Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job interview question: Illegal?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 12:50 pm
Is it illegal for a job applicant to be asked how they plan on getting to work everyday? I have been asked that numerous times and since I do not always have a car (I can do public transit as needed) and the jobs I apply for do not require me to travel once at work, I am not sure as to the legality of the question. I never get hired by places that ask the question.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 1:01 pm
It is legal to ask if you have a reliable means of transportation. Asking specifically if you have a car would be a no-no. Asking how you plan to get to work is questionable.

Public tranaportation can often be unreliable, which is why it is a concern, but it has to be worded properly.

ROFL

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 3:52 pm
Yes I think it is legal I asked someoen who lived in NJ and wanted a job in Long Island --- I asked have you considered the time you are traveling and the costs Is it worth it for you travel in? They took the job but they just started so I don't know if they will last
There was another person who was going to travel from monsey to brooklyn and after our interview and asking that question she realized that if she factors in the travel time and costs she really did not earn more money than the jobs she could get in monsey She actually thanked me for making her think that way !

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 12:01 pm
I've been asked that when interviewing for jobs where I had to be there On. The. Dot. Stock markets open on time, and they need me to be at the desk and ready to answer phones, etc.

If the subway was closed because of a track fire, I would have to grab the next cab and rush to the office, even if the cost of the cab would cost me a day's wages. At least that way I was sure to have a job the next day.

(I don't miss working in NYC.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics