Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Is Amazon Prime membership worth it?
Previous  1  2

gold21

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:02 am
Prime is totally worth it.

Amazon changed a lot of their policies recently (and not for the better, in my opinion), as Marina touched on above. It is, though, still an awesome site. And Prime is awesome.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:14 am
thanks wrote:
You can share Prime with four members of the household. They can set up their own username and password.

Thanks for the info. Even if they live at a different address?

potatoes

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:36 am
thanks wrote:
You can share Prime with four members of the household. They can set up their own username and password.

How do you do that?

teddyb

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:42 am
thanks wrote:
this is no longer the case since July 2015. Old accounts may be able to even if it wasn't set up before, but new accounts cannot. Chaval

madys

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:08 am
It depends on your shopping habits. I don't have prime, and I'm glad I don't. I would probably be spending a lot more money on things I don't really need. I subscribe to dansdeals, and he posts a lot of prime deals. If I had prime, I'd be scooping up these deals, and then I'd probably regret it when my credit card bill came Smile

I do a lot of comparison shopping, and I find that on ebay I can get alomst anything and most items have free shipping for the same price as Amazon.

Granted it takes time, but for me, time is money.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:35 am
The minimum order is only if you don't have prime or are ordering "add on" items. Add ons are small items they don't want to ship seperately. With prime you need I believe 35 total (with the add on) to get it shipped in 2 days.

If it is a prime order and it isn't there in 2 days (whenever they tell you at checkout "guarenteed by X date") call and they should extend your prime shipping benefits from what I read online.

You also get prime now (select cities) with prime. Download the app and get your order in 2 hours (or 1 hour for 7.99). Only what they sell via the app and a minimum order applies but it is useful... Other stores are included but when I tried it once it was places I never shopped at (restaurants etc).

Fox

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:50 am
Personally, I couldn't live without Amazon Prime, but I don't think there's one single correct answer to "Is it worth it?" You have to know your own spending and shopping habits, and you have to be realistic about your time and energy.

For example, I use the subscription program for a lot of household goods -- things like toilet tissue, laundry detergent, etc., are shipped to me automatically based on a schedule I set up.

The truth is that many of those items are actually cheaper at Sam's Club. But here's what happens in our family: A trip to Sam's Club is a huge deal for me; it takes a lot of time and energy, and I can't always fit it in on a predictable basis. So I end up delaying, and guess what? We run out of toilet tissue or laundry detergent, and I have to buy it at a local grocery store or even run to a convenience store to keep us going until I can make it to Sam's Club -- thus eliminating any savings and actually costing me more than if I'd just ordered through Amazon in the first place!

So if you're young, have plenty of energy, have easy access to a car, have time to bargain-hunt, and don't mind shopping, Amazon Prime may not be such a great deal for you. But if you work outside the home, don't have easy access to a car, etc., then it's a lifesaver!

Btw, I credit Amazon as the tipping point that allowed us to become a one-car family rather than a two-car family. Reducing the number and frequency of shopping trips made it a lot more practical.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 11:32 am
Fox wrote:
Personally, I couldn't live without Amazon Prime, but I don't think there's one single correct answer to "Is it worth it?" You have to know your own spending and shopping habits, and you have to be realistic about your time and energy.

For example, I use the subscription program for a lot of household goods -- things like toilet tissue, laundry detergent, etc., are shipped to me automatically based on a schedule I set up.

The truth is that many of those items are actually cheaper at Sam's Club. But here's what happens in our family: A trip to Sam's Club is a huge deal for me; it takes a lot of time and energy, and I can't always fit it in on a predictable basis. So I end up delaying, and guess what? We run out of toilet tissue or laundry detergent, and I have to buy it at a local grocery store or even run to a convenience store to keep us going until I can make it to Sam's Club -- thus eliminating any savings and actually costing me more than if I'd just ordered through Amazon in the first place!

So if you're young, have plenty of energy, have easy access to a car, have time to bargain-hunt, and don't mind shopping, Amazon Prime may not be such a great deal for you. But if you work outside the home, don't have easy access to a car, etc., then it's a lifesaver!

Btw, I credit Amazon as the tipping point that allowed us to become a one-car family rather than a two-car family. Reducing the number and frequency of shopping trips made it a lot more practical.

Just so you know, the subscribe and save feature is open to everyone- not just prime. Ships free too. You just may not get all the items or all the clip to save coupons. And you won't get the 20% off diaper subscriptions.
I got really cheap diapers the other week on amazon S&S- with a one time use coupon and the 20% I got diapers for half price shipped to my door (even better than using coupons in most deals at a store!!). Then cancelled the delivery after it shipped so I won't get the same one next month (without coupon, and likely the wrong size by then).

suzyq

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 3:44 pm
LOVE Prime! My husband and I both work full time and don't have the extra time to go to a bunch of different stores, so Amazon is my go-to for tons of stuff. The 2-day shipping is awesome, we have same day on some items available, and as an added bonus, there are free movies and TV shows online. Worth every penny!

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 3:53 pm
teddyb wrote:
this is no longer the case since July 2015. Old accounts may be able to even if it wasn't set up before, but new accounts cannot. Chaval

You should check that again. We started prime last fall and added family members to it in early this year.

cnc

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:06 pm
1091 wrote:
You should check that again. We started prime last fall and added family members to it in early this year.

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/71368

Did you add just one family member?
Because that poster is correct. You used to be able to share it between 5 families, now it's 2 adults and 4 children.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:40 pm
cnc wrote:
I pay $49 a month because I have a student email address (from quite a while ago I should add) , and it's totally worth it for me.
I order everything from there and it come within 2 days maximum. Most stuff are free returns too.

$49 a year?

cnc

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
$49 a year?

Whoooppps.
Yes $49 a year!

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:25 pm
Love it.

lizard8

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:32 pm
I pay $23 a year, as a member of a 'family', so it is totally worth it for me. We order on Amazon about twice a week. We buy electronics, batteries, diapers, kcups, detergent, anything we don't want to store hop for.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:45 pm
I love it - feels so great to receive little "presents" in the mail! We probably spend much more because of it. But I love being able to buy things based on consumer reviews.

sleepybeauty

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:50 pm
I'm a huge fan of Amazon. Some areas have prime now, so you can get free delivery on many items within 2 hours if you have amazon prime. It's amazing!

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 11:09 pm
Definitely worth it for me!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains