Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Crafts to keep 2 eleven year old girls busy for the summer
Previous  1  2  3  Next

OutATowner

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 7:29 pm
Try Pintrest! Type in preteen crafts and there so many cool ideas!

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 7:32 pm
There is a store on 49-16 that sells crafts only. Go there one day with them and chose some activities.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:24 pm
Wow! Lots of great ideas. A trip to Walmart would be fun if we could get a ride. Baking is a good one.

Seeker, I would say I painted- in past tense. Haven't done much of that since having kids, except for decorating yarmulkes and Tzitzis. But I did supervise each the kids in painting a picture over the winter and they enjoyed it. I bet she would love to do another painting, especially together with her cousin this time.

The chances of me getting to a store in Brooklyn are not that great. I would love to order supplies online. I checked out Walmart, will get to Michael's next. Anyone know where I can order Succah decorating kits?

Notsobusy

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:37 pm
We did tie dying t-shirts, they loved it. I bought cheap canvas bags and they decorated them with puff paint and then used them for the rest of the summer. We made no-sew pillows using felt, like this http://www.google.com/url?sa=t.....GUkA.

We also went to Michaels, Walmart, Amazing Savings etc and bought some kits that they could do alone for when I had to work.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:54 pm
You can teach your girls jewelry-making; many pre-teens and teens love it. Earrings, necklaces, funky pins, etc... And it doesn't take as long as hook rugs or crocheting...

Walmart has great cheap supplies for this activity.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:46 am
Get an inexpensive sewing machine and if you don't know how to use it either hire another mother there or watch YouTube.
Their first project should be a hammock. It's really easy and could be made from old bedsheets.
Go to sew4home.com for home decorating and tutorials.
Once they master basic sewing, they could try quilting.
One thing I like about sewing is the practicality and usefulness of it as well as the quick results.
An A-line skirt could be made in under an hour.

losingweight

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:28 am
Chinuch crafts. 9146666690. This is for the velvet sequins kits. Google it to see samples.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:30 am
Thanks.

courage2218

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 3:49 pm
Can they get jobs as part-time mothers helpers?

seeker

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 5:45 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Wow! Lots of great ideas. A trip to Walmart would be fun if we could get a ride. Baking is a good one.

Seeker, I would say I painted- in past tense. Haven't done much of that since having kids, except for decorating yarmulkes and Tzitzis. But I did supervise each the kids in painting a picture over the winter and they enjoyed it. I bet she would love to do another painting, especially together with her cousin this time.

The chances of me getting to a store in Brooklyn are not that great. I would love to order supplies online. I checked out Walmart, will get to Michael's next. Anyone know where I can order Succah decorating kits?

If store-going is not so much your speed, take the girls to the library while you're still in the city and let them browse crafty books for inspiration. Crafty books are VERY inspirational. My library has a great selection on the adult nonfiction floor (3) - like half a row of just craft books. If they find something that turns them on you can even borrow some how-to books right then and there, and then order supplies to go with it when you get home.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 5:56 pm
courage2218 wrote:
Can they get jobs as part-time mothers helpers?
They are extremely excited to help me with my baby. However, they will be disappointed that I won't allow them to carry him around outside or take him where I can't see them. They're not as responsible as they think they are. Maybe a neighbor will also be happy to have some help.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 5:57 pm
seeker wrote:
If store-going is not so much your speed, take the girls to the library while you're still in the city and let them browse crafty books for inspiration. Crafty books are VERY inspirational. My library has a great selection on the adult nonfiction floor (3) - like half a row of just craft books. If they find something that turns them on you can even borrow some how-to books right then and there, and then order supplies to go with it when you get home.
That sounds like good idea.

simcha2

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:46 pm
Can you put them in charge of food and cooking? Let them go through recipe books and work out menus. They can learn budgeting, cooking techniques, clean up.

gande

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:50 pm
Sukka star can be found on amazon.
Puzzles

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:19 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Can you put them in charge of food and cooking? Let them go through recipe books and work out menus. They can learn budgeting, cooking techniques, clean up.
If we want to have cookies for supper, I suppose. Smile (She did that once.)

They can't do the shopping because we won't have a car there all week- I have to do all of my shopping for the week on Sundays. And dd won't want to clean up supper. She may be able to help me cook certain things, but I get worried about burns.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:20 pm
gande wrote:
Sukka star can be found on amazon.
Puzzles
Thanks. I will look. And I have to remember to bring up some of my puzzles.

gande

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:53 pm
One more thing I thought of. Quilling. There was a feature on it in one of the magazines and it sounded like fun for someone who has time and patience. You create pictures from rolled up strips of color paper

seeker

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:03 pm
gande wrote:
One more thing I thought of. Quilling. There was a feature on it in one of the magazines and it sounded like fun for someone who has time and patience. You create pictures from rolled up strips of color paper

It's good because it doesn't even need a ton of time and patience. If you have the time and patience then you make some intricate work of art, but if you decide to stop sooner that still turns out well. Not at all like losing interest in a hook rug after one day (not that I could possibly know. After all I could never have been 11 years old and bored in the summer... ahem.) And you're not out any big expenditure on materials. You can wrap the paper around a toothpick or a pencil, you can use pretty much any kind of paper, and glue. And scissors. And maybe markers or paints to add more decorations aside from the quilling.

By the way I know mobility is an issue but if you want to host a craft camp, Amazing Savings should be your new best friend. I have found such fun art/craft randomness at really great prices. Of course they also have the usual cheap that is cheap, but there is always at least something good and from time to time a real find. for better or worse I have already managed to corrupt my kids and every time they have two pennies to rub together they beg me for a trip to Amazing Savings, but they always come away with a good bang for their buck. Great source for glitter, interesting papers, and other arty crafty supplies.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:57 am
I actually thought of that article. I wish I still had it. I couldn't remember what they called it. Maybe if I google quilling, it will show me some tips and ideas.

Amazing Savings is right down the road. I do stock up on art stuff there every summer.

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 7:11 am
I saw a book at the library the other day:

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute.....62997

It has a ton of projects to do, and lists all the supplies to get started.its an initial outlay of money, but I imagine that going thru these projects will keep them occupied all summer!

Another idea is for the two of them to make a little "take out" operation: making kugels and things for shabbos, and selling them to other residents.

woodpecker crafts is a great website to browse around on for ideas.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children