Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Dark chicken cutlets vs light? How do they compare?
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:10 pm
I was considering getting dark chicken cutlets. How do they compare to light in terms of taste, health, appearance?

TIA

mha3484

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:19 pm
Dark are much tastier. More moist and juicy.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:19 pm
It just means it's dark meat, as opposed to white meat. If you like dark meat better (which I do), then it tastes better. If you like white meat better, then I guess it won't.

bigsis144

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:20 pm
Dark chicken cutlets come from the thighs, light come from breasts.

Dark have somewhat more fat (still much healthier than red meat, though), and therefore MUCH more flavor. But since thighs have more large bones in them, the cutlets come out a big more irregularly shaped. Chicken breasts are better for stuffing since they will make pristine pockets around stuffing; boneless thighs are perfect for grilling or cutting up into stir frys, shwarma, etc.

I personally prefer boneless thighs to breasts, but since they're more labor-intensive to debone, they're usually more expensive than breasts (at least where I live).

greenfire

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:22 pm
people who don't like dark chicken won't eat them ... like me Cheese

and the white is healthier and can be moist if you don't burn them

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:23 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Dark chicken cutlets come from the thighs, light come from breasts.

Dark have somewhat more fat (still much healthier than red meat, though), and therefore MUCH more flavor. But since thighs have more large bones in them, the cutlets come out a big more irregularly shaped. Chicken breasts are better for stuffing since they will make pristine pockets around stuffing; boneless thighs are perfect for grilling or cutting up into stir frys, shwarma, etc.

I personally prefer boneless thighs to breasts, but since they're more labor-intensive to debone, they're usually more expensive than breasts (at least where I live).

Thank you.

I do definitely prefer dark chicken to light. Does it come with hard parts in it? Is it unappetizing to deal with (pregnant...)?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:23 pm
greenfire wrote:
people who don't like dark chicken won't eat them ... like me Cheese

and the white is healthier and can be moist if you don't burn them

I always find the white dry, and I don't burn them Wink

allthingsblue

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:24 pm
Dark chicken cutlets have more fat than white chicken cutlets. They are naturally more moist. But I prefer white chicken cutlets, as they are healthier and taste delicious in many different ways. If you marinate and then grill or broil the white cutlets, you'll have a tasty, moist product.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:24 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Dark are much tastier. More moist and juicy.

Thanks. do you use them the same way? is it good for shnitzel?

mha3484

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:26 pm
They are great when preg. You can season them and bake on a cookie sheet which takes almost no effort and they make great slow cooker meals. They are much more forgiving when it comes to drying out so you dont have to babysit them.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:27 pm
I have made schitzel many times. They are yummy. I almost never use white meat we like these much better.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:32 pm
Boneless, skinless thighs are my go-to chicken cut. I rarely buy breasts, unless I'm doing a stir fry, where I slice them thin and cook them very quickly.

Thighs are SO versatile, and nearly impossible to mess up. I have ADD, and if I get distracted and overcook them a bit, it's not the end of the world. White meat is much less forgiving! embarrassed

cnc

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:46 pm
Dark tastes much better.
White are much healthier.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:48 pm
I use dark chicken cutlets for grilling and shwarma. It's delicious but more chewy and fatty.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:54 pm
I find dark meat cutlets to be tastier but much more of a pain to clean than white meat cutlets. They're also more expensive, so I buy them as a treat.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 3:59 pm
I like them much better. They are slightly higher in fat and calories but nothing crazy I think, so it shouldn't kill your diet. And since they are moist you will be less tempted to slather in mayo or other unhealthy sauces.

miri36

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 5:22 pm
I have never bought them but anyone I've eaten the dark ones by has had hard (cartilage?) pieces in it and fat. I really dislike that, I would never make it.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 5:37 pm
miri36 wrote:
I have never bought them but anyone I've eaten the dark ones by has had hard (cartilage?) pieces in it and fat. I really dislike that, I would never make it.

You can easily get rid of that if it bothers you. That's why I said that they're a pain to clean. It's doable, but it's annoying and time consuming.

sky

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 7:22 pm
Calorie wise Dark has more. I think it is 35 calories\oz for light and 55 calories\oz for dark.

I like dark better - find it more moist.

DH does not like dark cutlets. I'm not sure why not. There is more cartilage in the pieces. White is cleaner. But he just doesn't like the taste.

happy12

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 11:45 pm
Use kitchen shears to clean them. Then it is not really so hard.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen