Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Sheitel with a warranty?

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 10:45 pm
I need to replace my sheitel.

The sheitel that I am replacing lost a ton of hair on the back. It was less than 18 months old. I wore it frequently, but still.... For $1800 (shoulder blade length) I expected to get more life out of it.

I don't care about getting a "fancy" brand, it's more important to me that I purchase from a reputable company that will stand behind their product.

Ideally, I would like to purchase directly from the salon/manufacturer so that I can trace the purchase if I have a problem.

There is no one who sells in my area so I would have to travel to Brooklyn or Monsey to buy something. If anyone has any experience with a company or seller in one of these places that will stand behind their product, please let me know!

Leahh

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:19 am
In my experience your better off going to a good sheitel macher that sells a variety of brands and guarantees the sheitel. She'll know what the best Brand is for your hair color, style, texture... she's worked with them so knows them well.
You'll have an individual to talk to and work with if there's something wrong. Rather than going direct to the company. You may end up talking to a different person each time and being passed from person to person without getting anywhere. Also, a company doesn't lose much by telling you too bad we can't help you. They have more to lose by telling that to one of their big resellers.
A sheitel macher can also exchange a sheitel you are not happy with and resell it at a lower cost. A company usually won't do that.
As far as companies go, you'll always find some people that are happy and some that are not. The one company I've been happiest with closed down a few years ago and I haven't found a decent replacement yet.
I am not a sheitel masher!
(Just a consumer with too many bad experiences)

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 8:58 am
LeahH, thank you so much for that response.

This is what happened: I was in a city with a lot of sheitel machers for a family simcha and I purchased one. I specifically asked, "What should I do if I have any issues?" The seller said, "Oh, just send it back to me." Great, no problem.

Well, now 18 months later, she is not able to help me. Her line of thinking, which she explained to me, is this: "I can't go to bat with this company for you, because I don't know what you did to it. You didn't bring the sheitel to me for wash and set (I live 350 miles away), so how do I know that you treated it properly? " I understand where she is coming from--- she can't vouch for me that I treated the sheitel properly.

I know that some people are going to suggest that I fight with this sheitel macher. I am not going to (that's why I didn't want to post the whole story to begin with) -- for a number of reasons. I am need to forget about it and move on, so some recommendations would be helpful.

Following LeahH's wisdom, does anyone have suggestions of someone in the NY metro area that would be good to work with? I don't live in the area, but it's not a big deal for me to come in for a day to buy something. Monsey is the easiest place for me to get to, but I can also travel to Brooklyn, Queens, etc...

sky

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:11 am
In my experience:
the longest someone will stand behind a sheitel is 12 months, most are 6 months. They will say if there is a problem it will show up right away and you MUST tell them right away.
I have dealt with sheitel machurs who will only replace it if they touch it. It makes sense, a sheitel can easily be killed by over blowing or handling and they don't know what happened in between.

I don't think you will find someone who will stand behind a wig 18 months later that they don't know how it was treated.

If it is just the hair in the back that is missing you may be able to replace it for $200 - 400. Front hair is more expensive.

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:17 am
yes, it makes sense that she can't really fight for me at this point, but I didn't expect it to lose so much hair so quickly.... it's missing a ton of hair, and I don't think I am going to replace it at this point.

anyway, moving on.

Any suggestions of where to buy going forward?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels