Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How much cleaning for landlord showing my apartment?
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 12:51 am
My landlord has decided to sell my apartment and is showing it, although my lease isn't up till after the summer. The first time the real estate agent came, I cleaned it perfectly. But she is bringing people by a lot and I just don't have the energy. We are relatively neat but we do live here. There are books on the table (homework... ) and may be a couple of things in the kitchen sink. Is that reasonable?

groisamomma

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 2:02 am
I'm sure the people know it's a house, not a museum. Don't make yourself crazy.

israel22

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 2:36 am
yeah I agree! u do the best you can. I am guilty of not always having my past home clean when realtors were come sooooooo often! (owners never found out bh Wink ) but do what you can!!!

seeker

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 3:23 am
I would say make the house itself look nice but you don't need to stop your life. Dishes in the sink fine, mold in sink not fine. Books on table fine. Bloodstains on walls not fine. Wet towel in bathroom fine. Dirt on toilet, sink, and bathtub not fine. Basically they want to show that the house is well-kept. So if you look like a generally functional family that should work well.

If the landlord has any issues you can ask if they want to sponsor a cleaning lady next time.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 4:14 am
I don't know if it's possible but when I visited apartments, a lot of their owners had appointed time - like Monday and Thursday from 6 to 8 for the visits for ex. If you can settle up such an arrangement, you will be able to clean a little more each time before without having to worry that it's always clean!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 8:47 am
After the first few came (or said they'd come then change the date and time) and I realized how much stress I was under and it held me back from packing, I made it clear to my landlord in a nice say that I would be available on Mondays from 4:00pm on and Fridays from 1:00pm on. And that was it. Pick two times a week that you are willing to stretch yourself thin and offer those times.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 12:48 pm
I can already see that asking for a couple of time periods isn't going to work. When we originally talked I asked for them to limit visits to before 6 pm. The very first time she asked if she could bring people it was at 6 pm, "just this once." I also made a point of telling her that I will not get an email she sends me between 7 pm friday and 9 pm Saturday, so that doesn't count as advance notice for Sunday morning. So very first shabbos, she emailed me. I need a reference from this landlord so am trying to cooperate, but timing for this move is awful and her showing the apt is adding a lot of stress.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 3:59 pm
My landlord is also pressuring us to allow people to come view. I told him I'm not allowing ANYONE in until I'm out. My house is clean and cozy but I don't need people checking it out...

greenfire

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 5:22 pm
do the best you can - you sound relatively neat

just continue living & set times that are better for you without making yourself meshuga

[I like what seeker said above]

Raisin

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 5:43 pm
I had no idea landlords were allowed to do that.

cm

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
My landlord is also pressuring us to allow people to come view. I told him I'm not allowing ANYONE in until I'm out. My house is clean and cozy but I don't need people checking it out...

But the landlord needs to find a new tenant. Why should s/he lose a month of rent because you don't want visitors? It is normal, IME, for a landlord to show the apartment as soon as the current tenants give notice. The current tenant is expected to be normally clean, nothing special. I've been on both sides (apartment seeking and moving out) a few times and it is really not a big deal.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 8:16 pm
This is OP. I am fairly neat and certainly very clean. There may be a few dishes in the sink and there will almost certainly be books and seforim on the table. Erev shabbos/erev yt there may be a bit of a balagan in the kitchen. But the landlord wants it perfect anytime they want to show. I haven't been well and this is really a problem for me, as is the idea that I need to be available pretty much whenever. I told the real estate agent this today and she said that we would "work it out," but I am not very assertive and I think she knows that and she assumes that "work it out" means I do what they want when they want it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 8:39 pm
cm wrote:
But the landlord needs to find a new tenant. Why should s/he lose a month of rent because you don't want visitors? It is normal, IME, for a landlord to show the apartment as soon as the current tenants give notice. The current tenant is expected to be normally clean, nothing special. I've been on both sides (apartment seeking and moving out) a few times and it is really not a big deal.

Key words being normally clean. OPs landlord wants it perfect and that is not reasonable. If he wants it perfect then he should wait until she moves out. If he wants it to be shown all the time then it will be as is. He can't have his cake and eat it too.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 8:43 pm
Standard lease generally say landlord can come with 48 hours notice to show people.
You are entitled within reason to make hours or not be available at all times but dont have a right to refuse.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 8:47 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Standard lease generally say landlord can come with 48 hours notice to show people.
You are entitled within reason to make hours or not be available at all times but dont have a right to refuse.

Correct. But he doesn't have a right to stipulate how neat it should be.

groisamomma

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 10:20 pm
Yes, but in reference to amother above whose landlord has to wait until she's out is just plain selfish.

imalady

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:27 am
just say no once, the realtor will then realize she has to work with you. Everyone needs to be reasonable.

5mom

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 2:56 am
amother wrote:

As others have said, a standard lease agreement requires renters to allow the house to be shown, with reasonable advance notice. You can argue about what constitutes reasonable advance notice, but refusing to allow anyone in may be a violation of the lease.

But the landlord can't ask for perfection. It's reasonable to expect that the beds will be made and that there are no odors from the kitchen and bathroom. More than that is nice but not enforceable. Perhaps the landlord would be willing to pay for cleaning help if the op's standards are not high enough for him.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:21 pm
This post is scaring me a bit... We are considering moving and I KNOW my landlord will want to show it during crazy times. Like shabbos. Or erev shabbos. Or after my kids are asleep. They don't go to bed at crazy early times but I can totally see her asking for the place to be spotless and open at 8pm. You wake my kids up- you are up with them all night...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:44 pm
First of all, the landlord can not show it on shabbos BY LAW. You have a legally mandated right to keep your religion (first amendment). Erev shabbos is another story. I spoke to a lawyer to find out what my rights were and he felt an hour before shabbos was absolutely reasonable. I know -- two hours before shabbos your house is a madhouse. Mine too. Deliveries may be coming, people are showering, ironing their shabbos skirt, making just one more dessert. We don't want "visitors" then either. So far this hasn't come up with my landlord but I do intend to explain that any Friday afternoon showing, even a couple of hours earlier, is going to have to be "as is." My guess is that if he pushes this point just once he won't again.

In terms of 8 p.m., the lawyer said that hours should be roughly business hours or a little later (to accommodate potential buyers who have to come after work). So 6 pm is reasonable or maybe even 7, but you are absolutely in your rights to say that your children go to bed at 8 and after that there can be no showings, or if there are, their rooms are off limits and people are asked to be VERY quiet.

The lawyer was talking about NY so please don't extrapolate from this if you live somewhere else!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics