Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Which appliance combo for milchig?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:12 am
I see a lot of people recommend a 12" 2-burner cooktop for milchig.

I also hear many use a large toaster oven for making pizza and such.
Some suggest over-the-range microwave, though you still have to bake somewhere.

I'm short and can't use an over-the-range oven.
A countertop one takes too much space.

What are my options then for both range- and oven- milchig cooking?

I'm confused how to complement a 12" cooktop with an oven (what type btw?).
And how does it help then to have a 12" top, if you still have to install the oven somewhere?
And of course you pay for two appliances, which is prob more expensive than one.

Is the 8" of counter space worth it for people to get a 2-burner cooktop?

Is it maybe better to get a narrow 20" range that comes with an oven, even though you have extra unused 2 burners?

Confused, help!

sky

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:22 am
extra burners can be used for pareve. It can always be useful.

You said you are too short for over the oven. But I have a convection oven microwave over my oven. It can be used to bake and microwave. But it doesn't toast.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:27 am
sky wrote:

You said you are too short for over the oven. But I have a convection oven microwave over my oven. It can be used to bake and microwave. But it doesn't toast.

Is it large enough to bake pizza for the family?
The ones I see on the market are about 1.1-1.2 cu.ft. Samsung and the like. Is that the type you have?

I'm 5'2", so over the range I'd probably not be able to reach, unless it's installed lower, like instead of an upper cabinet.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:35 am
sky wrote:
extra burners can be used for pareve. It can always be useful.

This kitchen has a regular full-size stove that I'd use for pareve, as it is far from counters that I can make milchig or fleishig. It is adjacent to counter that would be pareve, and has only a small 15" or so counter on the other side, which isn't large to be serve any useful purpose.

This kitchen is such a weird layout that I may have to have 3 separate cooktops to avoid carrying washed and prepped meat across the kitchen. Think washing cutlets, cutting them, breading and then running across the kitchen with plate or cutting board that drips juices and crumbs all over the place. Then go back to the sink while stuff is frying to keep prepping more.

Same if I want to make milchig pancake batter or eggs on one counter and then carry it over to the stove.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:38 am
I'm 5 ft tall and I can reach an over the range microwave. Are you sure you can't? As far as space, you have to decide what is important to you. More counter space, or more burners.

sky

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:40 am
I don't know the size of the oven. I think its more like 1.7, but not sure.

I have a fridgidaire and can fit 2 9x13s exactly, a little squished. (I use mine for pareve only).

I know there is a GE version that is a better internal layout. I believe it has 2 shelves.

I'm 5'4 and it is not very high at all. My kids are able to use it.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
I'm 5 ft tall and I can reach an over the range microwave. Are you sure you can't? As far as space, you have to decide what is important to you. More counter space, or more burners.

Now that you're saying it I'm not 100% sure I wouldn't be able to Smile

Hm, both are important because I have to both cook somewhere and have some counters. I can't install a special counter just for the toaster over.

Can your microwave bake though, or does it only rewarm? Stuff like pizza and baked ziti?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:46 am
sky wrote:
I don't know the size of the oven. I think its more like 1.7, but not sure.

I have a fridgidaire and can fit 2 9x13s exactly, a little squished. (I use mine for pareve only).

I know there is a GE version that is a better internal layout. I believe it has 2 shelves.

I'm 5'4 and it is not very high at all. My kids are able to use it.

Sky, I'm totally ignorant about these appliances.
Is your oven a combination of oven and microwave, meaning can you bake in it?

finprof

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:57 am
You could also consider an apartment size oven and range is you have the space. That way you can have it entirely separate. They make very small ones

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:12 am
finprof wrote:
You could also consider an apartment size oven and range is you have the space. That way you can have it entirely separate. They make very small ones

Thanks, I had thought that it may be easier to go with a 20" stove, even though it's going to provide me 2 unneeded burners.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:28 am
If you were my client, I'd ask you to think about how many burners you use when making milchiks. I usually use 3, so for me a 2-burner cooktop wouldn't be enough. I have a 24" range for milchiks; one burner is dedicated for pareve use.

If you have room for a small range, it's a good solution. Another possibility for you is a range with 2 ovens (replacing the range you have now) + a 2-burner cooktop.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:37 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If you were my client, I'd ask you to think about how many burners you use when making milchiks. I usually use 3, so for me a 2-burner cooktop wouldn't be enough. I have a 24" range for milchiks; one burner is dedicated for pareve use.

If you have room for a small range, it's a good solution. Another possibility for you is a range with 2 ovens (replacing the range you have now) + a 2-burner cooktop.

Rubberducky, I normally use only 2 burners for milchigs. Either 1-2 for cooking, or 2 at the same time for a double-burner griddle.

I thought about a double-oven stove, however, current stove has sufficient counterspace only on one side. The other side is a single cabinet/countertop and is adjacent to a door, so I can't extend that counter and turn it into a milchig or fleishig station.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:12 pm
OK... so a 2-burner cooktop (figure 12-15" wide) would be enough. You may be able to add one without seriously tearing apart your kitchen. How about trying out a portable 2-burner cooktop (not sunk into the counter) to see how it works for you?

Bigger solutions: Do you have room for a second range? Or you could combine a 2-burner cooktop with a small oven undercounter (NOT a toaster oven built in, that would be a fire hazard). Or could you move the door to get counterspace on both sides of the existing range?

It's hard to give specific advice without knowing more, (and I need to get back to paying clients) Very Happy

sky

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
Sky, I'm totally ignorant about these appliances.
Is your oven a combination of oven and microwave, meaning can you bake in it?

Yes. I do all my pareve baking - challah, cake, cookies, pies and some cooking - fish, sides, etc.
And it is an excellent microwave.

I've never used the convection mode.
It is a pain to clean.
Also need to switch around the shelves in between.

the shelves in my fridgidaire are the wrong heights for what I need. I've seen a GE and it looks much better.

sky

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:43 pm
Its also not very tall. Its pretty close to the oven because it also has a vent.
There are even cabinets on top that I can stretch to reach.
The top of the oven lines up with the second shelf of my top cabinets. Its not very high.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen