Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Wearing black clothes to avoid food stains

amother
Amber

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:08 pm
I put this under household management because every morning when I'm deciding what to wear, I end up choosing the same black clothes. I actually strongly dislike wearing black as opposed to some who feel it's conservative and the way to go. However, as I do things around the house, my clothes always get a little splash of salad dressing here, a drip of olive oil there and then they're ruined. Anyone else feel me? I had a nice every day dress in a pretty blue color from one of the frum dress companies and now it's got 2 oil stains by the chest area. So almost $60 in the garbage right there. I washed it but it didn't come out. I have no time to keep changing my clothes every time I leave the house.

WastingTime

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:20 pm
I go out to work in the morning so I always put on "going out" clothes. When I come home and get to cooking dinner- if it's something very nice/delicate/ I really like or I am making something very messy or strong smelling (fried onions!) I will always change to "house clothes" polo shirt and long black skirt. If not, I will always put on an apron- which stays on until kids are in bed and dishes are done. We are not the women of the 50's who cook and bake while wearing designer blouses and pumps (although they did have those cute little aprons that covered only the waist area).
Also, there are many nice washable clothes out there- oil should only stain if the material is very delicate. Especially with a good stain remover.

bigsis144

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:21 pm
I also end up having lots of my clothes get ruined by water/oil stains. Unfortunately, I somehow only notice them AFTER I've worn them in public...

I find that busy, dark-colored patterns hide stains as well as or better than solids. For example, today I'm wearing a teal-and-brown tunic with a geometric medallion pattern on it that I've owned for 4 years. But the solid sage green tshirt I bought less than a year ago is already ruined and I'm so paranoid about wearing a lovely solid turquoise Shabbos jumper that it just hangs in my closet week after week...

kollel wife

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:34 pm
1. Dark clothes don't only have to be black. Try to always wear a dark skirt and just a light colored top.

2. When working with food or doing cleaning always wear an apron.

3. When I had babies I always used an apron with shoulders, not just straps - it's called a cobbler apron - usually short and floral - prevented the spit ups from getting on my clothes and is overall more protective than an ordinary apron.

http://www.carolwrightgifts.co.....1.cfm

allthingsblue

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:36 pm
Aprons...

doublemama

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:36 pm
Oil stains can be easily gotten out by pretreatng with a petroleum based dish detergent. This works even if the garment has been washed and dried already. I use Ajax or blue dawn and rub some in the stain and throw it into the hamper. It doesn't matter if it sits for a long time. I have had some sit for a week and washed it out with no problem. I have had success with a stain years old! It has to be petroleum based, not the natural brands like seventh generation.

Also I have house clothes and out clothes. This way if I am doing something messy I just out on the indoor clothes and I don't have to worry so much if I make a big mess in myself.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:37 pm
I tend to live in my polar fleece jacket so it absorbs most of my shmutz and then I just throw it in the wash.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 6:42 pm
don't wear clothes in the house ...

black looks like a blackboard with all the stuff still showing as much as a white canvas would
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics