Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I think he had a psychotic break :'(
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:32 pm
I desperately need a child psychiatrist recommendation in Brooklyn. I already know about the Jewish Board, and I'm not interested in going that route. Money is not an issue. I called Relief and left a message, but I was told it could be a few days before I get a call back. I need someone now.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:39 pm
Anyone?

asp40

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:40 pm
If this is an emergency and you are concerned about your child's safety or the safety of others, you go to the emergency room now. Don't wait for a call back.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:42 pm
Hugs to you OP, I am sorry I don't know anyone there, but I know this must be so difficult to go through.
Hope this can give you some encouragement--I thought my son was totally psychotic and turns out he was "only" traumatized. He went to therapy and two years later he is 100% back to normal. May he have a refuah shelaima Hug

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:43 pm
I'm not concerned for his safety right now but I need a therapist that can make time for us as soon as possible.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:44 pm
amother wrote:
Hugs to you OP, I am sorry I don't know anyone there, but I know this must be so difficult to go through.
Hope this can give you some encouragement--I thought my son was totally psychotic and turns out he was "only" traumatized. He went to therapy and two years later he is 100% back to normal. May he have a refuah shelaima Hug

He's being a normal kid up until today. I'm at a complete loss. I don't know what to do.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:47 pm
How old is he and have you tried to talk to him?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:47 pm
Can you describe the behaviors? What is going in? How old is he?

If he displaying true out of character behavior, go straight to your pediatrician. He or she can help you figure out the next step, and if it really is a psychiatric emergency then facilitate immediate assistance.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:52 pm
I don't think this is something the pediatrician can help with, especially since he sees him only rarely for vaccines.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:53 pm
What I really need are numbers for child psychiatrists in the Brooklyn area.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:59 pm
I don't have any psychiatrist in Brooklyn to share with you.

However, depending on the age of the child, certain infections can cause behavioral and psychiatric reactions in children. Strep is one, which can cause PANDAS. First step is to rule out infection and to assess the nature of the disturbances. Next, if the child is physically healthy, a pediatrician can help you access psychiatric care if needed. Most quality psychiatrists have months long waiting lists. However, a physician is much more likely to squeeze a patient in if the phone call comes from a fellow physician.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:03 pm
Relief sent me to Dr. Halana Rothbort for ADHD diagnosis. She is off of Central Ave in the 5 towns. She is frum and really connected well with my son.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:09 pm
Dr. Hazami is suppose to be very good

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:10 pm
This is Dr. Rothbort's number: 516-506-1900. I was able to get an appointment fairly quickly when I took my son a few years ago.

Last edited by amother on Sun, May 22 2016, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:19 pm
sorry for what you are going through ... if indeed this child is having a psychotic breakdown - he can be evaluated in your nearest emergency room & they will provide referrals and/or hospitalization if necessary

Hug

amother
Plum

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:37 pm
There are medications that can do this too- I don't know if he's on any. I had a kid walking into random objects and getting lost a block from home, just wandering, because of migraine medicine being taken at the wrong time.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
He's being a normal kid up until today. I'm at a complete loss. I don't know what to do.

Dr. Schulman describes the start of pandas as sudden onset, parents can pinpoint the exact date which they said this child is not the child I know. Hug Email her now. She responds most mornings at 8am.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:44 pm
op, if you need to see someone now, a psychologist might be a good idea. I recommend Yael Taler, she's great.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:13 pm
Not Brooklyn but Manhatten and very good:Dr Elizabeth Feigelson. She does therapy and medication (if needed --doesn't automatically go to medications). Very well-trained and experienced; not frum if that matters.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:20 pm
I travelled from brooklyn to Dr Breuer in Hewlet. He was our savior.
516-821-9190
If what you are seeing is sudden I would explore if it is from a physical illness.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children