Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Great professions for Frum Girls...what are they?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:16 am
Fox wrote:
Don't dismiss career ideas because of stereotypes or ignorance. I know one woman who makes $100K a year as a secretary and another who earns about the same running in-home playgroups and day care.

Fox, can you share more about how she does this? I have a daughter, homeschooled, who trained under an outstanding private playgroup teacher and who is in really high demand. She is absolutely fantastic at what she does, she loves those kids and they love her. How can she develop this into a lucrative professional career and one where she doesn't turn into a shmatta?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:49 am
I agree with nursing. schooling is cheaper/shorter than ot/st/pt. for a bsn you can get pell grant. I think the oppurtunity to do night hours is great. pay pretty decent. starting at 50k+. no take home work which is huge. lots of potential to take further. nurse practitioner/midwife/anesthesist.

Fox

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
Fox, can you share more about how she does this? I have a daughter, homeschooled, who trained under an outstanding private playgroup teacher and who is in really high demand. She is absolutely fantastic at what she does, she loves those kids and they love her. How can she develop this into a lucrative professional career and one where she doesn't turn into a shmatta?

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll give a few general thoughts that might be of benefit to others, and you can PM me if you'd like more specifics.

The key to standing out in any field is providing something that people need and will pay for. Child care is a natural because people have to go to work, and they'll pay their babysitter before their mortgage or rent.

So how does she stand out from other playgroups and child care facilities:

* She completely converted her basement for use in her business and keeps it looking professional and up-to-date. She spends a lot of time seeking equipment and supplies from day care businesses that are closing.

* She runs an organized play group but offers afternoon care for full-time working parents.

* She offers day care year-round, especially when other camps and schools are not in session.

* She offers lots of add-ons for additional fees, including early drop-off, late pick-up, homework help, day care on Sundays before Yomim Tovim, etc.

Your question about not turning into a shmatta is important. This is a full-time plus job, and I suspect she often does feel like a shmatta. I'm sure there are days when she would rather jump off a bridge than soothe another whining toddler.

But there is no such thing as a free lunch. I am unaware of any jobs where you can make $100K per year without ever being called upon to work insanely hard under difficult conditions. However, this woman very much wanted to work out of her home and be available to her family when needed, and she's accomplished that.

Which brings us back to the point about analyzing yourself. Most play group operators do not really want the kind of job that commands a high salary. They want their afternoons and evenings free; they don't want the complications of running a serious business. That's fine, but that's not $100K a year. If you're not honest with yourself about your priorities and abilities, you're going to have trouble finding your niche in the world of work.

momfrombrooklyn

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:17 pm
speech thetapy- in Lakewood it can be hard to find a job, but in Brooklyn there is a big need.

theotherone

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:33 pm
I agree with those who said therapies-specifically OT and PT. One of my children has been in one of the above therapies practically her entire life and we have met many many therapists over that time. I am sorry to say that the best therapists were almost always the non-Jewish ones. The frum ladies who do this were always running to pick their kid up from daycare or carpool.
We need more frum therapists who are REALLY good at what they do and devoted to their work, not just doing it for the paycheck.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:56 pm
Love your post, Powderblue! I was just coming here to suggest teaching a musical instrument.

I have a friend who is a brilliant painter, and she gives art classes to small groups of frum women. It's not a full time job, but it's enough to cover the costs of all the family's groceries and kids' clothes.

iluvy

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:47 pm
Another vote for computer science/software development.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:53 pm
I was talking to my neighbors friend on Sukkos who is a computer programmer. He developed his experience to the point where he can take on jobs at his leisure and is paid very very well. He was taking time off to be a stay at home parent because he could afford it.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:58 pm
Fox wrote:
I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll give a few general thoughts that might be of benefit to others, and you can PM me if you'd like more specifics.

snip

Thanks Fox! You gave me some great ideas and a clear vision to pass on to my dd.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:15 pm
Um, anything she wants to do??

eschaya

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:13 am
Just to temper the anti nurse opinion.... I became a nurse as a second career and I'm so happy with my decision. I have further continued on to become an NP in critical care and absolutely love it. It's not for everyone, but for those who have netiyah for science, caring, rapidly changing environment, it is definitely something to consider.
And the 12 hour shifts that some complain about? Most nurses I know love it for the flexibility it affords us. If my kid has a performance on monday, well, then I just won't work on monday! I can work sun, mon, and tues, and then go on a 6 day family trip without having to take vacation.
Another wonderful thing about nursing os the wide range of possibilities; you can work with adults or kids, in hospital or outpatient, critical care or primary care, labor and delivery or psych, informatics or population health.
I don't think anyone should become a nurse just because they're told it's a good job. But if you think your daughter may have the strengths and interests needed for this field, it's definitely something to consider.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics