Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ticks

sunshine5

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:24 pm
My son and daughter both had a tick bite on chol hamoed. One was removed at pediatrician the other at an urgent care place, both were sent to lab and both got same instructions to put bacitrasin on bite site be aware for developing rash and no antibiotics. My sons came back positive for lyme, My pediatrician (whom I totally trust) said to come back in 6 weeks to do bloodwork.

Someone I know was lice checking her dd and noticed a tick in her scalp, went to her pediatrician they removed it and was told they dont send out ticks anymore to lab they just give antibiotics to all tick patients.

Im really confused. Does anyone here have experience with ticks. Although I completely trust my doctor I still wonder which way is the right approach.

momomany

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:50 pm
Afaik the appropriate treatment for lyme is 3 weeks of antibiotics. Im no naturalist and I give vaccines and antibiotics as needed, but why would someone dose their child for three weeks when it might not be necessary. Antibiotics are not candy. Giving a shorter period of antibiotics would not be effective if indeed the child does have lyme. So I dont believe that your friends pediatrician is being responsible
As far as not treating ur child, perhaps the pediatrician feels that the tiick was at a stage in ita.life cycle during which they cannot transmit or maybe the tick was not full of blood so the dr feels that it was not attached to ur child long enough to transmit lyme.
Make sure to carefully monitor for rash and also for fever or achiness or flulike symptoms. Anything out of the ordinany, even vague deserves follow up after a bite by an infected tick. I am a nervous nellie so I wouls request treatmebt probably. I wouldnt want to walk around for 3 weeks imagining tue illness incubating in my child

Last edited by momomany on Mon, May 16 2016, 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Notsobusy

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:02 pm
I'm confused, did your son test positive for lyme disease, or was it the tick that tested positive? I'm assuming if it was the tick, it's possible your son wasn't infected.

My pediatrician does not test ticks. He says to mark the date on a calendar, if there are any symptoms within 30 days then he will treat the child, he doesn't bother testing the child first.

My sister's pediatrician (in a different city) does test ticks. When I asked my pediatrician he said that where she lives it's more probable that the tick is a carrier.

My kids get 5-10 tick bites a summer, some years more, my husband and I have also been bitten. Only once did one of my children get the bulls eye that they describe, she was put on antibiotics right away. A few times my kids have had symptoms that could have been from lyme disease, he put them on antibiotics also.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:07 pm
as someone who is sick with lyme disease, please take this seriously. anyone bitten by ticks should be treated for lyme disease- there will not necessarily be a bulls eye rash or symptoms. Symptoms may not appear until years down the line. Its a very confusing disease and docs don't know a lot about it.
6 weeks of abx for kids minimum- amoxicillin under 8 and doxycycline over 8 yo. trust me I'm no abx lover either but its better than the disease.
IF you are in NY, go to see infectious disease doc Earnest Visconti in staten island and he will prescribe the treatment if your doc is resistant.

LALA2

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:08 pm
also, blood tests are VERY inaccurate when it comes to lyme disease - they should not be relied it. Lyme is treated by symptoms but like I said they may not always come right away.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:31 am
Oh my gosh, I am TERRIFIED of ticks! Where do y'all live, that you keep getting bitten?

momomany

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:11 am
5My Kids were bitten in the bungalow colony, poconos and lakewood
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics