Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
2 burner stovetop / dishwasher in small kitchen

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:43 am
trying to figure out if it's worth it for me
we are limited with space cuz its a small kitchen

I cook lots of pareve but if I have two stovetops, one regular and one of 2 burners, I'd designate the reg for fleishig and smaller one for milchigs. Pareve I could do on either one? So what's the point? I hardly ever cook solid milchigs.

same question re dishwasher. I don't have one now and dont feeel the need for it. but everyone's saying how once you have it, it's sooooo good, so I'm trying to think if its worth the space it'll use up.
can I use same dishwasher for fleishigs and pareve? I bake a lot so if I could dump my mixer bowl in that would be wonderful and worthwhile. also my food processsor, I use it a lot in my pareve cooking.
for fleishigs it would be basically only for after shabbas for the shabbas dishes. otherwise I rarely have enough pots/pans/dishes to warrant running a cycle.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:48 am
Look at Fisher Paykel 2 drawer dishwasher - you can use one drawer milchig, one fleishig. Or consider a countertop dishwasher, which uses half the space of a normal one.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:55 am
I just moved to Israel, after 50 years of being used to big American kitchens. It's quite an adjustment, but you'd be amazed at what you get used to not having.

I use a little countertop burner, but we're not particular to keep them separate because DH says it gets hot enough to go from one to the other, and I don't cook milk and meat in the same days, so it cools in between. I don't miss the big 4 burner stove top at all.

I do wish we had a dishwasher, but that's just because I'm lazy and hate doing dishes. Wink We're watching our money right now, so it's not on the top list of things to get. We need a dairy toaster oven first. If you don't mind doing dishes by hand, and you don't have enough to run a full cycle every day or two, then I wouldn't bother with the expense and loss of storage space. It's a personal decision, IMHO.

I still haven't found the box with my china in it, so we're still eating off of disposables. When I find my good plates, I'm sure that my opinion will change, and a dishwasher will become a necessity. Of course, that means I have to unpack all the rest of my boxes - except - go back to the part about me being lazy! LOL

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
Look at Fisher Paykel 2 drawer dishwasher - you can use one drawer milchig, one fleishig. Or consider a countertop dishwasher, which uses half the space of a normal one.

I for sure dont need a milchig dishwasher! how will a 2 drawer dishwasher fit my pareve baking things and food processor parts? those are big and clumsy pieces that are hard to wash in a sink and that's why I would consider a dishwasher.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:02 am
Regarding using the DW for both fleishiks (or milchiks) and pareve, please ask your LOR. My Rav allows it.

I have an 18" DW that I use for milchiks and pareve. Yes, my baking sheets do fit in it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:35 am
As far as the cooktop, if you have electric coil burners, they pretty much kasher themselves when they glow red hot. Or you could designate a burner or 2 for pareve — I do that on my milchik gas range.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 11:30 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
As far as the cooktop, if you have electric coil burners, they pretty much kasher themselves when they glow red hot. Or you could designate a burner or 2 for pareve — I do that on my milchik gas range.

the issue is not about the burner/grate. it's about cooking fleishing and pareve things at the same time on the same stovetop. I can currently have on a thursday morning chicken soup for shabbas, cholent for shabbas, pareve string beans for supper cooking while I make myself milchig scrambled eggs for lunch. if the chicken soup bubble over, it's problematic. thats why I dont see how having a 2 burner stovetop will help me.

L K

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 10:32 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Regarding using the DW for both fleishiks (or milchiks) and pareve, please ask your LOR. My Rav allows it.

I have an 18" DW that I use for milchiks and pareve. Yes, my baking sheets do fit in it.

Rubber ducky, out of curiosity, do you know the reasoning behind allowing one dishwasher to be used for 2 types?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen