. its the way of the future.
nothing we can do but get used to it.
and canvas bags are not that uncomfortable.

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:46 am
Canvas bags don't rip or cut into your fingers. You can get insulated ones for when you buy meat or dairy.you can get lightweight mesh ones for the lighter items.
Look at it positively, you can now be stylish while grocery shopping!

RW

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont know where you live but many countries already do this and israel will be starting this in 2017. its the way of the future.
nothing we can do but get used to it.
and canvas bags are not that uncomfortable.

When you dont have a car and have to schlep groceries in the rain and have no good way if tying a canvas bag shut, carrying a shopping wet bag and wet groceries doesntvseem so comfortable to me. An umbrella only does so much. Shopping now is going to be a disaster for me.

chany789

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:50 am
When you go to grocery put everything into cardboard boxes

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:56 am
RW wrote:
When you dont have a car and have to schlep groceries in the rain and have no good way if tying a canvas bag shut, carrying a shopping wet bag and wet groceries doesntvseem so comfortable to me. An umbrella only does so much. Shopping now is going to be a disaster for me.

when I didnt have a car I either went shopping with a big napsack or a granny cart like this: http://images.search.yahoo.com.....v-web

cm

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:02 am
Please get over it.

There are many kinds of reusable bags, including closeable waterproof styles. You will figure out what works best for you soon enough.

shacn

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:06 am
Start collecting your plastics from now!

studying_torah

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:21 am
I reuse plastic bags from the grocery for so many things. Throwing out diapers, in the car for kids who get car sick etc. You can't use canvas bags for those things.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:24 am
My relatives live in Massachusetts and the people there have believed for a long time to keep the planet green. My grandmother A"H at the age of 95 used the canvas bags, and for perishable items she even had some of them with insulation...in my opinion they are better than plastic shopping bags. It's a change you'll just have to get used to. All beginnings are hard, but it will eventually become second nature to you.

cm

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:25 am
Maybe because I grew up before plastic grocery bags were common, I don't see that life will be so difficult.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:25 am
Washington State (and many others) have been doing this for ages. People survive just fine.

If you don't have a car, I second getting a "granny cart" or rolling suitcase, and keep all of your canvas bags in there so you don't forget them. Pretty soon it will become a habit, and you'll forget all about the plastics.

Bonus, you get to feel morally superior about keeping things out of the landfills. Wink

cfriedman2

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:28 am
canvas bags for the supermarket are amazing. They hold so much more and dont rip.

water_bear88

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:34 am
Hmm. Any ideas on what to use to line small trash cans instead of those bags? I even use one in the kitchen most of the week since most of our waste goes in recycling and chaval to waste a normal garbage bag. I guess I'll just have to calculate how many I need and pay for them like a grocery item.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:37 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Hmm. Any ideas on what to use to line small trash cans instead of those bags? I even use one in the kitchen most of the week since most of our waste goes in recycling and chaval to waste a normal garbage bag. I guess I'll just have to calculate how many I need and pay for them like a grocery item.
there are small garbage bags you can buy just the sane as big ones.

water_bear88

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:39 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Thanks- I've honestly never looked that closely at that aisle.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

So now you will buy bags and they will end up in the same place anyways. Rolling Eyes
I always reuse my bags. Trash can liners, diapers when I am out of the house, neighbors use them to pick up their dog's poop...
Surveys of places that have stopped giving out places have found that food poisoning has dramatically increased when the law was passed. You need to wash out those bags weekly which just sends all that soap and wasted water into our water system. And people forget to wash the bags- which you carries home the leaking package of chicken in. Then you used it for your lunch with the apple that now gets contaminated. The bag sat on the hot bus with you, growing bacteria the entire time.
Makes you hungry for lunch now, right?

israel22

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:54 am
LittleDucky wrote:
So now you will buy bags and they will end up in the same place anyways. Rolling Eyes
I always reuse my bags. Trash can liners, diapers when I am out of the house, neighbors use them to pick up their dog's poop...
Surveys of places that have stopped giving out places have found that food poisoning has dramatically increased when the law was passed. You need to wash out those bags weekly which just sends all that soap and wasted water into our water system. And people forget to wash the bags- which you carries home the leaking package of chicken in. Then you used it for your lunch with the apple that now gets contaminated. The bag sat on the hot bus with you, growing bacteria the entire time.
Makes you hungry for lunch now, right?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh gross!!!!!!!!!!

cm

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:58 am
I don't get it - why would you use a bag from leaking chicken for your lunch?

My entire family and most people in my workplace have been using reusable lunch bags for about twenty five years. As a child I used paper lunch bags (and reused them without incident). How do dirty grocery bags fit into this?

EnnuiGalore

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 11:01 am
RW wrote:
Is Deblasio really expecting everyone to pay an extra 5 cents per bag at supermarkets? Its enough that everything is so expensive as it is, this just adds insult to injury. I am a stay at home mom without a car. I need the shopping bags to schlep my groceries home. Canvas bags seem so uncomfortable to use. I am seething as I am posting this!!!!!

Um, so order groceries online and start saving bags now. Not so tough.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics