Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
My son is no longer wanted by the yeshiva
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 10:51 pm
boysrus wrote:
okay, I googled it - it is shaareiarazim.com

Op here: Thank you for the information but it looks like its for high school only my sone is going tinto eighth grade I am definitely going to call to find out it looks amazing.

cnc

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
Op here: Thank you for the information but it looks like its for high school only my sone is going tinto eighth grade I am definitely going to call to find out it looks amazing.

I saw their newsletter over Pesach. It looked amazing.

HappytoHS

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 1:53 am
Is the school just setting him adrift without making sure he finds a good placement for next year?

It sounds like your ds's self-esteem is shot and without that no one would be motivated. Would you consider homeschooling even temporarily to help him get comfortable with himself again before trying another school? Sort of a reset button. I've seen this work wonders for a few kids whose parents wanted them to go to school but they needed a separation between their past failures and bad experiences and their next try in order to maximize their chances for success. Or homeschooling long term. I've seen this work for many kids. Smile

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:27 am
It sounds like there are a bunch of highschool options. Some seem to keep the boys longer. Maybe one could take him a year early?
Outside of academics and behavior, is he mature in other ways, or could he be?
I would see the first year there to find himself and only start learning after anyways.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:49 am
Look into mesivta tiferes shmuel in brooklyn - they def have 7-8 th grade too ( possibly 7-8th grades have different name - but it's same building). Not sure how they are with LD, but they are much much easier than my son's other H.S, in both secular and LK. They really work with kids. Tuition is not bad, and you can ask for assistance

https://vimeo.com/96598153

http://www.flipdocs.com/showbo.....02#32

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 5:33 am
Iymnok wrote:
It sounds like there are a bunch of highschool options. Some seem to keep the boys longer. Maybe one could take him a year early?
Outside of academics and behavior, is he mature in other ways, or could he be?
I would see the first year there to find himself and only start learning after anyways.

Op here: both my husband and I have to work to keep a roof over our heads I don't think homeschooling will work. No he is not mature that's where the behavior comes in he doesn't get why school is important espieccially limidia kodesh.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 5:38 am
amother wrote:
Look into mesivta tiferes shmuel in brooklyn - they def have 7-8 th grade too ( possibly 7-8th grades have different name - but it's same building). Not sure how they are with LD, but they are much much easier than my son's other H.S, in both secular and LK. They really work with kids. Tuition is not bad, and you can ask for assistance
Op here: thanks for the suggestion but it looks like it might be to yesivesh and he definittly needs a place that is geared for a out of the box kid. He's getting kicked out of a school with very low learning levels and small classes his behavior is both fighting and extreme disrespect for the menhahel.

https://vimeo.com/96598153

http://www.flipdocs.com/showbo.....02#32

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 5:39 am
amother wrote:
Op here: both my husband and I have to work to keep a roof over our heads I don't think homeschooling will work. No he is not mature that's where the behavior comes in he doesn't get why school is important espieccially limidia kodesh.

I meant to send him to one of these special highschools a year early. Sorry I wasn't clear.
I'm looking at him being somewhere next year, then changing schools after just one year. That's three schools in three years.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 5:58 am
Iymnok wrote:
I meant to send him to one of these special highschools a year early. Sorry I wasn't clear.
I'm looking at him being somewhere next year, then changing schools after just one year. That's three schools in three years.

Op here: sorry I will see if one of these schools will take him in early unfourtunatly he is immature not mature I don't know if it's a good idea for him to be with high schools age kids. He has had problems with being teased for his imaturiaty and lashes out by getting into a physical fight.

srbmom

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:07 am
Look into Torah Trails in monsey. Its not a school, but they may be able to help your son with his self esteem and behavior

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:19 am
amother wrote:

Has your son ever been evaluated? The district actually does a pretty good job. You yourself can request an evaluation so youll know what the real issue is. Immaturity isnt a diagnosis.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:41 am
OP I wish I could help you , I cant think of any school in Monsey that would fit the bill, you may have to find him a school out of Monsey.
I just want to give you chizuk. My son started a mesivta when he was 13 1/2 . He was the youngest boy in the yeshiva and it was a problem. He also had the immaturity you are describing. The principals would text my DH all day saying "your son just walked out of class without permisson", "your son is not opening his book" , etc. they made us crazy!!!! And always complained how "immature" he is. They would not take him back for this year and honestly I did not want him to go to a school that never gave him a chance. He ended up in Degel Hatorah to repeat 9th grade (he is the age of a 9th grader, when he was younger he skipped a grade) His maturity has improved greatly, every Rebbe and teacher says he is one of the most behaved boys and that he is a really good kid, that he may lack motivation, but they can tell he will be a great adult....you cant imagine how much better he his, all in ONE year, because of a school change. I love Degel Hatorah, If I would have known about them before I would have sent all my sons there. The only difference is that my DS does not have LD....so I'm not sure if that school caters to that, yet it doesnt hurt to try. But I honestly believe your DS has a chance for a complete change, Hashem should help you find the right place for him

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 1:20 pm
re tiferas shmuel kids are def. not yeshivish, most are not wearing white shirts, etc, tons of sports and trips, actually made for boys who have struggle to sit and learn for long periods of time

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 1:45 pm
I know someone who did really well in TA in Baltimore, though I believe the tuition is quite costly.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 7:11 pm
There is a Rabbi Lapa in Lakewood who runs a small school for boys in grades 6-9

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:59 pm
Op here: Bizzydizzymommy
I hear your story and am so happy you for you.
Unfourtunatly degel hatorah is way to yeshivish we have internet and tv in my household. If I had the money and my son
Was not ld my kids would be in ashar not ysv and bais hachinuch.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 10:16 pm
In Baltimore there are a couple of yeshivas that might be suitable, I am trying to remember the names. They are for less academic kids, with more unconventional non academic classes, sorry for being so vague. There are usually boys from out of baltimore who board in peoples houses.

when I remember the names I will post them. maybe somebody else can think of them...

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
Has your son ever been evaluated? The district actually does a pretty good job. You yourself can request an evaluation so youll know what the real issue is. Immaturity isnt a diagnosis.

Yes he has a full iep he has been getting services since 13 months he has speech ot. Resouurce room p-3 the works he has dslexia with a probable audaurory processing which has never been definitive. He is classified by the disrict as ld he also has a behavoir modification program and a psycologist he has a normal iq he. Just learns dfferent and learning is tough which he has a very low fustration level which leads to behavoir school issues.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:37 pm
I am amother from before with some names of smaller yeshivas in baltimore. not sure if any of them are the kind of thing you are looking for, but I know htey have been successful with a lot of boys. Not sure if they are high schools only, or have middle school too.

Here is a link:
www.associated.org/communityresources/schools

the ones I had in mind are neimus hatorah, ahavas Torah and baltimore torah school.
it might be worth calling the numbers on the link and finding out more about these places.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 12:10 am
Regarding immaturity: if he does not have the social and emotional skills that his peers do I would hesitate to skip him up a grade. I didn't have the challenges your son did but I was skipped a grade due to academics and it was a disaster socially. I wish I'd been held back a year to let me catch up but it never happened and I suffered. Other parents in this situation now are advised to not skip their kids a year and to even have them repeat a grade because of this issue. The social and emotional aspect of school is huge.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics