Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Yelled at my sweet 5 year old I feel like ****

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:33 pm
Bedtime didnt go well. I had plans to go out and the babysitter came when 5 yr old was in bed but not sleeping yet. 3 year old was still up. Babysitter started washing dishes with 3 yr old in kitchen so I could get ready. 5 year old was still up by the time I was ready to go (she was supposed to have fallen asleep already). She caught wind of the fact that I was going and that babysitter was here. She started crying its not fair that 3 yr old gets to be up but not her. 3 yr old is put to bed at that point. Im anxious to leave already and am frustrated and annoyed at 5 yr olds behaviour - kvetchy and crying about the fact that she didnt stay up like the 3 yr old, she doesnt want me to go. I do not want to risk kids not going to sleep on time, so I decide to stay with them until they fall asleep. I sit next to her and stroke her head. But I am anxious about running late and feel pressure, plus annoyed at 5 yr olds behaviour that shes not just going to sleep. So, I yell at her multiple times- no talking, lay down, no more water, no trips yo the bathroom, stop talking already. I am not the loving, empathetic and patient mother I usually am at bedtime, bcs I feel this pressure to leave. In the end I didnt even go out, bcs Im pregnant and was too exhausted. Why why why could I have not have responded better..... my good sweet 5 yr old girl.... kids need to hear that they are good, that their ima loves them. She is sensitive- when I yell she cries and says 'dont yell at me', when I look at her angrily she cries and says dont look at me like that. Now my heart is bleeding and im not even sleeping and I didnt go out. This whole experience has been for nothing. Need encouragement

Shuly

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:03 pm
I think most mothers would have done way worse than just yell, so pat yourself on the back for not slapping her!
Kids are very forgiving. Tomorrow, you can apologize for yelling and tell her you love her. She will forgive you.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:30 pm
You are a good mother, bad mothers won't feel so bad about it. Tomorrow you'll kiss and hug her and explain her you were tired and she'll understand! Go to rest now! Hug

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 6:59 pm
Don't feel bad, we all do it and feel horribly guilty at some point. But next time just leave. You shouldn't have stayed with your kvetchy 5 year old. She got exactly the result she wanted (you not leaving) and now she'll do it again next time.

SparkleMom

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:53 pm
Thank you all for your replies!!!! I really appriciate it!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers