Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Children being kicked out of class

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:13 am
Do you think it ever warrants for a child to be kicked out of class (not suspended) and/or sent to the principals office? If so, for what reasons and any specific age?

EBY

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:36 am
I kick out middle schoolers for excessive chatting/disrupting class, ovee the top chutzpa and bullying.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:44 am
If a child is disrupting the rest of the class and has not responded to in-class disciplinary measures, or if the child poses a danger to the other children in the classroom, then I think it is the teacher's obligation to the other students to have him removed from the classroom.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:58 am
Absolutely. Obviously it should be a last resort. Try everything else first. But if it's gotten to a point where the other kids can't learn, and no other measures are working, the rights of the other children to learn trump the right of the disruptive child to remain in the class.

Optione

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:59 am
DrMom wrote:
If a child is disrupting the rest of the class and has not responded to in-class disciplinary measures, or if the child poses a danger to the other children in the classroom, then I think it is the teacher's obligation to the other students to have him removed from the classroom.

This. I teach grades 4-6.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 6:21 am
I will never forget how my 2nd grade morah put me in first grade for whispering by tzedaka time. That is overboard in my opinion. 🙁🤐
I was usually a good kid, but in 8th grade my teacher kicked me out bec I said I was tired and would doze off during a class film.
I think a teacher needs to really try to understand a kid's misbehavior.
My mother worked very late hours and never signed my tests or homework. (I was home myself, so no one else to sign either) I always got into trouble for it. I did the work myself, but I had no way to get her to sign. If the teachers asked, I'd have explained. But no, they had zero interest.

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 6:59 am
So the consensus is if the child is disturbing the class, right? I really need to speak to the teacher. Do you think I should? It happened once and we didn't have PTA yet, but should be having soon. He was kicked out because he refused to do the work. He could not have been disturbing the class because just last year he didn't even speak to the teachers and was so quiet in school. Also there are only 5 kids in his class and to top it off, he's only in first grade. He didn't seem to care. He didn't tell me, one of his brothers did.

Bruria

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:37 pm
Yes, speak to the teacher, he is only in 1st grade and was not being disruptive! The teacher should have told you about it or sent you a note, but I think kicking him out of class in 1st grade when he was not disturbing anyone is completely unfair!Sometimes I wonder how do some people even get teaching degrees when they are clearly not meant to work with kids!

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:31 pm
I spoke to them today about it. It's not 100% clear exactly what happened, but it's taken of that it shouldn't happen again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children