Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Should I put doors in btwn living room and dining room?

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:35 am
Should I put doors in between living room and dining room?
Pros (as far as I can see): the couch and decor in the living room won't get destroyed by kids leaving the shabbos table etc. And I can have two different color schemes
Cons: it might make both rooms look too claustrophobic.
What do you think?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:37 am
Personally I like open spaces. But don't have very young kids at this time.

5mom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:49 am
If the kids don't go into the living room, are they going to sit nicely at the table? I think not. So have the open space.

Anyway, that gives you much more flexibility in the long run. You can host large groups, and families can stretch out.

Also, and this is just a matter of opinion, a different color scheme for every room gets dizzying. I find that a unified color scheme enlarges the space.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:55 am
We're renovating now with this very same option and ultimately we decided not to do it.

If you really want something in between you can do double doors that slide into the wall. I believe they're called pocket doors. The doors can stay in the wall most of the time so you have that open space, but when you need to separate the spaces for example if you're making a simcha in your house or Erev Pesach or if someone is visiting and sitting at your dining room table and you want them to have privacy, then you can pull out the doors and close it up.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:04 pm
Are the rooms right next to each other, or is there something in between? We have our dining room and living room separated by a little entrance hallway. Both rooms have doors. If they are completely separate rooms I say our doors, but if they are adjoining, no doors.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:10 pm
We're in middle of building a house and we opted not to do it. I like the open space the fluidity of coordinating decor, and the potential to host a simcha there.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:29 pm
True- I forgot about hosting a simcha.
Ok. No doors for us. Thanks for your input.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:30 pm
pocket doors ...

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:50 pm
amother wrote:
We're renovating now with this very same option and ultimately we decided not to do it.

If you really want something in between you can do double doors that slide into the wall. I believe they're called pocket doors. The doors can stay in the wall most of the time so you have that open space, but when you need to separate the spaces for example if you're making a simcha in your house or Erev Pesach or if someone is visiting and sitting at your dining room table and you want them to have privacy, then you can pull out the doors and close it up.

We have pocket doors and they're great for keeping the living area open to the dining room area while still maintaining the option for turning the living area into a private guest space if necessary. They really give us what we need.
But I would not suggest them unless you are really short on space like us. It does cut down on the openness of the room because the opening between the room can only be so wide, as there needs to be enough wall space on each side to hide the two doors, and yet the doors need to be wide enough to fill the entire opening when closed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics