Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ChickenPox in Brooklyn Kids sent home
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:34 pm
Also, this makes me laugh a little at the lack of logic, though I understand why they did it. State law is now that K needs 2 vaccines, and this is active for a year already, so K and 1st. They also added it in for the older grades.
What that means is that an 8 yo can be allowed in school with one vaccine but not a 5 yo. There is less risk of a 5 yo who got 1 vaccine, say, a year ago, than an 8 yo who its been years since the vaccine (perhaps at 1).

suremom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
Except for those who have it internally, or pregnant women or boys becoming sterile...

if you have it when your young, all those people who you listed are not at risk.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
dont mean to nitpick (although im doing just that...) but your mom was an only child when her father was thirty. was she born right after marriage (or ttc) or did they wait a few years until they had her?
Not sure what's so hard to understand. My grandparents suffered from SIF. They very much wanted more children. I don't know many details, it's not something they were all that open about, but I know many doctors blamed the SIF on my grandfather's chickenpox. I don't know if that's really true- we're talking over 50 years ago, so who knows. But it might have been a factor. Adult chickenpox is definitely a nasty business, and even before the vaccinevaccine, there were who missed catching it as kids and caught it in adulthood.

suremom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:36 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Williamsburg is largely chassidish right? What's the reason that that community is against vaccinations (if they indeed are)?

'williamsburg' is not against vaccination Rolling Eyes some people within this pretty big community are.

mommyla

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:37 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
The first amother said that having chicken pox as an older adult was the reason she was an only child, but at the time she had chicken pox (and he subsequently caught it) she was 39 and already an only child. The second amother was just asking a question about the first ones post.

She said that her grandfather caught it from her mother (his daughter) when he was almost 30, and then didn't have any more children. They believe that his infertility was a result of the chicken pox. I didn't understand the second amother's question.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:37 pm
mommyla wrote:
Scratching Head What does that have to do with anything?

My father got the chicken pox as an adult when we caught it as kids. It was absolutely miserable. He was hospitalized. Adult chicken pox is not a joke.

I was not immunized - nobody was then - but I give the vaccine to my kids.

cuz she claims it made him sterile. so im wondering how easily he had his first one.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:38 pm
mommyla wrote:
She said that her grandfather caught it from her mother (his daughter) when he was almost 30, and then didn't have any more children. They believe that his infertility was a result of the chicken pox. I didn't understand the second amother's question.

I'm going to go back and read. I might have misunderstood.

suremom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:38 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
And 40 years ago no one thought that smoking was a big deal. You know there was no vaccine for it 20 years ago right?

and in 50 years from now who knows how safe vaccines will be rated?

suremom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:40 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I wish I knew. I work in a major NYC childrens hospital and we see tons and tons of unvaccinated Chassidic children (worse is when the doctors engage them in conversation about vaccination and they cite religious reasons!)

I would only cite religious reasons simply because I have a religious exemption and not a medical one that is not legal here. so I dont want them to use my words against me and revoke it. they are very good at that.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:41 pm
suremom wrote:
I would only cite religious reasons simply because I have a religious exemption and not a medical one that is not legal here. so I dont want them to use my words against me and revoke it. they are very good at that.

Who's they?

suremom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:42 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
This is a common misconception and the amother is right. Only people who get chickenpox can get shingles.

Person A who never had chicken pox can never get shingles.
Person B who was vaccinated against chicken pox will probably never get shingles.
Person C who had chicken pox may at some point get shingles.

I believe it's because the body never really eradicates chicken pox completely, the virus stays in the body, and in elderly people with lowered immunity who have had chicken pox it surfaces again as shingles.

the vaccine is also a live virus. so the entire reasoning is so accurate.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:43 pm
mommyla wrote:

You are right, I misunderstood.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:48 pm
I am a doctor in my 30's. I have already encountered 2 adult chicken pox patients. One, a frum woman in her 20's died when the virus attacked her lungs (varicella pneumonia), the other, a man in his 30's was in the ICU and then the hospital for almost 6 months (and then rehab) and needed extensive skin grafting and surgeries to repair the damage done to his skin.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:49 pm
Chicken pox is not considered dangerous until a child hits puberty. The truth is I should check my kids titer before trying to find an exposure. She may have had it. She had a few questionable lesions once. Also had a known exposure before 1 so maybe had a really mild case. She is no where near puberty though so I got a good few years to worry about it.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:53 pm
I never had chicken pox nor the vaccine. My kids are vaccinated, but my daughters school has a few cases of chicken pox (they did not label it an outbreak) and I'm panicking because I am pregnant.
I wish I could have been vaccinated as a kid and would not have to worry so much now!

Maybe

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:54 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I wish I knew. I work in a major NYC childrens hospital and we see tons and tons of unvaccinated Chassidic children (worse is when the doctors engage them in conversation about vaccination and they cite religious reasons!)

There is a growing holistic movement in many frum communities, citing religious reasons is the simplest way to avoid endless arguments.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:57 pm
Maybe wrote:
There is a growing holistic movement in many frum communities, citing religious reasons is the simplest way to avoid endless arguments.

Maybe so but its a lie. And it misrepresents Judiasm to the world at large.

chaiz

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
Chicken pox is not considered dangerous until a child hits puberty. .

That is not true. Often enough, chicken pox is just a very annoying and uncomfortable period of time. But for too many children there are complications and there are deaths due to chicken pox.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:05 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Maybe so but its a lie. And it misrepresents Judiasm to the world at large.

It's not a lie.

The Torah commands us to take care of our health.

There is no single interpretation of what that means.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:
It's not a lie.

The Torah commands us to take care of our health.

There is no single interpretation of what that means.

Here we go again.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics