Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Guilt after Death

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:49 pm
I just was struck with this random question:
Why do people feel guilty if they didn’t tell their loved ones they love them before they die? With their perfect view of the world from Above, wouldn’t the loved one know that they’re loved and it was just a hectic morning or whatever? I could see it being hard for the survivor because that’s their last memory so it is probably the strongest, but it seems people struggle with this for the affect on the deceased.
Thoughts?

observer

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 3:00 pm
Emotions are not always logical.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 3:01 pm
We only have a lifetime to tell our loved ones that we love them. If we miss that chance, we mourn the value that the person's life could have had. Instead, the person lived with a void where that love should have been, and there's no longer any way to go back and undo that.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 3:16 pm
there are a lot of things you want to tell a person - some not so pleasant ... one cannot control feelings of guilt or regret as they come with the territory

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:34 pm
How do we know a person feels guilty for this after they die?
However, there is an intense impulse in one's last moments to make sure their loved ones know they were loved. I would think that the dying person wants to tie up loose ends. And, it is a great kindness for those they leave behind.

agreer

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
Why do people feel guilty if they didn’t tell their loved ones they love them before they die? ?

I believe OP meant "Why do people feel guilty if they (the living) didn’t tell their loved ones (the now dead) they (the living) love them (the dead) before they (the dead) die?"

I think it's because everyone feels guilty for what they didn't do, and once the other person is dead, there's no way to rectify the situation.

imasoftov

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 6:27 am
amother wrote:
Why do people feel guilty if they didn’t tell their loved ones they love them before they die? With their perfect view of the world from Above, wouldn’t the loved one know that they’re loved and it was just a hectic morning or whatever? I could see it being hard for the survivor because that’s their last memory so it is probably the strongest, but it seems people struggle with this for the affect on the deceased.
Thoughts?

Is that so? Sources? Perhaps the deceased are unaffected by anything other than their own actions while alive?

Amarante

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:19 pm
I find it difficult to reconcile faith and normal feelings of grief since they do seem to be illogical although I understand emotions aren't logical.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:11 pm
agreer wrote:
I believe OP meant "Why do people feel guilty if they (the living) didn’t tell their loved ones (the now dead) they (the living) love them (the dead) before they (the dead) die?"

I think it's because everyone feels guilty for what they didn't do, and once the other person is dead, there's no way to rectify the situation.

Whoops. Yes. That's what I meant. Pronouns...

Guess it's just illogical...but it just seems weird that it's such a universal, illogical thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics