Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
White kitchen cabinets, do or don't?
Previous  1  2

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 9:40 pm
I am putting in a new kitchen in a house we bought and I am trying to decide whether to go with white cabinets or if it is too risky with little kids. I know this is not an important decision in the grand scheme of things but I will be stuck with these cabinets for a long time and I am really agonizing over which way to go. I love how white cabinets look but I don't want to be stuck with chipped or scratched cabinets. Op, are your white cabinets painted or laminate? I heard that painted cabinets can start to chip after a while but I am not sure if this is true. If anyone out there has had white cabinets for at least a year or two, can you share if you are happy with them and what type/brand they are? Also, can anyone out there with painted cabinets of any color share whether you have had any issues with scratches or peeling in the paint? Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 5:19 pm
Bump

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 5:21 pm
I built a home close to 2 years ago. Most of my kitchen has off white painted (and glazed) cabinetry and my island has dark brown stained wood. Note, I do not have small children here constantly. I like the way my off white painted cabinets look better than the stained ones. The stained ones easily scratch and show dirt, etc. while the painted ones barely show anything. They seem extremely sturdy. No chips, cracks, or anything. These are very high quality custom cabinets.

Simple1

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 6:05 pm
The biggest problem I have is the chipping
paint . I don't know if that's because of the quality. They wipe clean fairly easily, so thas not much of a problem. (Aside from mustard which is hard to get the stain off completely).

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 6:38 pm
I love white cabinets and I’m getting that in my new kitchen.
But
Black granite, IMO, is outdated.
A marble looking quartzite is much nicer.

spring chick

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 9:49 am
It depends on the quality of the paint.
A Chinese painted cabinet wont be as good quality finish as a high end American made cabinet

amother
Green

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 9:51 am
Simple1 wrote:
The biggest problem I have is the chipping
paint . I don't know if that's because of the quality. They wipe clean fairly easily, so thas not much of a problem. (Aside from mustard which is hard to get the stain off completely).

Same re. chipping paint. I thought maybe it was just the company we used. But I'm not happy about it.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 10:01 am
I put in a new kitchen last year, and was debating over the cabinet color. I LOVE white, but everyone was discouraging me for the lack of practicality...well I did it anyway and im thrilled.
Theyre Cubitac cabinets. Its wood, but im not certain what the finish on top is. Paint? Its kind of glossy, not the type to chip. Its amazing. I have very young kids who are constantly getting food and fingerprints on the cabinets and the stains wipe off easily with a damp cloth. Ive even waited a few weeks before removing some small stains and voila they just came right off! One orange/red stain needed a bit of windex (I use without ammonia to be safe).

Totally recommend it.

saralem

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:07 am
White ikea cabinets. I love them! So easy to keep clean.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:35 am
love white

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:36 pm
I like the idea of white, because while on a floor it's nice when dirt doesn't show so easily, on your cabinet doors you kind of want to know so you can keep them clean and hygienic, I think!

Mine are off-white melamine and do need some replacing due to aging but I think I would do it again. I have only one window and I think a dark wood would be way too gloomy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics