Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What is a fair amount to offer to pay for this?

noosheen

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 8:53 pm
Taking my child home from school 2x per week.

It takes approximately 40 minutes of this person's time to travel from her home to child's school to my home.

I have absolutely no idea what to ask for this service....

Thanks!

Raisin

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 4:53 am
Is she taking her own kid at the same time?

I would think about $10...

noosheen

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 7:51 am
She has no kids of her own.
Strictly going to make a few bucks.

I was thinking $10.00-is that too little?

gp2.0

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:17 am
$10 is definitely too little if she's going there just for you. I'd say at least $15.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:21 am
$10 and $15 seem extremely low. That probably covers gas only. I'd say a dollar a minute, considering it's not that often and she is going entirely out of her way.

SYA

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:37 am
A dollar a minute is a lot. That's about $40 per day. No babysitter gets $40 for 40 minutes.

What do babysitters charge in your area? Pay for the hour and maybe add for the gas.
My area, babysitters charge about $10/hour. Gas for 40 min is about $5.
$15-20 is reasonable.

Blessing1

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:37 am
I would pay around $20-$25 per trip.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:54 am
SYA wrote:
A dollar a minute is a lot. That's about $40 per day. No babysitter gets $40 for 40 minutes.

What do babysitters charge in your area? Pay for the hour and maybe add for the gas.
My area, babysitters charge about $10/hour. Gas for 40 min is about $5.
$15-20 is reasonable.

How is a chauffeur the same as a babysitter?

Rosemarie

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:28 am
I don't think this is comparable to babysitting. But why not call a taxi/car service company in your area and find out how much they charge to go from school to your house. That is what you should be paying her, maybe plus a bit more since she is taking your child without you, so she has to be more attentive... (You do not have to include her time driving from her house to school. Most people don't get paid for their commute to work.)

greenfire

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:06 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
(You do not have to include her time driving from her house to school. Most people don't get paid for their commute to work.)

except in this case it's the job description ... drive

op consider how much you would pay for a package delivery ... now imagine a priceless cargo such as your child

yeah I think it's worth a lot more considering this is not a pop another kid in the car alongside hers

noosheen

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:16 pm
Op here. Thanks all. Appreciate your input

joy613

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:18 pm
I agree that 10 sounds too little.
I'd go with 20-25.

sourstix

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:35 pm
I pay a car service everyday one trip its about 3-5 min and gets 11$ (I know its expensive but its lakewood everything is far from each other)

myym

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:45 pm
I pay $6 each way for mty son and its a total of 15 minutes and she take a bunch of kids. I would say about $10-12 each way. But My daughter goes on a van for a 40 minute ride and they charge $8 each way and there are other kids. So again $12 would be fair I suppose..Although I doubt it would be worth it for her..

Rosemarie

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:55 pm
greenfire wrote:
except in this case it's the job description ... drive

op consider how much you would pay for a package delivery ... now imagine a priceless cargo such as your child

yeah I think it's worth a lot more considering this is not a pop another kid in the car alongside hers

The job description is drive from school to her home. Does not include her driving from wherever she is to school to get the child. If she decides to go to the mall an hour away before picking the child up, do you need to pay for that driving time too? What if she is next door to school one day for some reason, will she not charge for driving to her job that day?

If I call a car service I only pay for getting me from point a to point b. Not for the time it takes the driver to get to me, regardless of whether he is around the corner or a mile away.

I pay about $8 to have a car service take my big girls to school on days they miss the bus. It's a 12-15 minute drive. So for the service of having someone every single day, the same person, and since it's pickup from school may involve a big more responsibility, such as making sure he/she gets to the car, is buckles in safely... For that I would pay a bit more, so I agree that $15 is fair. But $25 or more would be way too much, though it may not be worth it from her perspective to spend all that time for just $15.

watergirl

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 1:01 pm
You need to pay a premium to keep the other person interested in the commitment. This ks essentially mid day for her. If you pay $15, is thag enough for her to not quit knce she realizes how inconvenient it is for her? You arent just paying for the driving. You are paying for her time and solid commitment.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 1:11 pm
noosheen wrote:
Taking my child home from school 2x per week.

It takes approximately 40 minutes of this person's time to travel from her home to child's school to my home.

I have absolutely no idea what to ask for this service....

Thanks!

(I haven't read through the responses yet)
I do a carpool service and the fees go like this:
$5 per trip
$20 per week
$70 per month

That is all one way

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 1:12 pm
watergirl wrote:
You need to pay a premium to keep the other person interested in the commitment. This ks essentially mid day for her. If you pay $15, is thag enough for her to not quit knce she realizes how inconvenient it is for her? You arent just paying for the driving. You are paying for her time and solid commitment.

I agree, I used a babysitter that took $4.00 an hour but I paid her $10.00 an hour so that she would remain committed even when it wasnt so convenient for her...my DH never understood that but I needed it for my own sanity knowing that she wouldnt just back out on a whim. It was worth it. Unfortunately she is moving away and can no longer babysit. I am looking for someone to come to my home now and take my DS off the bus every day and stay with him until I get home and I'm willing to pay more than the expected amount just to have the reassurance that the person will remain committed to the job.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 1:46 pm
watergirl wrote:

Most people who offer driving services know about the inconvenience. They make a commitment at the beginning, knowing there may be inconvenient days when they will still have to drive. I made the commitment this year, and again next year. The only time I didn't drive was when my grandfather died and intook off to go to the levaya.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics