Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Grocery store pet peeve
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:16 pm
I never had an issue with that. No cashier ever told me a word. They are used to seeing big orders as I live in a community where people shop 1-2 full carts at a time.

justforfun87

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:26 pm
I only find this to happen at Trader Joes and it is just to make chippy small talk. Pretty sure they are told to engage the customer, its cute. Whatever.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:47 pm
I couldnt stand scented detergant so I bought an Unscented one. Cashier said that detergent needs scent and I should get a different one.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:51 pm
chaylle, I live in Lakewood too and I think I know exactly who you talking about.
The funny thing is that whenever I shop, I see he line is always empty...doesn't look like were the only ones. Nebach! I really feel sorry for her, she seems so grouchy all the time. Sad

tiredmommy

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 8:07 am
I get what the OP is saying. I don't think she minds casual chit chat but when the comments get personal or judgemental that's when it's annoying. I don't appreciate it either if someone comments on the size of my grocery order or that I chose an expensive item which they imply is extravagant. Keep your eyes on your own shopping cart people!

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 8:21 am
I'm not familiar with Trader Joe's. However, if they instigate a "chat" policy, they also need two lanes - "chat" and "fast" - otherwise some customers will be very unhappy!

amother
Black

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 8:44 am
Years ago there was a cashier at our local Pathmark that was very friendly and liked to speak to Jewish people. Ended up he was a missionary and people complained and I didn't see him anymore.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 9:44 am
Right after Purim Seasons in Lakewood had a HUGE sale on meat. I bought for myself and 2 send to 2 other family members OOT. My bill was close to $400 for only meat (we don't eat chicken and neither does one of the other families with a large family).
The cashier (not Jewish) asked if we are only permitted to buy meat for Passover during this week. She was really confused.

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
chaylle, I live in Lakewood too and I think I know exactly who you talking about.
The funny thing is that whenever I shop, I see he line is always empty...doesn't look like were the only ones. Nebach! I really feel sorry for her, she seems so grouchy all the time. Sad

I'd have to guess that (unfortunately) there is more than one cashier like this in Lakewood.

It is not my intention to speak L"H or be Motzi Shem Rah on a specific person...rather to discuss the idea that I can tolerate spending a few minutes being serviced by someone who is less than pleasant, by changing my own way of thinking.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 2:11 pm
tiredmommy wrote:
I get what the OP is saying. I don't think she minds casual chit chat but when the comments get personal or judgemental that's when it's annoying. I don't appreciate it either if someone comments on the size of my grocery order or that I chose an expensive item which they imply is extravagant. Keep your eyes on your own shopping cart people!

Op here. Thanks for explaining! You got it 100% right.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 2:21 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
In the state I was living in pot was quite legal (WA), and as long as it doesn't violate any health and safety standards, it's all good. Happy hippies are always fun to chat with. Very Happy

Considering how tense and crabby some Israelis can be (both Jewish and Arab), I think they should legalize it here, too. Some people REALLY need to loosen up. ChillPill Who knows, it might be the key to peace in the Middle East!

Ff ...you need to spend some time in BP
They make the israelis seem like gregarious party animals
My husband can spot a BP jerk a mile away

singleagain

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 6:12 pm
I once read a really cool story abt the relationship between a customer and cashier

http://blog.angryasianman.com/.....l?m=1

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 6:16 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh my gosh, that is SO wrong. Mad Drug store people should not speak until spoken to, and stick to the subject. "Where are the bandaids?" "Aisle 5, on the left." "Thank you." End of convo.

Is this sarcasm?

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 6:25 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Ff ...you need to spend some time in BP
They make the israelis seem like gregarious party animals
My husband can spot a BP jerk a mile away

What does this mean?!??

acemom

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
Is this sarcasm?

I agree with the poster you quoted and I don't think she meant it sarcastically.

If you consider the things you usually get in the drugstore, I don't think you would appreciate any comments when you ask a question or checkout. I know I wouldn't.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 7:57 pm
acemom wrote:
I agree with the poster you quoted and I don't think she meant it sarcastically.

If you consider the things you usually get in the drugstore, I don't think you would appreciate any comments when you ask a question or checkout. I know I wouldn't.

I agree with her too! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a fool of myself before doing so. Very Happy

Making a comment when someone is buying a pregnancy test is so insensitive and hurtful.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, May 14 2016, 7:08 pm
Things like that don't bother me even if it's personal for two reasons. One reason is because they're nobody to me, so I don't care and two which in a way contradicts the first reason, but because I rarely talk to anyone else, it's nice to have someone to talk to Rolling Eyes .

dancingqueen

Post Sat, May 14 2016, 9:50 pm
My personal opinion is that especially if you are visibly Jewish, especially orthodox, the checkout counter is a great place to make a kiddush Hashem. A smile, hello, some brief chit chat can go a long way towards making people who might not think highly of us revise their opinions!

Maya

Post Sat, May 14 2016, 10:05 pm
tiredmommy wrote:

Same.
Comments about expensive items bother me the most.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics