Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Bungalow considerations
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

seeker

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 1:59 pm
We'll be spending the summer in a bungalow colony for the first time and I'm wondering what things experienced bungalow-goers know that I should be prepared for in advance. I went as a kid but have never been the one planning for the family.

Please bear in mind that I am looking to spend as little as possible so I would like to know 1) What is the bare minimum necessary to equip us for survival, and 2) What things I wouldn't think of that are SO helpful and SO worthwhile that we should get them anyway.

I'm expecting to need more bathing suits and towels than in the city because some will constantly be wet. We'll also need cover-ups to get to and from the pool because going to the pool fully dressed is surely a city thing.

I'm having a disagreement with someone about footwear. I say my kids lived the last couple of summers in saltwater sandals which are good for wet and dry, rinse off easily, and dry relatively quickly. The someone says they need both sneakers and sandals to switch off when one is wet, and that you can't wear sandals in wet. I said when it's wet you wear rain boots. And when it's just a little wet, the sandals are waterproof. Skip the socks except while hiking in tall grass, it's the summer and they're little. So can someone who takes kids to the country please settle this: What footwear do my kids need and how much of it? Do they need separate sneakers and water shoes and stick to water shoes that are easier to slip on (saltwater sandals are a classic buckle. One of my kids is good at buckling, the other hasn't had much chance to try yet)? Are waterproof sandals and rain boots enough? Sneakers and sandals and flipflops and watershoes and rain boots and clogs and flippers and snowshoes?

We'll probably need another raincoat. I have one of those one-size-fits-all-kids poncho type raincoat from Amazing Savings that was big on my big one a couple of years ago but should be passable now, but I don't think I have anything that currently fits the smaller one. Any leads?

OK please advise on the footwear ASAP (school shoes are officially outgrown already, want to know what to replace them with, with an eye toward summer) and enlighten me about what else I don't know.

mfb

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 2:13 pm
It all depends which place you will be going to. Some places are all about brand names and keeping up with the johnses... While in other places it doesn't matter at all what you wear.
(I know its unfortunate)
My kids live in crocs, but they all have sneakers for when they go on trips...

seeker

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 2:24 pm
Regardless of what others in our surroundings are doing we are definitely not keeping up with the joneses. I am talking practicality only. Practically I am sure we will need extra swimwear and rainwear. Practically I am not sure whether an extra pair of footthings are a necessity or a luxury because where I come from everything is paved. See? I don't do crocs ever because I feel they are not good for the feet. I like something that holds the foot more. So if we are going to go with full-time casual waterproof footwear I'd go with either waterproof sandals or knockoff keens.

Also, forgot to mention, I have very limited capacity for bringing things along so we really need to stick to the basics. A regular car (not minivan, but with roomy trunk) taking 2 trips, at least one of which will include 2 children.

FineOrthodox

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 2:39 pm
I managed just fine with a pair of shoes and a pair of washable Tom's sneakers. Saltwater sandals are not very supportive (IME). Even if they are waterproof they're not comfortable when wet. We use crocs here instead of rain Boots. My kids sweat and refuse to wear rain boots in the summer.

FineOrthodox

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 2:45 pm
Oh and towels. I never had enough lol
And raincoats for kids, you can find those cheap ones by Amazing savings or target, thin plastic but with snaps. The one size ponchos tear and the heavy duty ones from the dry good shops are way too thick and heavy in the heat.

seeker

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 2:57 pm
Sandals are not going to be as supportive as shoes but it's better than crocs where your feet just sort of float around in them, they tend to fall off at inconvenient times, and they aren't really safe to run in.

FineOrthodox

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:00 pm
I mentioned crocs instead of boots (not instead of sandals) to wear while it actually rains and to jump in puddles/play in mud.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:02 pm
At minimum I think you need:

Crocs/sandals
Sneakers (lace up or slip on)
Rain boots
Shabbos shoes

seeker

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:03 pm
I'd be open to sandals that are not saltwater sandals, too. Like these or something www.amazon.com/Timberland-Adve.....ndals
My preference for the saltwater sandals is basically that they look more respectable and shoe-like so I don't feel funny having my kids wear them on Shabbos, or for the last few weeks of school. They are also very durable, no idea how the rubbery ones hold up. My last pair took us all the way through two summers as the primary footwear. The sole is about half worn looking, other than that they could just as well be new. I'm undecided whether DD#2 will wear them as watershoes this summer or if she should have something easier to put on and without the wear on the sole. She already has chunky sneakers for most of the time because she needed something that can support her orthotic insoles.

seeker

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:05 pm
FineOrthodox wrote:
I mentioned crocs instead of boots (not instead of sandals) to wear while it actually rains and to jump in puddles/play in mud.

Ah. A different reply above you had crocs as the primary footwear. I also know other people who do that. Doesn't sit well with me but to each their own, the kids who do it look perfectly comfortable so what do I know.

FineOrthodox

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:11 pm
seeker wrote:
Ah. A different reply above you had crocs as the primary footwear. I also know other people who do that. Doesn't sit well with me but to each their own, the kids who do it look perfectly comfortable so what do I know.

My girls wear crocs just fine and prefer them over any other footwear anytime. My son though, always always manages to trip or fall when he wears crocs. And he can't walk steps in them either. I assume it depends on the child?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:14 pm
You definitely need more than one footwear option. You can decide how you want to go about that but one pair (sandals or otherwise) is not enough for the muddy grassy wet landscape upstate. And you definitely need a closed shoe option for chilly or damp or sandy or insect filled days.

FineOrthodox

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:16 pm
Sweaters (more than one) is a must. And warm pajamas. I don't know where exactly you'll be but warm pajamas always came in handy.
From experience, kids enjoyed their shovel n buckets, big trucks and bikes more than any other toys. I do have crayons, coloring books and a puzzle I know they really like for when it rains too badly to be outdoors.

mfb

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:21 pm
I don't use rainboots anymore.
Kids don't like them. They wear their crocs when it rains, and we wipe it out with a papertowel when they come in.

pause

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:25 pm
You'll need a country carriage to transport stuff from your car to your bungalow. It can also be used for laundry if you don't have a washer/dryer in your unit. It's also great for transporting tired bigger kids when you go out at night. Something you don't care if it stays outside and gets wet.

You'll probably want some kind of outdoor chair/s for sitting or lounging in front of your bungalow or on the porch.

Kids get way dirtier/wetter in the country than in the city. Plan for many clothing changes. And clothing that you don't care if it gets ruined.

FineOrthodox

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 3:26 pm
Just found this old thread, has some detailed lists
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....rt=20

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 4:01 pm
One pair of footwear is kind of risky. They get lost outside, ripped, wet, muddy... Also, buckled sandals would be a pain at the pool- then if she needs the bathroom, you have to hurry to get them on and then back off again when you get back. She may also want something easy to put on after a bath, or for going out on the porch in pajamas. My kids always had sneakers and crocs, though I agree that crocs are not great for all day.

It does get cold, especially at night in August, so you need warm pajamas and light jackets. Chalk and balls and bikes are fun.

I always use the lists in the thread that fineorthodox linked and use them to make my own list.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 4:53 pm
you need 2 pairs of sneakers ... kids run amok they get wet and you always need a dry pair to change into

http://www.dsw.com/kids+shoes/.....49411

something like this is comfortable enough to wear rain, snow, sleet or sunshine

I would think shabbos shoes would be a total waste of time & space & monies

you need a lot of hooded sweatshirts to layer up when it's chilly

seeker

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 5:11 pm
Thanks all! Checking out the link now.

Greenfire, that actually looks quite like what little DD had last year, or was it two years ago... nice idea, maybe I'll go that route again for the wet shoes and then get more dignified sneakers for the end of school/shabbos/dry spells.

I think we're pretty good in the sweatshirt department, though I probably shouldn't have been so quick to pass up the extras because they are liable to get dirty fast. Each kid has at least 2 that fit, though, including at least one thicker one and one thinner one, and there may be more around here somewhere.

Regarding warm pajamas/thicker jackets/heavy blankets - I am aware that country gets cold, but do I need to worry about July or if space is an issue could I get away with leaving them packed up at home for DH to bring when he comes visiting?

I do have a Maclaren on its last legs, thanks for the suggestion to bring it because I was totally hoping we would be ready to outgrow it by summer. It is a pain to push with 40-lb DD in it anywhere other than downhill on smooth sidewalk. So yes, country stroller material I suppose.

I'm thinking I can try to find a cheapo outdoor chair when we get there. Recall I am taking two midsize-carloads.

I sure hope we have enough many clothing changes. I definitely have clothes that don't mind getting ruined but I don't know about many. Will have to take stock.

mfb thanks for rainboot assurances; only one of my girls has ones that fit and it's nice to know I don't absolutely need for the other, other than jealousy which is a big issue around here lately Rolling Eyes

OK on to that other thread Smile

greenfire

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 5:38 pm
seeker wrote:

Greenfire, that actually looks quite like what little DD had last year, or was it two years ago... nice idea, maybe I'll go that route again for the wet shoes and then get more dignified sneakers for the end of school/shabbos/dry spells.
OK on to that other thread Smile

yes that other thread that left me searching on-line for little girl's narrow shoes ... lol
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics