Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen peninsula-high top or flat?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:03 pm
We are making plans to redo our kitchen. The contractor suggested to split our peninsula with a higher side for the bar stools. It looks nice and o can see the convenience when serving breakfast.

However, we currently have young children and I can see the younger ones needing help getting onto such a high chair.

The other thing is that with a flat top, I can put a sink and appliance garage there and make that my pareve station. If this is not practical, there is a smaller area I can utilize for pareve but would have little counterspace for prep work. I also like the idea of having the flat top in that area so that my kids can help out with baking, cooking, etc.

What do you have in your kitchen? Which would you prefer and why?

Thanks!

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 7:57 pm
Sounds like the flat top works better for your needs.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:03 pm
From everything you wrote, flat sounds like a much better choice for you. Just remember that you will need more knee room depth with a 36" high counter than with a 42".

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:06 pm
When my kids were little my dream was to have a peninsula where I could bake with kids on the other side, instead of clinging to my feet and blocking my access to cabinets. My kitchen really didn't have room for it though. I often thought of a small cabinet on wheels that could be used that way and moved somewhere, but there wasn't really a somewhere either.

If you can have that convenience, I think you'll like it. If you can have the counter protrude on the side opposite you and put a few chairs under it, why not?

I'd be afraid of bar stools for kids, especially if you do a ceramic floor (I would NOT. I love my vinyl tile & it looks great over 20 years later! And BH nobody has broken any bones on it!).

amother
Gold

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:01 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
From everything you wrote, flat sounds like a much better choice for you. Just remember that you will need more knee room depth with a 36" high counter than with a 42".

What do you mean?
And would it be an option to raise that whole counter slightly? Do people do that?
And what are the pros of the hightop counter?

I've never done this before so I want to make sure I consider all the aspects. Thanks!

DrMom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:28 am
I am short and I find barstools very inconvenient. Whenever I see kids using barstools, it's a whole process to get on/off. I vote for for the lower option.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:21 am
amother wrote:

Rubber Ducky wrote:

What do you mean?
And would it be an option to raise that whole counter slightly? Do people do that?
And what are the pros of the hightop counter?

I've never done this before so I want to make sure I consider all the aspects. Thanks!

Your sitting angle is different with a 36" height than with 42". You need more counter overhang with the lower height if you want people to be able to sit at the counter with room for knees and feet to not get squashed. About 15" overhang instead of 12".

A major advantage of bar height counters is to hide the mess, so you see them a lot in open floor plans where the kitchen is open to more "formal" areas in the home. As far as sitting or standing there, the height works well for adults and teens to "hang out." Not so well for younger children.

Raising the seating part of the counter slightly will necessitate adjustable height or custom bar stools. Raising the entire counter means taller or raised base cabinets (either customized cabinets or a platform below them), and a working surface that may be uncomfortable unless you are tall.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen