Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Are you kidding me?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 12:21 pm
This is not a new thing many many places do this worldwide.
It is a "green earth" program to get people to use material bags or boxes.

OBVIOUSLY (well I thought it was obvious but from above posts I guess not) something perishable and leak-possible such as raw meat and fish or milk or yoghurts, should be wrapped in the bags they offer at the grocery for such things (same as fruit and veg bags) or throw out the bag it was in if it got wet or dirty. I always do this and I have never had an issue.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 12:27 pm
My area started this also and I was expecting it to be horrible. BH it was not! One large chain store gives out thick plastic bags that are supposed to reusable but they don't expect you to bring them back in. I use them for all kinds of things at home. They also offer paper. I have learned I prefer the paper. If I take the stroller shopping, I can fit a good amount of paper bags in the basket.

Simple1

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 12:30 pm
Sometimes I wish they would ban bags over here. I don't like to throw them out, and figure I'll save them to use. Which I do sometimes. But they accumulate so quickly that I end up having to throw tons out which makes me feel bad. But I would feel odd switching to cloth bags if it's not the way of doing things here.

cm

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 12:39 pm
In my state we still have plastic bags, but many stores have recycling containers for them.

I also prefer paper bags, but rarely see them anymore. Back in the days of "paper or plastic?" I would choose paper. They stand up nicely in the trunk of the car and are fairly easy to stack if you are walking home with a grocery cart. And they make the best textbook covers!

penguin

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 1:37 pm
You really do have to wash your cloth bags often. Send the mayor a study about what that costs the environment.

And why can't they make biodegradable disposable bags?

IMHopinion

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 1:44 pm
Will the 5 cents really make a difference if you continue to use bags?

How many bags do you shop per week? 20? That's an extra $1 on your grocery bill per WEEK.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 1:50 pm
yes for people who cannot afford food 5¢ x each bag certainly does make a difference

in whole foods they actually pay you 5¢ per paper bag you don't use ...

remember the days of only paper bags ?

I think it's nice to save the environment but who can remember to bring the canvas bags to the store - not I ... but my daughters do a good job

oh and they should have a choice: paper or plastic

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 1:55 pm
RW wrote:
When you dont have a car and have to schlep groceries in the rain and have no good way if tying a canvas bag shut, carrying a shopping wet bag and wet groceries doesntvseem so comfortable to me. An umbrella only does so much. Shopping now is going to be a disaster for me.

So when it rains, you can splurge on shopping bags. All other days you do shopping, you can manage with a canvas bag.

IMHopinion

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 1:57 pm
greenfire wrote:
yes for people who cannot afford food 5¢ x each bag certainly does make a difference

in whole foods they actually pay you 5¢ per paper bag you don't use ...

remember the days of only paper bags ?

I think it's nice to save the environment but who can remember to bring the canvas bags to the store - not I ... but my daughters do a good job

oh and they should have a choice: paper or plastic

People who really can't afford food can get food stamps.
Food stamp users won't be charged the 5 cents.

Not that I agree with all this new tax slapped onto us, but I don't think this is that much of a big deal.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:02 pm
I agree that paper should be an option, and plastic available at additional cost.

sky

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:14 pm
I recycle my plastic bags all the time.
Line garbage cans
Pack in suitcase
wrap things in my fridge to prevent spills.
Garbage bag when cleaning up house or yard.
Dirty clothes for cleaner
Dirty diaper bag.

I rarely throw them out without using them for a second job.

Of course I can buy bags in the store. But that seems silly. At least with the bags I'm recycling already. (using something old again). When I buy, not only is it used once, the packaging (box and ink) and transportation (truck to deliver to store) and production (factory pollution) all are not green.

tryinghard

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:29 pm
This bill was passed as environmental measure - you know, let's not have so many nasty plastic bags filling up the landfill.
Too bad that everywhere that has implemented this change has found that the reusable bags get thrown out as well - and THEY are worse for the environment than the disposable ones...

sky

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:36 pm
tryinghard wrote:
This bill was passed as environmental measure - you know, let's not have so many nasty plastic bags filling up the landfill.
Too bad that everywhere that has implemented this change has found that the reusable bags get thrown out as well - and THEY are worse for the environment than the disposable ones...

I remember hearing that. And they grow bacteria.

Everything has to be considered, production, transportation, materials used, how long they last before they are tossed. Some bags are only beneficial after 100 uses.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 3:24 pm
Ahh but feel good legislation is what matters. Not reality.

centurion

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 3:35 pm
sky wrote:
I recycle my plastic bags all the time.
Line garbage cans
Pack in suitcase
wrap things in my fridge to prevent spills.

Garbage bag when cleaning up house or yard.
Dirty clothes for cleaner
Dirty diaper bag.

I rarely throw them out without using them for a second job.

Of course I can buy bags in the store. But that seems silly. At least with the bags I'm recycling already. (using something old again). When I buy, not only is it used once, the packaging (box and ink) and transportation (truck to deliver to store) and production (factory pollution) all are not green.

I reuse produce bags for those (and the bonus for the first two is you can still see what's in it.) Clothes for the cleaners can also go in a canvas bag. as for garbage bags, those you can buy, even for small trash cans. or buy extra grocery bags for 5 cents if that works out better pricewise.

sourstix

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 4:29 pm
Op I am just as upset as you
I get it
It's hard enough when I don't drive to shlep in the cold or rain with these bags and to still pay for it and to remember to bring alon?! Puleeeeze
The mayors of nyc are becoming more ridiculous as they' come
Yes let's c diasio using those bags
It's a nice idea but just too complicated for me
At this point I don't shop myself and I get a ride with dh so we use boxes but I used to shlep things when I lived in brooklyn

perquacky

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 4:57 pm
It's going to be harder to pick up after our dog, but we'll manage. They sell bags for that.
It would be nice if paper came back to the stores so I would have something to cover my kids' textbooks with like we did in the old days!

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 2:49 pm
Over Shabbos I was reading a book about allergy management. I found out that in the manufacturing of paper bags and paper towels, there is an enormous amount of formaldehyde! It takes a long time to off-gas, and can irritate asthma.

Another problem with paper bags from grocery stores, is that cockroaches LOVE to lay their eggs on them. That and cardboard boxes are their favorite nesting places. When I lived on the east coast it was really bad, and we had to be careful and take all of our cardboard boxes and paper bags directly to the outdoor bins the second we got our groceries put away. Otherwise, we'd be infested within a week. Confused (We also had to store our toilet paper in the refrigerator. Oh, the joy of old, low income buildings.)

Skippy!!

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 9:06 pm
It's the hard working middle class who get hurt the most.

Rosemarie

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:57 am
IMHopinion wrote:
People who really can't afford food can get food stamps.
Food stamp users won't be charged the 5 cents.

Not that I agree with all this new tax slapped onto us, but I don't think this is that much of a big deal.

Food stamp users won't be charged to 5cents only when using food stamps. But when their food stamps runs out before the end of the month (inevitable occurrence) they will then be charged the 5 cents since they will pay with cash. And those people who are low middle class, who can barely afford all necessities but make too much for food stamps (and all other benefits, so life for them is super expensive and unaffordable), they too must pay the 5 cents. This just adds insult to injury! These people obviously have difficulty affording their groceries to begin with, adding 5cents per bag each time they ship is a big deal for them!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics