Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Advice on making cholent

BB1960

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 5:19 pm
I was wondering if there was a trick to making cholent in the crock pot to prevent it from over cooking and drying out. I make a vegetarian cholent and start it on low a few hours before shabbos and by the time we want to eat it on shabbos, it is over cooked.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 5:37 pm
BB1960 wrote:
I was wondering if there was a trick to making cholent in the crock pot to prevent it from over cooking and drying out. I make a vegetarian cholent and start it on low a few hours before shabbos and by the time we want to eat it on shabbos, it is over cooked.

Use enough water.
And if possible, turn it on right before shabbos. I too prefer saucy and not overcooked cholent and this is how I do it.
But even when I put it up at 12pm in Friday (the earliest I would put it up) it's still good and not overdone if I make sure there is enough water.
What are the proportions of ingredients in your mix? Maybe we can help figure out approximately how much water is needed.

shacn

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 11:56 am
you can try adding some olive oil as well.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:00 pm
I usually cook my chulent on on "high" all fri. afternoon. Right before shabbos I add a lot more water and taste. Usually I add more spices at that time (& kishaka). Then I change the setting to "low" - never leave it cooking on high all shabbos. It sounds like you just need to add more water. The whole top has to be covered in water.

Tsfas mommy

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 2:25 pm
I believe that according to halacha the cholent must be partially cooked at the time that shabbos begins. Turning on your slow cooker right before shabbos is a problem.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 2:41 pm
Tsfas mommy wrote:
I believe that according to halacha the cholent must be partially cooked at the time that shabbos begins. Turning on your slow cooker right before shabbos is a problem.

According to halacha, food being heated at the time shabbos comes in has to be either
1. 2/3rds cooked
2. fully raw

lavender_dew

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:08 pm
Yes, knowing the proportions of your ingredients will help.

Are you a strict vegetarian or did you simply want a veggie cholent? If you do eat meat, I find the more bones/fatty meat you add makes the texture better. If not, then definitely make sure you are using enough water. It should cover all the ingredients. Make sure you're adding chopped onions, also.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:11 pm
I think it's 1/3 (or 1/2 according to some) cooked, not 2/3
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus