Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Am I being stubborn? No candy for snack in school?

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:25 am
My 8 year old is a huge nosher, wants to eat cookies, cake, chocolate or candies all day. Doesn't like much real food... I try my hardest to get her to eat at least normal suppers and breakfast the days that she's home. On school mornings she goes off w/o breakfast. the school does provide breakfast for them I'm not sure she eats every day so basically she eats snack some days as breakfast before lunch... Every day she begs me for candy for school and I don't let her take.. I feel at least if she's not eating normal meals let her noshing be from snacks and cookies and not candies... I'm also afraid once I give in and start giving her officially every day one or two candies she's just going to want more and more every day and that's it she'l be eating all day- and that's crazy! How do they function?
Am I mean for not giving into her? she begs me every morning for candy for snack.. what should I do?

BayMom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:33 am
In my house candy is only for Shabbos. I try to buy small packages so they get used up on Shabbos, then there's nothing in the house to beg for during the week.

ohmygosh

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:37 am
Take the temptation away - is there a reason you need to have candy in the house other than shabbos or yom tov? Keep pretzels or some cookies etc but get rid of the candy.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:43 am
Make candy and nosh less available in your home. Make healthy snacks more available. For example, if she likes pizza, a half slice is nourishing and can be eaten for breakfast — definitely better than potato chips.

Establish a few ground rules you can stick to, like (as a previous poster suggested) candy only on Shabbos/Yom Tov/Rosh Chodesh. If you are ambivalent, she will sense it. And if you are noshing all day too, consider limiting your nosh times to when she's not around.

edited to correct typo

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Mon, May 16 2016, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:14 am
You don't sound stubborn to me. My rule is that candy is only for Shabbos and Y"T. They can take one unhealthy snack for school- like cookies or chips- and one healthy snack- fruit or cereal or yogurt...

sky

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:23 am
Actual candy I don't let during the week. Its a hard rule that doesn't get broken so it is easy to inforce.

cookies\cakes\chips are more difficult. If EVERYONE (or at least the majority) is bringing snacks to school I cannot make my kids be the only ones who don't bring.
You also want to make sure your daughter isn't driving everyone nuts in school begging for what they have....

studying_torah

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:34 am
There's only.so much you can do. I insist on healthy snacks plus a less healthy like cookies or chips. Cleaning out kids briefcases for pessach, I found 10 string cheese (in each briefcase)! Apples slices etc.
The kids ate the unhealthy nosh, and either got candy and soda from friends or from their rebbes .
Confused

gold21

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 11:24 am
No, you cant send her candy to school! Thats not even filling if she is hungry. Its empty calories and... I dunno... not a good idea at all.

Cookies, yes. Filling snack bags, yes. (Popcorners, veggie straws, pretzels, etc.) Soursticks and mike and ikes, no.

lfab

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 11:32 am
My favorite school rule at my children's school-healthy snacks only. They are still young enough that the teachers actually do enforce the rule. They bring healthy snacks like fruit, veggies, yogurt, eggs, rice cakes etc. They also each get 1 "treat" snack per day such as pretzels, graham crackers, tea biscuits, etc. No cookies, chips, candy...

gold21

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 11:34 am
lfab wrote:
My favorite school rule at my children's school-healthy snacks only. They are still young enough that the teachers actually do enforce the rule. They bring healthy snacks like fruit, veggies, yogurt, eggs, rice cakes etc. They also each get 1 "treat" snack per day such as pretzels, graham crackers, tea biscuits, etc. No cookies, chips, candy...

What age range?
Many schools enforce this for preschool. Beyond that, though... not really.

pause

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:10 pm
gold21 wrote:
What age range?
My second grader still has the no-shehakol rule.

mamamia1

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:17 pm
gold21 wrote:
What age range?

How I wish they did!!!!

magenta

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:34 pm
What do you mean by candy? Would she be happy with 1-2 pieces of mentos or something similar? I think there's a greater chance of her at least eating lunch normally if she doesn't fill up with cookies.

anotherima

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:35 pm
Maybe on her next trip to the dentist the dentist can talk to her about how bad candy is for her teeth. Also the pediatrician can speak about healthy habits including healthy foods to eat.
Maybe there are some hobbies that she has or can do to distract her from this desire for candy. Is she bored? Maybe she can collect stickers or stationary or whatever kids do these days Smile Also, some people are just noshers, they can eat junk and not want real food and it's a challenge for them to eat properly. Good luck!

lfab

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:10 pm
gold21 wrote:
What age range?

Officially it's a school wide rule. My kids are in pre 1-a and 1st grade so I don't know at what age the teachers stop enforcing the rule. I do know that my children's morahs do enforce it though as my kids will sometimes tell me that so and so brought chips and morah said she couldn't eat them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children