Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Flying along with kids. Tips?? Mothers Helper??

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 4:40 pm
I am flying alone with 2 small kids and a nursing baby. International long flight. Has anyone done this successfully and want to share their tips?? I'm afraid I just dont have enough hands...

So far here's what I'm planning:
- put the kid who has accidents in a pullup b4 takeoff
- plan to let them watch any kids shows they want
- Thats it...

I'm also putting out feelers to find s/o on my flight I can pay to help me. Anyone done this? what are things I can ask them to do? How much to pay them?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 4:54 pm
Ive never done international...
but here's my experience flying alone with same age/type kids (5,3 and baby)

I try to make sure its late at night - this might sound crazy, but for my kids the later the better they are on the plane. Yes, there is the chance they will be insane in the airport, and really kvetchy, but with out fail , the bigger ones always fall asleep after take off.
The nursing baby for me is the easiest, on my lap the whole time, and nursing on and off.
I bring extra clothing for everyone including me!
Have lots of more diapers/pull ups/ wipes
and extra snacks also

Once kids wake up , letting them watch and play on my ipad is my only savior.

The hardest thing for me was getting them off the plane, waiting for my stroller, and then making our way down to baggage claim.
Someone nice ends up helping me ,either by holding my baby or my bags.
whenever I have flown, I've met someone (my parents/inlaws) at baggage so from there I wasn't alone bh.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 5:15 pm
I've also flown with those ages. And have also had the experience of being helped by strangers. There sometimes is no other way. (I.e. Flight attendant held my baby so I could use two hands to gather all of our stuff when the flight ended.) of course that is not something to count on, but I was really grateful when she offered, especially since the baby was snotty/sick and not at his cutest. She just pulled on gloves against the germs and was really gracious.

I did not bring iPad or anything but did pack other activities for the kids. Was careful to try and pick things they could use on their own without trouble, down to using colored pencils with flat sides that wouldn't roll off the tables. Each kid got their own bag with activities and a lunch box just like for school with containers they could open and close themselves, so hopefully I could hold/nurse sleeping baby. I tried to make it so I would not have to personally dispense food, or at least be involved as little as possible.

Counterintuitive: on one flight we had two seats on one side of the aisle and one on the other. I sat myself away from them. This way 5 yr old helped 3 yr old and they didn't disturb baby as much. Obv every family is different.

On one flight we lucked out and there was an extra seat near me! I was happy I had car seat along. That was luxury living. To be able to put the baby down for a bit here or there. Not sure what tip to pass on from this... Bring car seat/snap n go? Rather than regular stroller.

Oh this is a big one... Baby carrier! Can wear baby while doing things on plane and also makes getting to flight, boarding, getting luggage etc so much easier. In airport I wore baby and had bags or younger kid sitting in car seat in snap n go.

Also: get a suitcase that is easy to wheel. Someone lent us a great suitcase with really easy wheels... 5 yr old was actually able to pull/push it. She enjoyed helping and it really was a help.

French toast is filling and not crumby, for kids who might make a mess with a sandwich unaided.

Oh and I totally second the pull-up.

That's all I can think of for now. And I never did international with kids. You're a hero.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 5:18 pm
Wow, amazing tips. Thanks!! Anyone else is free to chime in : )

Marion

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 10:30 am
I did international on my own, but only with two kids (1.10 and newborn at the time). Newborn was easy, he slept a lot. Which allowed me to spend time with the "older" child. Choose your airline wisely. The cabin crew (flight attendants) were wonderful; they held a baby or sat with the other one so I could use the bathroom. They brought me my meal AFTER my son had already eaten, so I could help him and mine was still warm.

Tips:
Wear your youngest in a carrier and use the stroller for the other one(s).
Pack finger food. There is no guarantee they will eat the airline meals!

You are entitled to 3 carryon bags and a diaper bag. Make one of the carryon bags a small suitcase (make sure it meets the airline's requirements) and pack a clean change of clothes for yourself as well as each child. And then pack a second one in case your luggage gets "delayed".

If your kids aren't used to walking long distances teach them how to do that BEFORE you get to the airport. Practice walking in crowds (holding on to the sides of the stroller).

Even if you don't generally do it, consider dressing everyone to match for the flight. It will make it easier for airport staff to identify a child as yours if you do somehow get separated in a crowd.

Contact your airport's accessibility team and find out if you can get a "golf cart" from security/passport control to your gate, or from your gate to passport control (on arrival). Budget to pay for a porter to schlep your luggage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children