Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Food, drink against anxiety?

smile

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 9:10 am
My 13 yrs DD is very sensitive and often scared of stuff. I wonder is there any food or drink which can help against her anxiety.
Is there anything she can eat or drink while she is anxious which would calm her down?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:32 am
My DD is almost 13, and we've been dealing with her anxiety since kindergarten. She's been to therapy, I've been to parenting classes, and I've read tons of books. It's so hard! I'm desperately not wanting to put her on medication - at least not yet.

One of the best ways to stop a panic attack, is to take a cold, wet washcloth, and put it over your eyes for 5 minutes. This is something she can for herself, and will give her more control.

For food, make sure she is getting lots of all of the B vitamins. You can google for which foods are best.

I like warm milk with a teaspoon of honey, but that's just me. Your child may or may not like it. When DD gets anxiety, she craves carbs, and I'm trying to break that habit. I encourage her to eat a vegetable or protein first, and if she still wants carbs after that, then we'll talk. Usually by then she's full of good food, and doesn't want the carbs after all.

Be very careful with giving food to address anxiety, because if presented wrong, it can lead to emotional eating and an unhealthy relationship with both her body and her food choices. Junk food boosts all the "happy chemicals" in your brain, in a way that carrot sticks do not. This can lead to food addiction, which leads to depression, which leads to overeating... Sad

PAMOM

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:35 am
Some people find the scent of lavender comforting and calming.

STMommy

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 12:55 pm
A cup of a decaf tea can be soothing.
Aromatherapy coupled with some mindfulness techniques is a great natural way to help her calm down. FF had amazing insight into the potential slippery slope of associating anxiety with particular foods.

mamita

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:25 pm
How about helping her get in touch and control of herself through such things as Feldenkrais or other guided movements that teach you what is going on with stress in muscles and to relax.
This together with cutting chemicals stabilizers sugars and white flours lowers the levels of anxiety and stress tremendously. But it takes time. Time to learn what's going on and what you can do. Time for the body to rid itself of these chemicals.
Its a long short way. Proactive instead of reactive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)