Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working for a workaholic

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 2:54 pm
I work for someone who will literally work 8am-1am every day, erev shabbos until sundown and all day sunday. My employer is nice to work for but I do have a problem with my setup. I have set hours of 9-5 and put in any extra time I can after hours. It is frustrating when I know that I have some work that I need to do which can be accomplished the next business day but my boss will not leave me that work to do. Anything work that is still open, even a project I am in the middle of working on he will finish off. I never sence that I can leave some thing for the next day becauae I know if I do then boss will finish it off at 12am, hence I am becoming a workaholic and growing increasingly anxious. I wish he would just give me more space. Help!!!

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:01 pm
bump

workaholicmama

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:49 pm
Sorry I cant offer you any advice. I know what you're talking about, in my case my boss is dh(so to speak, as we work together in our own business), so it's even harder....

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 10:43 pm
thanks

Merrymom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:46 am
Can you take the work home or hide it in a computer file?

5mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:42 am
Here's what worked for me:
Try asking him when you need to have a certain task completed. He could be one of those people who sees a job and has to finish it out of imaginary pressure. If he can recognize that not everything must be done immediately, he may calm down and let you do your thing.

spikta

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 4:22 am
Hey Boss, I've noticed you tend to finish off work that I've left myself for the next day. Could you tell me why that is?

<Listen to his answer, maybe there's something you haven't thought of, or maybe it's what you expect>

The reason I ask is because this seems like an ineffective use of time. Once I've already put in the overhead of getting into the project, familiarizing myself with the details, and planning out the next stages, it seems like a waste of your time for you to go and do that same work again.
What can I do to make you confident that the project will be finished on time without you having to do it yourself?

<Listen>

Would you like to give me a more exact timetable? Would me writing out a short workplan with time estimations work?
I see how much effort you put into the business and I'd really like to do what I can to make sure that we're both working at maximum efficiency.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics