Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone live in Jacksonville Florida?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:43 pm
Does anyone live in the Jacksonville Florida community that can tell me what it's like? How's the kosher food? Are there kosher restaurants? Are there Frum schools? Mikvah? How many families live there?

tichellady

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:50 pm
my friend is from there. I can ask her questions if you would like but I know from her that there are no kosher restaurants.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 10:08 am
I know people there.
As far as I know there are no kosher restaurants or official bakeries.
Yes small frum elementary, but not every grade, and no high schools.
Its pretty secluded so - for example for a bris you may have to fly in a mohel.
Hopefully someone who lives there can give you more information.
It sounds like a lovely community from what I've heard.
I just saw an ad in one of the papers where they were trying to advertise the community there may be a web site or more information some where because of that.
https://www.ou.org/community/u.....mily/

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 1:40 pm
Don't live there but am close to people who do. There is a mikva and a very small and warm elementary school. There is a rebbetzin who has a bakery for shabbos and yuntif. It's a very tight and friendly community with a real spectrum of people. Tuition is low and you can get a huge house for not a lot of money.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:52 pm
My cousin is a rabbi there. That's all I could offer, I'm not in touch with him. If you m me I could get you his name and stuff.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 7:17 am
Hi,
I am reviving this thread.
My DH got a job offer there and I want some info.
First of all. I would like to know what it is like.
What is the community like?
What is day care and school like?
in addition
I am a gym instructor and would like to be able to attend and work at a womans only gym.
Does such a thing exist there?
Would I be able to find a part time job?
any info would be appreciated.

noosheen

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 7:41 am
PM me.
I can give u a lot of info.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 8:47 pm
I have a friend who moved to jacksonville in the last few years. It's a small frum community, very friendly and welcoming. There is a big mix of people, and everyone is respected and respectful no matter where they come from or where they are now. There are super yeshivish families and families who are just learning about yiddeshkeit and everything in between. The shul has a lot of programming for both children and adults.

I think the school has around 50-60 students, nursery - 8th grade. The kids get really involved in the community and grow up feeling very important because they really matter there. (The same can be said for the adults - there is a lot more opportunity to get involved and make a difference than there is in a larger community.)

Housing is extremely affordable and nice. The houses are big, have big backyards (some with pools), and cost a fraction of the price of housing in the northeast. There are no kosher restaurants but there is plenty of kosher and even chalav yisrael food readily available in supermarkets. I think there might be a takeout pizza shop. Also, unlike southern Florida they do get different seasons in Jacksonville, with a very mild and pleasant winter.

I think my friend and her husband spent a shabbos there before they decided to move - maybe call the shul and see if that can be arranged for you. When we went to visit my friend we had a really nice time and were so impressed with the community. Good Luck!

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 6:49 pm
Jacksonville is a warm community - not only the weather, but the people too!

Kosher food - you can get chicken, meat, cholov yisrael, pizza takeout, fleishig take out (a caterer who provides take out meals for a person or group), Erev Shabbos/Yom Tov bakery. No proper restaurants. The closest one is over an hour away at Ormond Beach.

Frum schools - day school 3 years old through eigth grade

Mikvah - there are 2, one at Etz Chaim and one at Chabad a block and a half away

How many families - good question. Not sure. 40? 50?

We thought it was so small when we moved here, but we quickly got used to it and it is normal for us. We only notice the smallness when we get off the plane in a big city and see lots of frum people!

Low key community, whoever you are is just fine, kids grow up with your own values, authentic - not keeping up with the Joneses.

You can PM me if you want more info. I am happy to help.

mommy6

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 7:26 pm
Check out totallyjewishjax.org

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 5:41 pm
OP - did you move to Jacksonville yet? If so, what are your initial thoughts?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 12:16 am
Someone upthread mentioned low tuition.
Another thread had a link to school info, I think I saw about $9500/yr per kid.
Is that so? If yes, that’s not low at all...

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 12:18 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Someone upthread mentioned low tuition.
Another thread had a link to school info, I think I saw about $9500/yr per kid.
Is that so? If yes, that’s not low at all...

For oot it isn’t bad. Only ny and nj are lower. Compared to other cities like Baltimore or boca it’s pretty decent.
Even in Lakewood I pay 8500 elementary and 10500 high school and my oot siblings think it’s a joke of tuition.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:04 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
For oot it isn’t bad. Only ny and nj are lower. Compared to other cities like Baltimore or boca it’s pretty decent.
Even in Lakewood I pay 8500 elementary and 10500 high school and my oot siblings think it’s a joke of tuition.

In Lakewood, my kids elementary is around 5000-6000, and hs 6200.

Hence sticker shock.

In Jacksonville, is there multiple sibling discount? Otherwise, a family with 4-8 kids would have a 4000-7500 bill monthly.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 11:33 pm
bumping this up. does anyone have info on the community? how affordable are the housed? what is the school like?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:25 pm
Hi
3 bedroom houses start around $350k within the eruv, nicer bigger ones with a pool are $410k-$600k
There is a boys chabad school, a coed school (no boys high school) currently
There is a pizza place and meat restaurant and talks of a new restaurant opening
Winn-Dixie has a large selection of kosher food, as well as trader Joe's, whole foods, Publix, Walmart, Target, etc.
Overall, it's a great option if you don't want to feel in-town in Miami, Hollywood, etc., But still want to be in FL.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating