Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Wood floor or tile in kitchen?
Previous  1  2

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 9:22 am
Expensive vinyl looks nice. Inexpensive vinyl looks...cheap.

I also have wood floors in my kitchen. We have had one flood that caused the floor to warp in that spot. It took a few weeks until the wood dried out and was no longer warped. A few floorboards discolored a bit in the grain and did not completely go back to normal.

Overall I much prefer wood to tile because of it's softer surface.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:10 am
realistically hard floors are unforgiving on a person's feet & legs and can leave you aching ... imagine standing in this kitchen on a busy erev yom tov

wood floors go a long way to absorb shock and can be readily treated to keep moisture out

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:16 am
Ok, so I'm not going to do actual wood after reading these replies- too prone to water damage.
For those who are saying that tile is hard on the legs and back, I currently have a kitchen mat in my rented tile (marble?) kitchen. I happen to love the look of our rented kitchen: it's large marble white tiles with grey accents. I wonder if that is costly to replicate.

Also, if I were to do a wood-look tile, would it be funny if I did grey in the kitchen, but had cherry wood in the living/dining room?

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
My friend just redid her kitchen and she used this picture for ideas:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/12.....cisco

She put in white cabinets, fantasy brown granite counter tops and tile floors that look like dark wood.
Her back splash is a bronze color, not gray like the picture.

It came out gorgeous!!

I love this!! I don't like the dark wood floor though- I think I would rather an arier, lighter, brighter look- either grey wood tiles, or whitish grey marble look tiles.
But I love the general concept and the backsplash. Thanks for posting!

amother
Beige

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:31 am
I did wood in the kitchen. I have a hard time standing as it is. I could not have the hardness of ceramic.
Laminate/vinal I found to cheep looking and it scratches very easily. I did a gray stain wood in the kitchen with 4 coats of comercial grade sealer. It looks amazing .I love it. No regrets. My dining room living room is a brown . It doesnt look funny. I very much recomend wood. I even had a child take a toy and scratch very hard back and forth accross the floor in one spot until I saw what was happening... unless you look at it closely you dont notice it.
There is no problem with water on a wood floor, as long as you dont leave it there and dry it up its fine. Ive been washing the wood with water and mr clean and a mop like any other floor. I just dont let it air dry I use a shmata to dry it up. This is how the floor people told me to wash the floor. No need for murphys oil and all that...
Good luck with what ever you choose.

pause

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:44 am
I love vinyl!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:41 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have ceramic tile in my kitchen. It might last forever, but there are some small cracks. Two of them happened when I had the floor professionally cleaned, which you need to do every so often because the grout gets really dirty and it's hard to really clean.

My sister just did laminate tiles - wood look - on her kitchen floor. Seems to be the "in thing". She did cherry cabinets, a grey marble granite look, grey wood laminate floors, and stainless appliances. It looks very nice and practical.

Where did she buy the vinyl tile and what type? Who installed it for her, someone in ny?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:42 pm
Op here. I ended up choosing wood-look porcelain tile in a gorgeous blue/brown color. Looks great!

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:59 pm
I have wood floors in my kitchen. I love the look but hate the floor. Ive had leaks and my floor looks horrible. When Im ready to replace, Im going to go with wood look laminate tiles

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 12:04 am
I put in expensive wood-like vinyl in a natural color. I didn't want to do tile because of my bad back, and was too nervous about wood. Natural color (like unstained wood) is very 'in' now. It gives the room a very airy feel. I did white cabinets, and a brownish-grey island.

So far I am very happy with it. Its pretty easy to sweep and mop. When I walk from my tiled hallway to the kitchen, I feel the difference on my feet. I am so happy I didn't end up doing tile.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics