Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help! too much leftover cholent. What do I do???
1  2  Next

malkacooks

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:41 am
Ladies,

I need your help. I sponsored a huge kiddush this week and the caterer gave me 4 huge trays with leftover cholent. It seems such a waste to throw away. I put out a post on the shul's bulletin offering it to anyone that wants but so far no takers.

as its already monday I really want to make a decision as to what to do... do I freeze it? re purpose it into another recipe?

Please please give me some ideas.

Huge TIA

etky

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:59 am
I've frozen cholent once or twice and it was fine.
The only problematic ingredient are the potatoes which might be mushy after defrosting.
Are the potatoes in large pieces that you can pick out?
Even if not I'd freeze it anyway.
Would be a shame to waste all that food.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:14 am
my mother freezes cholent...it grosses me out to think about it, but if I were you perhaps offer it to a small yeshiva with bachurim for lunch...they eat anything thats free!

Moonlight

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:16 am
Cholent Patties! LOL!
I think a yeshiva would take it.

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:23 am
I don't throw away food, but leftover chulent is in a different category. Say goodbye

boysrus

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:34 am
call up local yeshivos. I am sure you will find one that will take it and offer it to their bachurim tongiht. you would be surprised what bochurim will eat!

malkacooks

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:56 am
I tried giving it away to the local kollel and yeshiva. both turned me down saying that once it left the shul and the mashgiach they wouldn't accept it (its been in my fridge since sat night).

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:58 am
malkacooks wrote:
I tried giving it away to the local kollel and yeshiva. both turned me down saying that once it left the shul and the mashgiach they wouldn't accept it (its been in my fridge since sat night).

What a shame! Perhaps a non kosher food kitchen would accept it. At least it wont be going to the garbage.

srbmom

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:01 am
I freeze cholent all the time. I defrost it Thursday night, and then dump it in the crockpot Friday afternoon with a little water. Doesn't taste any different to me or my kids.

sourstix

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:06 am
please throw it out. noones gonna eat food that is so many days old. if you think its still good then freeze it and keep it for yourself.

malkacooks

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:11 am
I dont understand how it is so old? its been 1 and 1\2 days

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:15 am
malkacooks wrote:

OP...I know that my mother also says the taste doesnt change when freezing. So perhaps freeze it and add water and follow what the previous poster says and use it yourself for Shabbos. Cholent holds up for a week as long as it's refrigerated, but if you freeze will last much longer.

pointyshoes

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:39 am
Chuck. It. Please.

anotherima

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:52 am
I also would toss it. I know the cholent from the caterer cost you plenty of money so it's aggravating! But just chuck it and forget about it.

WastingTime

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:00 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
ew, just throw it out. no one wants 3 day old cholent

I never get this school of thought. I have been to people's homes who take the remaining chulent at the end of the Shabbos meal and dump it straight into the garbage. By me, dh eats it for dinner one night during the week (even after 3 days). I add some water and paprika before reheating and it's perfectly fine, he's very happy with it. Chulent is much more versatile than much other food, not sure why it has such a bad rep!
Obviously not referring to OPs post, but in general I think its a real shame. IMHO, if you're gonna dump the leftovers, you might as well not bother making it to begin with.

pointyshoes

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:13 pm
WastingTime wrote:
I never get this school of thought. I have been to people's homes who take the remaining chulent at the end of the Shabbos meal and dump it straight into the garbage. By me, dh eats it for dinner one night during the week (even after 3 days). I add some water and paprika before reheating and it's perfectly fine, he's very happy with it. Chulent is much more versatile than much other food, not sure why it has such a bad rep!
Obviously not referring to OPs post, but in general I think its a real shame. IMHO, if you're gonna dump the leftovers, you might as well not bother making it to begin with.

Scratching Head

ez-pass

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:19 pm
I throw it out but I know someone who used to make it into chili she added spices and stuff and ate with tacos.
Personally I wouldn't touch but they liked it.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 12:53 pm
get a dog RUFF !!! RUFF !!!

oliveoil

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 1:26 pm
malkacooks wrote:

It's been 2 days since it was served. At least 3 since it was made, possibly 4.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 1:44 pm
My mother makes the best bean dip out of leftover cholent. Add garlic powder, salt, and hot sauce and blend in food processor. Meat and potatoes are ok to stay in. And you can freeze beam dip and use in tacos or something .
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics