Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
A new baby girl themed kiddush questions
1  2  Next

shayna82

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 1:21 pm
we are making a kiddush for my little girl next shabbos iyh.

aside from getting pink and girly color candys, I dont have anything planned that makes this kiddush stand out as a girl kiddush.

any ideas?

its a full kiddush in my house for friends and family

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 3:50 pm
Is such fanciness common by you? I have never ever seen such in crown heights.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 3:54 pm
I saw a beautiful thing by someone's kiddush that I copied for ds's first b-day party. Take pictures of dd and blow them up to be 8x10 and hang or place box frames of cute dd. Also, cookies with icing or pink sprinkles, etc. Everything in pink. Little cakes, little petit-fours(sp?) Pink flowers. Everything little and cute.

Here's an idea. - buy cookie cutters in flower shapes and cut out fruit - water melon, canteloupe and make flower platters or stick wooden sticks in them for a centerpiece dessert.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 4:05 pm
everything pink in terms of cookies and cupcake/cake icings. I saw s/o once had cookies spelling the baby's name (not to be eaten during the kiddush) or you can do cupcakes with baby's name with icing.

Nicole

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 8:03 pm
tablecloths, plates, and napkins in girly color themes.

shayna82

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:05 pm
thanks for your ideas everyone, some of them sound really interesting and not hard to do.

cm- no one said this was a fancy kiddush. a nice kiddush with a theme isnt necesarily "fancy"

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:15 pm
Shayna - there's nothing wrong with "fancy" some people just want to rain on others' parades....

Mishie

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 1:54 am
You can create a center-piece using a girly Teddy-Bear (maybe one wearing a Too-Too, or a pink one), you can put a head-band with a bow on "her" etc...
Then get a bunch of pink baloons (hilium) and tie with ribbons so it looks likes "she"'s holding them.

(I made one for my DD's Kuddush, it was really adorable!!!)

You can put the center-piece in such a way so it's higher up than everything else on the table.

Also, pink baloons and streamers all over the room.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 9:06 am
I'm not raining, I'm just asking if it's necessary. You just had a baby, right? Why do you have to do so much?

In C.H. NO ONE does that!

shayna82

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 1:44 pm
sorry to bust your bubble but whats done in crown heights dosnt dictate what others do around the world!

I dont do things because others do them too... Exclamation

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 1:57 pm
why spend money and time if you don't have to? what's wrong with just doing what's usually done?

in c.h., in my shul, it's a set kiddush. if you have a simcha and sponsor it, it's always done the same exact way.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 2:04 pm
I wanted to have one big party for dd, but was in no state to even attend one... please enjoy this one for me! and show us pics!! Very Happy

Estee2

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 8:32 pm
Of course it's great to make a Kiddush for a daughter !! Very Happy Very Happy

Boruch Hashem you have the strength for it.

After #3 for me, it would have to take a little bit more time to gather the Koach to entertain in my home !

Pink frosting, sprinkles... napkins, and maybe nice baby pink mini-
roses centerpiece would be a nice, simple, feminine
touch without going overboard.

It's the little things that count....

Enjoy her ! Mazel Tov ! Smile Very Happy

momto4

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 8:36 pm
just something to make it look fancier. my sil put small boxes on the table and the tablecloth spread out on top. she then put platters on these raised platforms as well as on the regular table. it looked really nice.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 8:40 pm
First of all, despite what some think, Crown Heights is not the center of the world. And just b/c what one does in a ch shul, doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't do it elsewhere. It's clear that Shayna wants to make something special for her daughters birth. Let her and either help her with ideas, or ....

There's no reason to be negative. This is a beautiful idea and people want simchas to be special. No just what everyone else does.

shayna82

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 8:47 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
why spend money and time if you don't have to? what's wrong with just doing what's usually done?

in c.h., in my shul, it's a set kiddush. if you have a simcha and sponsor it, it's always done the same exact way.

why is it that you are having a hard time seeing other peoples ways? usually done? in what circles? does it have to be the same thing everyone else does? I dont get it? what if you dont like what is served at the sponsored kiddush, what if you want to step out of what is normally done, is that a crime?

shayna82

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 8:49 pm
momto4, thats exactly what I was planning on doing, the desserts will be raised up high, as a favor to myself and fellow mothers who dont want their kids getting stomach aches from all the lower down nosh that is usally at their kids fingertips. a friend told me to get flowers and just have them sprawled out on the table , it will look really nice. the color scheme is purple and gold.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 9:14 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

The only difference btw a CH bar mizvah and a wedding is that there is no kallah at the CH bar mitzva. Yes, I living in both CH and small town, I can appreciate the lavish and the more modest. A simcha is a simcha. (And there is no usual way.) It doesnt sound like she's breaking the bank and going over board. A kidish for a girl is just as important as a celebration for a boy. Lubavitch for some reason dont make it such a big thing, like we might tend to combine kiddushis, make them 3 months later etc but its a huge segula for (the baby) finding a shidduch bizmanah. I know of a girl who had a very difficult time finding her bashert. Finally they wrote into the Rebbe and the Rebbe asked if the family had done a kidush for her when she was born. They realized they didnt. (so naturally they made one, and soon after she found her bashert.)

Now we live in a rather large community where familys....
a) do it the way you described, chock moose. sponser a kiddush etc..
b) do a joint kiddush with other families, a very modest one,
c) do something more elaborate (fun and creative but sensible) in their home.

Mazal Tov Shayna! Hashem should continue to shower you and your family with much nachas and brachos!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 9:41 pm
shayna82 wrote:
what if you dont like what is served at the sponsored kiddush, what if you want to step out of what is normally done, is that a crime?

Keeping up with the Johnses, so to speak, is a luxury which costs gelt. And if people try to outdo each other it defeats the purpose. Many communities have halls with set weddings - nothing extra. and ppl appreciate it.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 4:38 am
Maybe its cheaper for her to make a kiddush in her home than to sponser the one in shul. I know where I live, it would be MUCH cheaper for me to make a kiddush at home and either bake myself or have my friends drop things off and then put of a a big cholent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics