Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Infected Earring Hole - what to do?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 10:58 am
My DD2 has pierced ears since she's two months old. She now has an earring hole that is infected for a good few weeks, approx. 6 weeks. At first I applied tea tree oil with lanolin to the hole about twice daily. When that didn't work, I applied Bacitracin a few times daily. Each time the redness went down but if I stopped applying for a day, it came back. I finally removed her earring for two days and smeared it up at every opportunity. I had a hard time putting her earring back in as if the hole was starting to close up. It seemed that all was healed. Now a week later, it's back.

I don't think it's the material of the earring that is causing this because it's the earrings with which she was pierced, the best material out there and also because it's only happening to one hole. The other ear is and has always been completely fine.

How would you treat this?

esther11

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 11:56 am
Maybe take her to her pediatrician? I got my ears pierced when I was older, and at some point in high school one ear was badly infected. My doc gave me a pair of earrings to wear until it cleared up and they really helped. I don't remember the material of the earring a bit I do remember that the post was hollow to help drain the hole from pus or whatever.

CEF

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 2:42 pm
Apply generous amounts of salt water at least twice a day until it clears. (boil water and add lots of salt). Use cottonwool to apply. If area is red and with pus or even redness is spreading she needs antibiotics
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics